Never owned a caravan or a motorhome , is there an idiots guide (1 Viewer)

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
I've got a Lunar homecar P59 on a ducato chassis 2007 , had it a week

First purchase was a carbon monoxide alarm ,only I'm a bit out of my depth with getting the water/shower/heating right

There's a water fill point on the side, spec sheet on the web says 100L clean 85L dirty capacity , previous owner bought it from a dealer but never used it , never slept in it just did three 50 mile day trips in it before his wife took ill and died so it's never been run from buying it from the dealer june 2019

He did have a problem with the starting battery going completely flat even though it was permanently plugged into the mains, it was that flat it needed replacing as it wouldn't hold any charge at all

The control panel shows this picture which i believe means the boiler has some water in it
20200918_182526.jpg

When i press the rocker switch the other way the other battery which im assuming is the starter barrery isn't at 100% despite being charged all day

So do i just fill it from the outside and open the taps to bleed it or flush it through by opening the grey waste valve underneath

The truma manual mentions something about an electric safety drain valve but ive no idea where that is
20200918_184942.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
H Welcome,

i guess first is to get hold of the manuals for the on board kit then sort oiut that the Cab battery is charged when plugged in. not difficult.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W
Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
There's manuals for all the appliances but not a specific one for the home car explaining where everything is , so far i havent found the leisure battery

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
The safety drain on a truma is protection for the boiler in the event of frost. It is normally located near the boiler and has a manual lever which will drain in the vertical position and close if you move it to horizontal (along the length of the pipes). If the boiler has water in it (usually 10 litres) then you will see it running out from under the MH.
i would put some sanitiser in the fresh tank (I use Puriclean) and pull it through the boiler and pipes by opening all taps. Leave for couple of hours (Perhaps drive around to clean out the inside of the tank) and then drain (including using the boiler drain) and flush through with fresh. I do this once a year.
Leave the water you have put through the system in the grey waste tank for a while so that gets a clean out too - they can get very smelly as there are often not any u-bends in the waste system

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
A good idea too to get some silicone seal spray and use liberally around the toilet flap and the seals there. If they stick or sieze up they can break when you try and use them. Unfortunately Motorhomes are made of plastic, paper and glue (well they use lightweight materials) and need lots of TLC especially if been sitting around for a while unused.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Wack... See you are in Cheshire.

Try not to panic there is soooooo much to learn with a new van you will feel your head is exploding.

It is years down the line for me and I'm still learning. If ever you can get to one of the NOT A RALLY BUT A SOCIAL DISTANCING GATHERING near you there is a lot of help coming your way.

Don't be afraid to ask BASIC questions first.. You arn't expected to know anything at all at first. Good luck.

Upvote 0

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
OK, you have a bit of a learning curve. NOT the end of the world.

Normally would think if any funsters local who could spend an hour or two in exchange for a cuppa.. ALAS given current situation forget the cuppa, but would hope someone close could offer a bit of help.

If not, whilst not familiar with your setup would anyone be happy to think about Skype or facetime to help out

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Being plugged in won't charge the starting battery mate.

Some chargers do both starter and habitation batteries, e.g. our Electroblok does. Maybe not on that particular motorhome.

Geoff

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W
Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
When i was 16 in 1977 I got a Yamaha FS1e , never ridden anything powered before , my instruction was 5 minutes outside the shop
This is the clutch , these are the brakes, that's the gears , good luck

Stall ,stall ,stall ,whoaaa we're off :D , this is great , wobbling off up the road with my dad as traffic blocker in his volvo

I feel the same now as i did then, no idea what i'm doing but i'm sure i'll get there in the end.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The safety drain on a truma is protection for the boiler in the event of frost. It is normally located near the boiler and has a manual lever which will drain in the vertical position and close if you move it to horizontal (along the length of the pipes)
I think it's not the lever type, see OP picture #2. Pull the button up until it clicks and locks (geschlossen). It is then closed, and the water heater can fill with water. If it won't click closed, there's two reasons. If the temperature is below about 6 degrees C it will open automatically, and will not stay closed until it's above 6 degrees C. It needs power from the leisure battery to stay closed, if the battery is isolated the valve will open and won't stay closed.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I think it's not the lever type, see OP picture #2. Pull the button up until it clicks and locks (geschlossen). It is then closed, and the water heater can fill with water. If it won't click closed, there's two reasons. If the temperature is below about 6 degrees C it will open automatically, and will not stay closed until it's above 6 degrees C. It needs power from the leisure battery to stay closed, if the battery is isolated the valve will open and won't stay closed.
Good spot, thanks for explaining.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2019
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer camp c546
Exp
Since 2019
When i was 16 in 1977 I got a Yamaha FS1e , never ridden anything powered before , my instruction was 5 minutes outside the shop
This is the clutch , these are the brakes, that's the gears , good luck

Stall ,stall ,stall ,whoaaa we're off :D , this is great , wobbling off up the road with my dad as traffic blocker in his volvo

I feel the same now as i did then, no idea what i'm doing but i'm sure i'll get there in the end.
my hubby exact words were " what the bell have I done". I actually found this great site :clap: after we purchased our 2003 hymer, thankfully all going well, in our 2nd year, lots of research, watching videos learning off here, yes still making silly mistakes, but less horrific, more relaxed and always looking forward to our next trip, you found this site(y), lots of great support on here, good luck and enjoy...oh and welcome 😄

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W
Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie

It probably would've helped if I'd take a picture of the english page :D

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
RandallC. post is a brilliant idea. There is so much to learn..

If you are saving up for anything, my advice would be solar panel. It will charge your internal leisure battery when you are NOT on hook up and if you attach a battery master to it, your engine battery will be topped up with any excess cjarge.

Re the pull up button that discharges water when temp drops, you can put a clothes peg on the button to stop it dropping so you don't lose water if you are in your van over winter, and you won't lose your water.
Someone may advise if this is ok and won't cause burst ipe.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
You arn't expected to know anything

Can I use that as my get out clause please?

Re the pull up button that discharges water when temp drops, you can put a clothes peg on the button to stop it dropping so you don't lose water if you are in your van over winter, and you won't lose your water.
Someone may advise if this is ok and won't cause burst ipe.

Just remember to take the peg off when you are "done". I have put a fan heater near the boiler (in the garage on our van) to warm things up enough for the safety valve to stay in the shut position until I get everything filled and the boiler / heating on.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W
Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
I’ve filled the tank ,sterilised it and run the water through to flush it out then left it full , i noticed it does drip from the overflow underneath for an awfully long time so I’m hoping that’s not a problem

I'm going to heat the water and run some off to check it out today to see if that stops the dripping.

we’re in Warrington which is in lockdown but it’s all so vague I’m not sure what that means with regards to going anywhere in the van.

i was thinking of going to wales next weekend , we could remove anything that says we’re from Warrington but there might be some tricky questions at the border
BD4C3C9C-B06F-4E4F-860E-9C038D4D84F6.jpeg

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
If the dripping is definitely from the overflow it's doing its job, you stuck to much in.
A little water can make a big mess.
So no worries.☺
If it's from somewhere else, find it and fix it.😨
Have you been away in it yet, may be an idea to stay relatively local for first time, reduces pressure on making sure everything is packed, works, how to connect up, level out. Relax.
Some nice sites around Delemere forest, Wirral etc.

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Not wanting to spoil the party, but if you're on lockdown you shouldn't be going anywhere 'non urgent'. Having a moho doesnt give you a get out of jail free card !

I would spend a weekend on your own drive if possible. Treat it as though you're away, so load everything in and try not to go back into the house for anything. That way you will work out everything but still have the emergency back up of being at home.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
It probably would've helped if I'd take a picture of the english page :D

If there is no English version with the MH, how about a crash course in Flemish? :giggle:

[Or, search equipment manufacturers' websites for manuals in English to download as PDFs but where's the fun in that!]

Upvote 0
Sep 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Retals
Exp
Auto-trail Tribute F62
#23. I agree with your comments. I live in Wales, bought a van 4 weeks ago and now feel really frustrated that Mark Drakeford has told us " Essential journeys only" We've be out in it for two weekends but I think my neighbours would find it a bit odd if I slept in it overnight on the drive. They'd think my wife had kicked me out of the house :)

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
#23. I agree with your comments. I live in Wales, bought a van 4 weeks ago and now feel really frustrated that Mark Drakeford has told us " Essential journeys only" We've be out in it for two weekends but I think my neighbours would find it a bit odd if I slept in it overnight on the drive. They'd think my wife had kicked me out of the house :)
You both or all need to sleep out in it!! You will be surprised at how much you would learn and doing it at home is belt and braces. PS make it into a date night....

Upvote 0
Sep 2, 2020
Ladybarn, Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
We are in the middle of a global pandemic, covid-19 can be fatal, I think its reasonable to expect some restrictions as the government tries to get things under some control.

If the did nothing and the death toll was in 100s of thousands I suspect they would be roundly condemned.

It strikes me what ever the government do there will always be someone on the TV saying they have it all wrong.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
W
Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
Not wanting to spoil the party, but if you're on lockdown you shouldn't be going anywhere 'non urgent'. Having a moho doesnt give you a get out of jail free card !

I would spend a weekend on your own drive if possible. Treat it as though you're away, so load everything in and try not to go back into the house for anything. That way you will work out everything but still have the emergency back up of being at home.

The pub/restaurants /cinema/market/shops in town are all open, nothing is closed, we're just told not to have anyone in our house or garden, nobody has said I can't go anywhere nor can I find any information about not going on holiday.

It's as clear as mud

Upvote 0
Sep 2, 2020
Ladybarn, Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
I think its a delicate balancing act of restricting movement/freedom while trying to keep the economy moving as much as possible, the national debt is now 'squillions' and will take decades to pay back and its only going to get (much) bigger.
We could always do what they did in China and beat suspected cases with a stick, push them in a van to quarantine them somewhere, it was on the news every day earlier in the year.
Of course many suspect China is responsible for all this but if its ever proved I suspect they will nat be making any compensation payments.
And the WASPI women lost in court again..............

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back