Needing some advice from A class experts! (1 Viewer)

DebbieR

Free Member
Apr 11, 2017
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
We're in the midst of trying to find our first motorhome and got to say we're having trouble finding the one with the layout we want. We've been looking for an a class type (preferably Hymer) although would consider others, small compact size nothing over 6.60 meters and right hand drive. We would like end bunk beds for children and an L shaped dinette/lounge area budget up to £40,000 and can't seem to find anything!! Please can anyone help with models/makes to look out for. Thank you x

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Hi ,i see that you are in Lincoln ,why dont you guys visit the forthcoming motorhome show in Peterborough ,there will be hundreds of motorhomes on view ,some new some used ,you may be able to find your dream moho there

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

DebbieR

Free Member
Apr 11, 2017
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
That's a good idea, thank you

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
This seems quite a precise list for a first mh, can I ask how you arrived there? have you rented previously and sorted out your requirements?

N&B did a 64 with a not dissimilar layout but they are very rare. Is the 6.6m requirement fixed because every half metre makes a big difference?

Link Removed

The rhd requirement will limit your choice in A classes because fewer have been sold here, although I suspect the balance is slowly altering.

Many of us use Lhd versions because they are better in Europe and the layouts do tend to work a bit better in the original format. You will find a much larger choice of A classes on the german sites Link Removed and truckscout but they will all be lhd.

hth
Jon

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The layout you want is pretty rare and you are really limiting yourself with RHD. With your budget many more about in A Class about in LHD.
We have a LHD wouldn't have anything else.

Upvote 0
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Agree with all of the above. I can't think of any other vans that meet you're exact requirements.
If you are convinced that this spec is for you, it's simply a matter of waiting and acting quickly when one comes up for sale.
We bought ours three days after it was advertised, having arranged a viewing within 24hrs of listing...
To give you an idea of scarcity, in 2005 Hymer manufactured sixty B524 in total (figure from Hymer press release)

Looking on eBay, does this B524sl meet requirements?
Mileage and price don't look unreasonable

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

DebbieR

Free Member
Apr 11, 2017
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
We've had a caravan before, so we know what will work for us as a family regarding layout, also my daughter has had some surgery on her hip so really needs a decent mattress to sleep on, which I think you only get from fixed bed plus she's coming up 10 years old, so know she will want to take a friend sometimes, hence the bunks. We are not planning trips to Europe, will mainly be exploring over here and I'm more comfortable with rhd and we don't want problems with parking etc so want something quite short, so yes we know what we want, which in one way is good just unlucky I think that they're so blinking rare!! Just don't know where to look have been trawling the internet and come up with nothing so far!!

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Seeing you are a youngster, do you have C1 category on your licenses as you are unlikely to find a well specced A class under 3500kg.

Upvote 0

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Have you thought about a panel van instead ? I seem to remember one of the globecar range had rear bunks (of some sort) a while ago.

Upvote 0

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
If you can find one, the Burstner Viseo i676 may meet the brief regarding the bunk beds, but comes in slightly longer than desired at 6.78m. Rated at 3500kg, but you will need to be cognizant about required payload. See the following details for more info...

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/buyers-guide/motorhomes/details/i-676/5536

http://www.southdownsmotorcaravans.co.uk/galleries/2011burstner/viseo-i-676/pixindex.html

http://www.southdownsmotorcaravans.co.uk/2011-burstner-motorhomes/sdmc-2011-burstner-brochure.pdf

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

DebbieR

Free Member
Apr 11, 2017
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Yes Lenny, unfortunately took my test latter part of 1997! Thank you Rowley, that Burstner would be ideal, least that gives us another model to look out for x

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
if you look at caravanfinder.co.uk click on motirhones advanced search. you can select bunk beds. it comes up with mainly coach built but worth keeping an eye on that site.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Yes Lenny, unfortunately took my test latter part of 1997! Thank you Rowley, that Burstner would be ideal, least that gives us another model to look out for x
Being realistic you will struggle in your budget to find a van that can be run at 3500kg, don't believe what dealers tell you most of them don't have a clue. You need to add to the basic MIRO (mass in running order) all the extras that have been fitted to see how much payload you have left, just an awning weights 35-45kg (10kg/m approx) spare wheel 25-30kg, 2nd battery 28kg etc. 500kg may sound a lot but it is only just enough for 2 if you travel light.
If you could increase your budget a bit there are newer A Class's that are lighter, Hymer Exsis, Carthago Compact Line & C Tourer.
The other option is to tow a trailer but kinder defeats the object of a Motorhome.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The Burstner Viseco that Darren gave you a link to looks runnable at 3500 it is one of the newer lightweight ones. I just downloaded the price list & specs, they don't list the i676 anymore but similar size vans have a payload of around 500kg, a bit tight but do'able.

Upvote 0

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
There's a rapido 9048df on motorhome trader at 40k. 12 plate I think.
Not bunk beds but the lounge seating will make two large singles, plus you have the large drop down bed too.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

DebbieR

Free Member
Apr 11, 2017
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks Funster, yes I spotted this but it's located in Spain. They provisionally want to sell it then bring to the U.K and it's the Son selling on parents behalf who are living in Spain, so that's put me off really and maybe going to have to compromise somewhere with layout if we want a motorhome before summer arrives!

Upvote 0

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Thanks Funster, yes I spotted this but it's located in Spain. They provisionally want to sell it then bring to the U.K and it's the Son selling on parents behalf who are living in Spain, so that's put me off really and maybe going to have to compromise somewhere with layout if we want a motorhome before summer arrives!

So it's either a scam or a bargain :)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back