New Carthago owner (1 Viewer)

Nov 6, 2021
Horsham, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Hello, joined the site a few weeks ago and already had some great info. Just found this sub forum. Recently got a 2018 C-Tourer 150 QB. Completely new to motorhomes, although did spend what seemed to be half this year doing research, so hopefully I got the right motorhome. Surprised at the hugh learning curve involved after actually getting the vehicle, even after a 3 hour handover. Like with everthing we buy, new or old, they are alwas a few niggles:

1. Leisure battery went flat in a day - See below
  2. A fan seemed to continuously run - Thanks to this site ,tracked this down an Alde heating accessory, with a switch situated inconvenirntly next to passenger knee! And for some reason this is not controlled by the control unit, so will run when control unit is switched off and nicely drains the leisure battery. Putting this down to user error.
  3. Washer fluid thing attached to wiper broken and comes off wiper - contacted dealer for new part
  4. Hab door doesn't lock with central locking - Found out that this only works when control unit is on , so putting this down to another user error.
  5. And finally, but most worringly, when doing a 20 mile round trip to the weigh bridge last week, about 5 miles from home the clutch pedal went straight to the floor without engaging. Came back up and only did this the once. The only other journey we did was 200 (mainly motorway) miles when we picked the vehicle up. Done loads of internet searches on this and solutions have been from various clutch parts replaced (slave cylinder being the favourite) to it never happend again. Will report this to the dealer when they return after their xmas break.
Will probaby be just touring the UK this year to get the hang of things, so not that fussed if things go a little wrong as we do have consumer rights (not even been a month since we picked it up), warranty and vehicle recovery. Would be good to know the history of this vehicle, just so we can be prepared. It's a 2018 Carthago I C-Tourer 150 on a Fiat Ducato which was part ex'd with Premium Motorhomes in Doncaster around April this year (1 previous owner). Would be interested to hear if this was someone's previous vehicle on here.

[And I have recently discovered that Premium Motorhomes have had a bit of bad press on here, hey ho. maybe they're turned things around. I am a glass half full person.]

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Welcome to the Forum. We own a Carthago C line. bought from Premium motorhomes 6 years ago and from our prospective cannot fault the service we have had from them over 6 years. We live on the South coast so only have taken it back to them for specific issues outside warranty and was given tremendous service (both matters resolved by Carthago as good will) Probably the dealer input assisted in the decision who knows. Yes others may have their opinions.

As far as your van goes, until you get out and have a good shake down and find issues, you are not going to know the service you are to receive from a dealer. I know its not the best weather but book into a caravan site on hard standing Get out there and use every bit of equipment: heaters, hot water showers. Come off the EHU use the batteries, are the batteries holding a charge, everything, then get back to the dealer ASAP if there are problems. All being well hope you do not have issues.

As far as the clutch issue get that looked at by a garage for an independent view and if any issue found get it back to wherever you bought it from. If the dealer you bought it from does not do engine maintenance its probable they are not going to be able to resolve it and may have a garage who looks at this side of issues. Having an independent look at it would give you some back up.

On using the van side. Be aware of the rear garage door. These are big 'sails' do not open them and leave unattended. A good breeze will slam the door open against the hinge and can cause damage. I have tied a strap to the top of the door so that if the doors are caught by the wind will stop the doors opening fully thus preventing damage.

Make sure the vehicle insurance you have covers the full cost of the windscreen replacement. Some only cover an amount upto £1000 or so. Any additional amount above that amount would need to be a full claim on the policy not windscreen cover. These screens can be upward to £5000. I understand the C line screen is in that region.

Have fun

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Wow congrats on the new Carthago, I could have written a similar story, on collection of mine I knocked the switch for that fan on (alde engine warmer I think) I was driving me mad, then I looked in the book (note to self RTFM)
One of my washer thingys has been glued back on by the previous owner!
But thankfully I have auto and the clutch pedal problem isn’t there😉👍
Overall very happy with the Carthago, I think it was registered around the same time as PJGWiltshire from the same dealer👍

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
As you have found out whether it's a Carthago , Hymer , Swift ,etc. they are all made fro All Spare parts and Pieces , in other words they are assembled with bits from all sorts of manufactuere , the shell is probably Make / Model their own and some assemble the body and interior furniture themselves , which has a bearing on quality , I should say though having had so called Premium Motorhomes and lower so called Motorhomes none were faultless , in fact most are not value for money we sometimes think they are , we are going to buy a New Motorhome in the New Year!!

OP
OP
G
Nov 6, 2021
Horsham, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Welcome to the Forum. We own a Carthago C line. bought from Premium motorhomes 6 years ago and from our prospective cannot fault the service we have had from them over 6 years. We live on the South coast so only have taken it back to them for specific issues outside warranty and was given tremendous service (both matters resolved by Carthago as good will) Probably the dealer input assisted in the decision who knows. Yes others may have their opinions.

As far as your van goes, until you get out and have a good shake down and find issues, you are not going to know the service you are to receive from a dealer. I know its not the best weather but book into a caravan site on hard standing Get out there and use every bit of equipment: heaters, hot water showers. Come off the EHU use the batteries, are the batteries holding a charge, everything, then get back to the dealer ASAP if there are problems. All being well hope you do not have issues.

As far as the clutch issue get that looked at by a garage for an independent view and if any issue found get it back to wherever you bought it from. If the dealer you bought it from does not do engine maintenance its probable they are not going to be able to resolve it and may have a garage who looks at this side of issues. Having an independent look at it would give you some back up.

On using the van side. Be aware of the rear garage door. These are big 'sails' do not open them and leave unattended. A good breeze will slam the door open against the hinge and can cause damage. I have tied a strap to the top of the door so that if the doors are caught by the wind will stop the doors opening fully thus preventing damage.

Make sure the vehicle insurance you have covers the full cost of the windscreen replacement. Some only cover an amount upto £1000 or so. Any additional amount above that amount would need to be a full claim on the policy not windscreen cover. These screens can be upward to £5000. I understand the C line screen is in that region.

Have fun
Hi, and thanks for the info. We're just down the road from you in Horsham. We got the van from Premium so we've already done the 200 mile trip upto Doncaster a few times already, so hopefully won't have to do it too many more times.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The only worrying thing would be the clutch, the dealer is unlikely to do anything about it unless it completely fails.
It's a very expensive job as to change the slave cylinder the gearbox has to come off and takes even longer on an A Class.

I would put it in writing to the dealer and make sure you get an acknowledgement then you have some come back if it fails later.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
The only worrying thing would be the clutch, the dealer is unlikely to do anything about it unless it completely fails.
It's a very expensive job as to change the slave cylinder the gearbox has to come off and takes even longer on an A Class.

I would put it in writing to the dealer and make sure you get an acknowledgement then you have some come back if it fails later.
Absolutely no backup from Premium, but that may just be our experience☹️
Even Lowdhams were better than them at least they had our new Hymer more than we did 🤣

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Hi, and thanks for the info. We're just down the road from you in Horsham. We got the van from Premium so we've already done the 200 mile trip upto Doncaster a few times already, so hopefully won't have to do it too many more times.
If you are looking to have regular water ingress service on the van. I recommend Relience over in Chichester. They are an authorised Carthago agent and stamp your service water ingress warranty so you will not need to travel Book ahead as they are very busy.we book a year ahead. Any engine work Adam Morley in Portsmouth fiat agent are very well set up on working on a class vans with the access difficulties. Have fun

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I live about 15 minutes from premium motorhomes, my motorhome was supplied by them when new, although I didn't buy it from them I bought it at 2 years old from a different dealer , I drive the extra hour or so to Lincoln for service work as they didn't seem too interested in doing it. I think that says it all

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I live about 15 minutes from premium motorhomes, my motorhome was supplied by them when new, although I didn't buy it from them I bought it at 2 years old from a different dealer , I drive the extra hour or so to Lincoln for service work as they didn't seem too interested in doing it. I think that says it all
That’s interesting point of view, I live 90 seconds away from premium and I too have a used moho supplied by them, it has full history with all the black stamps and I might take mine to Lincoln too. Have enquired twice in the past up at premium about purchasing and both times heard diddly squat back from them, not once!🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ Admittedly I do look like I can’t afford one, but one shouldn’t judge a book by it’s cover😉😁

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
That’s interesting point of view, I live 90 seconds away from premium and I too have a used moho supplied by them, it has full history with all the black stamps and I might take mine to Lincoln too. Have enquired twice in the past up at premium about purchasing and both times heard diddly squat back from them, not once!🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ Admittedly I do look like I can’t afford one, but one shouldn’t judge a book by it’s cover😉😁

ditto Im not their typical customer either, I cant recommend camper UK enough from a service point of view, they have been very helpful to me, but you must book early.

90 seconds ? Bawtry, Harworth, or Strip Road?

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Begun travelling the road in our first van in 2013
Just saying hi from another fellow 150iQB owner - having read all of the above, yep, just get out there and give it the best shakedown you can, then your understanding of what works/won't work/delights or disappoints will soon be good enough to cope with the Carthago moho experiences that we all share!

Reactions: f6c
Feb 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago compactline
Exp
15 year
Welcome Carthago owner , yes a lot to learn , I try and solve problems myself and advice from this forum , it’s great fixing things yourself obviously better than dealers , but sometimes you have to bite the bull it and get gas and ingress checked , I am just trying to fit 2 e bikes on rack in garage and leave room for Honda grom , tight fit but just moving things around to better locations like storage under floor great space but awkward to get in and side locker which moves weight to front , happy travels everyone

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
G
Nov 6, 2021
Horsham, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Just saying hi from another fellow 150iQB owner - having read all of the above, yep, just get out there and give it the best shakedown you can, then your understanding of what works/won't work/delights or disappoints will soon be good enough to cope with the Carthago moho experiences that we all share!
thanks, would love to get started, but the dealer is taking our clutch issue seriously. He has told us not to use it and booked it in with Reliance in Chichester to investigate on the 24th.

So far the dealer is being very good.

Feb 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago compactline
Exp
15 year
It will be a return spring on pedal , or clutch cylinder !!!what mileage is on vehicle ?

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Begun travelling the road in our first van in 2013
Collapsing clutch pedal sounds very much like the slave cylinder let go, but then "came good" .... until the next time. Would be concerned that it would be about to go again whenever I took it out for a run :confused: Good to hear the dealership is taking it under their wing for you.

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
That is so true, the difference my hubby was treated when looking at cars if he went straight from work or casual weekend dressed

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
thanks, would love to get started, but the dealer is taking our clutch issue seriously. He has told us not to use it and booked it in with Reliance in Chichester to investigate on the 24th.

So far the dealer is being very good.
Reliance are very good but I didn't think they do engine work, just the hab side.

OP
OP
G
Nov 6, 2021
Horsham, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
I found Adams Morley useless.
We went to them first as they are who southdown send all their engine work to. Our dealer spoke to them and said they wouldn't deal with our warrety company so our dealer arranged for us to go with Reliance.

OP
OP
G
Nov 6, 2021
Horsham, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Collapsing clutch pedal sounds very much like the slave cylinder let go, but then "came good" .... until the next time. Would be concerned that it would be about to go again whenever I took it out for a run :confused: Good to hear the dealership is taking it under their wing for you.
Dealer said master cylinder, mechanic said slave cylinder.

I think dealer was being optimistic as the master cylinder appears to be alot easier to fix.

Apparently, slave cylinder is a 13 hour job 😳

OP
OP
G
Nov 6, 2021
Horsham, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Dropped MH off at mechanics (Reliance) yesterday. After a brief initial investigation he was certain it was Slave cylinder. The mater cylinder was full with no evidence of leaking but he said he did see evidence of a leak around the bell housing. So the slave cyclinder will be replaced.

We did have a bit of good fortune. The journey was 60 minutes and after 40 minutes everthing was fine with no clutch issues. Then it happened twice in the last 20 minutes and the pedal returned after a prod, but, then just before we turned into the industrial park where Reliance are the pedal dropped and didn't return. The wife managed to get it into neutral and we were able to coast down the very long driveway and straight into a Reliance parking space :).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back