Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi Everyone
I’ve got some problems with my current sat nav Tom Tom go 6100 which had life time traffic and free eu and uk map updates and speed cameras. Now although this sat nav has served me well technology has moved on somewhat also when I bought this one I didn’t have my 28 ft Motorhome.

Now I know there is dedicated sat nav’s out there for HGV and tuggers also from the caravan and camping club I was wondering if these are worth it.

I would still like to have all the facilities of the Tom Tom but wondered if any of these for Motorhome etc are worth paying the extra for as the HGV pro Sat Nav is more expensive.
I also realise that a lot of you will use I pads and smart phones instead of a dedicated Sat Nav.

Any information will be much appreciated.
Many Thanks Tony

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We bought a Garmin 770 ltm-d last year and IMHO it was well worth the money and it updates itself whilst using it so you don’t have to connect to computer if you don’t want to.(y)(y)(y)

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
it updates itself whilst using it so you don’t have to connect to computer
Hi Steve That’s a good Idea as mine failed when linking it to update it on the computer. Thanks (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Depends on how much you rely on your satnav. I use a perfectly serviceable TomTom Go Live 1005, a little out of date maybe (keep getting emails from TomTom to upgrade) but new maps are still available and it takes all of my POIs without problem. It doesn't make any allowances for being in a large vehicle but I'd rather use my common sense than rely on what may be inaccurate or out of date information, remembering that not all "hazards" may be in there. I have been confronted with a "problem" on occasion but it's usually due to my own stupidity rather than misdirection.

I did look at getting a new one, bearing in mind how far on modern technology has gone, but I couldn't see enough benefits to warrant the cost. For now I'll carry on with my trusty 1005.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
We bought a Garmin 770 ltm-d last year and IMHO it was well worth the money and it updates itself whilst using it so you don’t have to connect to computer if you don’t want to.(y)(y)(y)

Hi Steve That’s a good Idea as mine failed when linking it to update it on the computer. Thanks (y)

The new Tom Tom Go Camper will also update via WiFi.

Ian

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I bought a TT 6200 Professional in March: it allows entry of vehicle dimensions. There have been 2 major "Europe Truck" map releases plus a couple of official updates plus numerous "TT Community" updates.

I've told TT that its got my postcode wrong (which explains why lots of delivery drivers can't find me) but they've done nothing. (n)
I've told TT about 2 local width restrictions (which have existed for at least 20y) but they've done nothing (although they graciously show up on the community map as "accepted"). :mad:
I haven't told them about other errors: I'm waiting to see if their data supplier manages to get things correct at some point in the future.

We went to Spain in April: I was directed 5miles down a forest track, despite there being a superb dual carriageway alongside it, because TT thinks that is the "eco-friendly" route. :rolleyes:
I was directed through small villages with traffic lights, roundabouts etc when there was a perfectly good, smooth bypass because TT thinks that is the "eco-friendly" route. :(
Only "fastest" route seems to be suitable.

If I use it in "walking" mode, it insists that I follow one-way signs, so tells me to go 750 metres in order to move 20 metres. :cry:

We turned voice control off because we would be having a conversation and the screen would go blank with the lovely lady telling us that she didn't understand the instruction: on more than one occasion this was whilst navigating a complex junction. :eek:

I could go on.

Ultimately, it did its job and we traveled over 2000 miles safely BUT.....

Some folk have told me that Garmins are worse: whatever you choose, give it a damn good "armchair drive" before the "return and get your money back" period ends. :D:D:D

Gordon

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Xgody IGo does for us, £39.95. currently using it in France with no problems.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We bought a Becker Trucker satnav and were very pleased with it. Got a built in one now so only use it in the car but we felt it performed very accurately when we used it in our van.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I dont know a lot about sat navs but we got the garmin camper thingy after a couple of chinese satnavs.

Deeply impressed as it tells me there is a queue 19 kms ahead with a 17 minute waiting time so would i like to choose this alternative ? That one thing there butters my parsnips. All the other stuff like co ords and favourites and dimensions that you can stick in probably come with most sat navs. Expensive but it will last (hopefully)

Feb 18, 2010
Funster No
Do you not have problems seeing the screen when it’s bright outside with the Xgody ?

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Screen is a little faint but still readable, voice instructions are good and the database is fabulous, haven't yet had to add any POI's.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back