New Aires in Portugal (1 Viewer)

Oct 31, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Carthago T149
Exp
Since 2016
I wonder with the new parking/overnighting restrictions in Portugal if some towns and villages will find a place for an aire, they could loose a fair bit of business. Cascais hasnt to my knowledge any where to overnight now so an aire would suit there very well, and be quite busy me thinks.

Roger

OP
OP
Roger S
Oct 31, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Carthago T149
Exp
Since 2016
Im very pleased to hear there are some new aires being made, do you know where ? I have an aire book for Portugal but books can quickly go out of date do you think they will show up on apps like camper contact etc ?

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
One council has already approached the government to cut the bureaucracy in planning and building aires😀
True, I can see this happening too here in Spain, there are many newish camperstops springing up, either private or public, the demand might even be increased due to the new regulations imposed down your way and also here...

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Let’s hope so because before COVID you could never get onto a aire on the Algarve in the winter

I would also like more basic aires to open just a dump and water

Most of the aires have turned into campsites with kitchen tents etc they look like shanty towns

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Let’s hope so because before COVID you could never get onto a aire on the Algarve in the winter

Most of the aires have turned into campsites with kitchen tents etc they look like shanty towns
Couldnt agree more -keep it simple. All we require is a bit of space in a convenient/nice location, If people want/need more they should be on a campsite IMO.

NZ has got this one right, loads of spaces just like that and they have public dump stations along the road or paid one in filling stations, it also stops people settling down for long periods.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994

Seen that too, motorhomers don't understand the difference between campsites and Camperstops, have experienced this first hand when involved in the building and running of one....also poor management is a key factor....knowing the rules too...the whole system needs a makeover...new laws, new restrictions, less motorhomes more publicity in how we should conduct ourselves while visiting other countries...

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Seen that too, motorhomers don't understand the difference between campsites and Camperstops, have experienced this first hand when involved in the building and running of one....also poor management is a key factor....knowing the rules too...the whole system needs a makeover...new laws, new restrictions, less motorhomes more publicity in how we should conduct ourselves while visiting other countries...
You are correct, there are too many motorhomes now, even 10 years there were less people but then those who were doing it were foolish enough to tell friends and family ( we all did it) and put photos on facebook of the wonderful places we were staying and it was costing next to nothing etc etc - but they missed out the etiquette bit

Sorry guys - I'm going to bang on about NZ again, they have the NZMCA ( Motor caravanners Association) unlike our Caravan Club they are a n association to do things to enable its members to enjoy Motorhoming, If you are a member you have a number badge you fit on your Mh and if somebody reports you they take action. They also have a Self-contained vehicle approval scheme and only approved vehicles are allowed to stay in the parks etc. It all makes people consider their actions.

Deleted User
Still ok to park at the Barragems?
As far as I am aware the Barragems are no different to anywhere else, if not authorised then not allowed.

Parking at many of the Barragems was never officially allowed, I have no idea how to find out where is authorised.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
You are correct, there are too many motorhomes now, even 10 years there were less people but then those who were doing it were foolish enough to tell friends and family ( we all did it) and put photos on facebook of the wonderful places we were staying and it was costing next to nothing etc etc - but they missed out the etiquette bit

Sorry guys - I'm going to bang on about NZ again, they have the NZMCA ( Motor caravanners Association) unlike our Caravan Club they are a n association to do things to enable its members to enjoy Motorhoming, If you are a member you have a number badge you fit on your Mh and if somebody reports you they take action. They also have a Self-contained vehicle approval scheme and only approved vehicles are allowed to stay in the parks etc. It all makes people consider their actions.
Plus their population is very very small,,BUSBY..

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Plus their population is very very small,,BUSBY..
It is but an incredible amount of motorhomes in the season. and a big problem with gap year types in people carriers with the seats down, some of these getting some big fines ($200??) off the park wardens

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
One half (the attractive one) of a VIP Funster couple (who live a lot of the time in Spain) told me of another category of stop over place rather than just legal or illegal...

This catergory is...

"a tolerated" location.

It might not be an official site/aire/campsite but staying there is tolerated.

Pego Altar comes to mind.

JJ :cool:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Still ok to park at the Barragems?
The way the law looks at the moment, unless it is signed as a motorhome parking area you would be breaking the law!!! This is a real disaster as they host so many Van's and they are out of everyone's way------ we are hoping that like Odimera(?) Enough pressure is put on government to fast track authorisation of new basic Aires'------- but they will probably all have to have at least water and dump facilities as the unauthorised waste dumping is supposed to be the main reason for this new law.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Lynne found this site it’s a list of the legal aires /sites on the Algarve

2nd link to main page

This seems very up to date, it includes the new one just outside Armacao de Pera which only opened last summer👍

Deleted User
Strange that the signposted municipal aire with water and dump point at Castro Marim is not listed!

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Strange that the signposted municipal aire with water and dump point at Castro Marim is not listed!
No idea but if you read there main page ii states they only list the aires that have a licence and you can overnight there

Deleted User
No idea but if you read there main page ii states they only list the aires that have a licence and you can overnight there

The one at Castro Marim has been open for a number of years, it is signposted with a sign for motorhomes and a no waiting sign for anything else.

Don't know how to do screenshots, hope the links work.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
The one at Castro Marim has been open for a number of years, it is signposted with a sign for motorhomes and a no waiting sign for anything else.

Don't know how to do screenshots, hope the links work I know the one you mean I’ve stayed on it
As I said above I have no idea how it works

I’ve also heard mikki’s place does not have a licence no idea if it’s true

Deleted User
As I said above I have no idea how it works

Nor me!!

I would be a little upset at being fined for staying on that one as all the indications are that it is authorised.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Nor me!!

I would be a little upset at being fined for staying on that one as all the indications are that it is authorised.
I would feel the same I’m sure we will get a list at some point

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I would feel the same I’m sure we will get a list at some point
Would find it highly unlikely if an individual was fined for staying on an unlicensed Camperstop...however the owner of such a place might be....has been...and continue to be fined, cautioned or shut down due to operating without the correct paperwork...
When arriving at a Camperstop would you ask of the legality of such place....surely not....you expect it to be fully legal....but not all have full paperwork...and are willing to chance their luck until the certification is finalised.... obtaining full legality can take years to complete....learnt through experience...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back