New Summit Prime 540 auto (1 Viewer)

Jun 11, 2021
Pinner, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar 540
Exp
Since 2019
Hi - Picking up our new Van in 2 weeks . Really looking forward to it after 2 years in our T6 Danbury. I’m aware of some negative comments but fingers crossed it will be ok. Even with the sky roof we will have so much more room to play with - hopefully we won’t experience to much of the noise and leaks that we have seen in some threads.
Hope all you other owners are enjoying yours 👍🏻

Wadski

Free Member
Dec 1, 2020
Oakham
Funster No
MH
Globecar PVC
Exp
Hi Jimjo,
I too was a little apprehensive before we picked up our Summit 640 prime two months ago but so far we are delighted with it.
Several long weekends away and a week in Norfolk last week. No problems with the van whatsoever and really love the extra space and feeling of openess the big front window gives.
We're currently parked in a brit stop near Scotch corner on our way to Inverness to see friends then a week or so touring Scotland. Really happy with our choice of van, I'm sure you'll feel the same. We also upgraded from a VW T5.1 👍

OP
OP
Jimjo
Jun 11, 2021
Pinner, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar 540
Exp
Since 2019
Hi Wadski - Many thanks for this - it’s very reassuring to hear such positive feedback - long may it continue! Sounds as though you’re getting full use of it - we love our trips up to Scotland and had a great trip to Oban a couple of weeks ago - hopefully that was our last trip with the rib bed! Have a safe trip. Regards Jimjo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
A Summit 540 is quite a small van in comparison to most on here, I expect it will feel like a Cathedral to you moving from a T6 😄
Enjoy, its all about FUN 👍👍

OP
OP
Jimjo
Jun 11, 2021
Pinner, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar 540
Exp
Since 2019
So long as the bed, loo and shower work I think we’ll be happy!
Thanks

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
So long as the bed, loo and shower work I think we’ll be happy!
Thanks

They are nice fresh-looking vans. The 540 will be particularly agile for off-grid camping so fill her up and enjoy :cool:

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Sounds good! Will do. Thanks Jimjo

.....and if you do experience any niggles with the van then be sure to PM me Jim as all you'll get from the main dealer is "We've never come across that fault before".

I've been there and got the T-shirt, lol.

Good luck, enjoy your new adventure and post some pics up when you get a moment.

All the best,

Andrew

OP
OP
Jimjo
Jun 11, 2021
Pinner, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar 540
Exp
Since 2019
Thanks - that’s very kind of you and I certainly will . Cheers

TomSmith

Free Member
Jan 18, 2022
Funster No
MH
VW California
Hi - Picking up our new Van in 2 weeks . Really looking forward to it after 2 years in our T6 Danbury. I’m aware of some negative comments but fingers crossed it will be ok. Even with the sky roof we will have so much more room to play with - hopefully we won’t experience to much of the noise and leaks that we have seen in some threads.
Hi Jimjo. Just picked up on your post from last year as I am currently in a similar situation to yours at that time. We have had many adventures in our VW California (T5.1 SE) & have decided we want that little bit more space to enjoy. we really like the look of the Summit Prime 540 & wondered if you have been happy with yours since you first posted? Many thanks. Tom

OP
OP
Jimjo
Jun 11, 2021
Pinner, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar 540
Exp
Since 2019
Hi Tom,

Yes we are delighted with the Globecar. As there’s only two of us we have found it ideal and have had no problems at all since buying it. The obvious advantages after the VW are the fixed bed. Toilet/shower, hot water and ability to stand up (with no pop top!) , and the fly screen. In particular we like the modern finish and the sky roof (no problems with this).
We have made a couple of changes ourselves - a Perspex guard by the bed to stop the the sink/tap splashing the bed, a new mattress care of Dunelm (made to measure with a carving knife lol!), and an access door to the garage under the bed rather than having to lift the access board. Very happy to chat with you if want anything else and can highly recommend the guys who did these little jobs for us.
Have had plenty of trips already including 10 days in the highlands in December and it was very cosy and comfortable. Heating is great and simple enough.
Hope this helps
Good luck Jimjo

TomSmith

Free Member
Jan 18, 2022
Funster No
MH
VW California
Hi Jimjo, thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Yes, the fixed bed, WC/Shower & standing up without raising the roof are the main reasons for us to change, & I'm sure we will appreciate it. Very pleased to hear all has gone well for you. I just need to locate one now. I will be visiting the Motorhome/Camping Show at NEC in Feb. In the meantime, I'll lookout for a decent used model. Is yours the Automatic? If so would you say it is worth the extra expense?

OP
OP
Jimjo
Jun 11, 2021
Pinner, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar 540
Exp
Since 2019
Hi
Yes it is auto 140ps. Having come from the VW dsg I’d say it’s definitely worth it. We got ours from Highbridge in Devon although I know new ones are hard to come by. Globecar appear to have a new franchise Venture Caravans in Northampton so May be worth a try if they are trying to build their business. Good luck 👍🏻👍🏻

PaulHenry

Free Member
Mar 20, 2024
Funster No
MH
just-looking
Hi three years later, hope you dont mind the contact, I am in the process of buying a Prime 540 and was hoping you could confirm or deny that the sky roof was ok?

Oct 5, 2021
Tropical Skelmorlie
Funster No
MH
Globecar 5.4 Shine
Exp
Since 2013
We upgraded from a Bilbos VW 6.1 auto to Summit Prime 540 auto, and, touch wood!, it's been excellent.

As stated, a barrier of some description between sink and bed is necessary. The toilet/bathroom is a tight squeeze, but that's to be expected on such a small van. Particularly like the built in slideable table, with its little pop up.

Fridge is a decent size.

It's definitely necessary to spend some time organising the under bed storage. We removed the board and bought stacking bins to make sure of using the full height. There's a lot of space there.

We don't have a window above the cab, just extra removable storage which is very useful.

Just returning from 3 months in Spain 😎

Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Camping , caravanning, campervaning for 10 years
Hi three years later, hope you dont mind the contact, I am in the process of buying a Prime 540 and was hoping you could confirm or deny that the sky roof was ok?
Is it a new one as we have just collected a new Prime 640 and sky roof is fine now

OP
OP
Jimjo
Jun 11, 2021
Pinner, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar 540
Exp
Since 2019
Hi - yes still have it and have had no problems with the sky roof. It did have a modification supplied by Possl albeit newer models are all modified. We love the van and have toured Norway last year and have today just come back from a ten day trip to Arran all with no problems. Hope this helps 👍👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back