New Forest Warning especially for Dog Owners (1 Viewer)

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I live on Hale Purlieu and this article appeared in my inbox today and I thought you should know about it.

Forum Owner

Cow attack

Unfortunately, a couple have been injured and hospitalised following an attack by a cow on Hale Purlieu. The man had a broken arm and shoulder injury. Cllr Hartas spoke to Andrew Napthine, our Agister, yesterday. The couple could only identify a black cow and he couldn't find which one caused the injury so it hasn't been removed. They had dogs on leads and the cow charged twice. Andrew's advice is to let dogs go if that happens as they can get out of the way quicker than we can and it is usually the dog the cow is after. So please take care and be extra vigilant when walking on the Purlieu. Do pass this information to your friends and neighbours - hopefully there will not be a reoccurrence.

Neighbour 2

I recently had a similar experience on Hale Purlieu. There were two cows and a small calf right by the path. I put my dog on the lead to pass them, but the minute one of the cows came quite aggressively towards us, I let the dog go. He ran away, and I halted the cow by holding a walking stick towards her. I don't think she had much intention of attacking me, I assumed at the time it was to protect the calf. One of the cows, the one nearest the calf, was black, as was the calf, so I assumed she was the mother. But it was the other one, which was much more grey than black, who was the aggressor. This is the first time in many years walking in the forest this sort of thing has happened. My impression of the cows, especially on the Common, is that they are a very docile lot, even with the calves around.

Neighbour 3

I think it is just a reminder that we are lucky enough to live in such a beautiful place where cows and horses graze freely, but we have to take care. I have been aggressively approached by a cow, quite frightening, and have had to leg it away from horses when the stallions are about. I keep a good distance away from them, & chuck balls in the opposite direction for my dogs. I have to say though, it seems our Common has been overgrazed this year, especially during the dry weather, and have seen far more cows than in previous years.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I've been near and amongst cows all my life. The most important advice I can give (apart from releasing dogs if a cow or cows show an interest) is do not run from them. Walk away whilst keeping an eye on them. If they get too close turn, wave your arms, and shout. They will stop in their tracks. Walk away and repeat the exercise until you can leave the field. I believe that those who have been injured or worse have run and have either tripped, or been jostled, and fallen. If you end up on the ground their instinct is to trample. Cows are not aggressive - they are curious, defensive, fearful for their young, and easily frightened.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back