NC500 wild camping and sites (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
We’re aiming to spend a week doing the NC500 from Inverness west to east in the last week of August. Can anyone advise us on good camping or overnight spots?
Will it be necessary to book - bearing in mind it’s school holidays? Any tips greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Jul 26, 2019
Fife, UK
Funster No
MH
McLoius Fusion
Exp
Since 2019
C & MC site at Kinlochewe. There is also a garage for fuel. Scottish school term starts before end of August so shouldn’t be as busy

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
General consensus is it will be mega busy up there from about now. I would guess booking a site in advance would be advisable if you can get one.
Sorry cannot help re actual sites.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Personally, I think you need much more than a week to do justice to the route but hope you enjoy it. As said, Scottish schools start back in early August however a significant proportion of those doing the route are "non-residents" with their holidays being in August.
If you are looking at using sites I would tend to pre-book particularly at that time.

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
A week is a really short time to do it. I haven't done the route but have been to a few sites. Sango Sands is a must at Durness. If you can't get booked I wouldn't worry, turn up at 1100hrs and you stand a good chance of getting in. There are loads of places off site. Try Park4night app

Aug 12, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Accordo 120
Exp
Sept 2019
Jac there are a number of motorhome owners that have channels on You tube and quite a few have done the route. It would be worth your while to have a look at some of those for info. meantime:
<Broken link removed>

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks
We’re not going to stress doing it all in a week - no point. If we find somewhere beautiful where we want to linger we will.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Jac there are a number of motorhome owners that have channels on You tube and quite a few have done the route. It would be worth your while to have a look at some of those for info. meantime:
<Broken link removed>
Thanks good idea

Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Still Just Looking :-(
Exp
We cycled clockwise round NC500 last September and it was very busy but that was in a period when Lockdown had just eased.
Most campsites were full. One place we stopped at for lunch which had a campsite and looked great was https://thehalladaleinn.co.uk/ the folks who owned it were really nice and the food was great.
Unless you are desperate to go to John O\Groats I'd recommend to take the road from Melvich to Helsmdale via Forsinard Station across the flow country. Vast open expanses. Also don't take the MH over Bealach Na Ba as it's very narrow and steep.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
We cycled clockwise round NC500 last September and it was very busy but that was in a period when Lockdown had just eased.
Most campsites were full. One place we stopped at for lunch which had a campsite and looked great was https://thehalladaleinn.co.uk/ the folks who owned it were really nice and the food was great.
Unless you are desperate to go to John O\Groats I'd recommend to take the road from Melvich to Helsmdale via Forsinard Station across the flow country. Vast open expanses. Also don't take the MH over Bealach Na Ba as it's very narrow and steep.
Thanks
Great tips.

Tony V

Free Member
Jun 5, 2020
Llyn Peninsula, N Wales
Funster No
MH
A/S Amethyst
Exp
newish
Unless you are desperate to go to John O\Groats I'd recommend to take the road from Melvich to Helsmdale via Forsinard Station across the flow country.
I'd second that, but............... unless you are happy on single track roads it might be a bit daunting, also it's a long way so make sure your fuel tank is well full- you'll be in third gear for a lot of it. Keep a wary eye out for Timber lorries. THEY DO NOT LIKE TO STOP!- or pull in for that matter. If you see one either coming towards you or have one behind you, dive in to a passing place asap and wait. Other than that it's a lovely drive with a chance to see some interesting wildlife.

Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Still Just Looking :-(
Exp
I'd second that, but............... unless you are happy on single track roads it might be a bit daunting, also it's a long way so make sure your fuel tank is well full- you'll be in third gear for a lot of it. Keep a wary eye out for Timber lorries. THEY DO NOT LIKE TO STOP!- or pull in for that matter. If you see one either coming towards you or have one behind you, dive in to a passing place asap and wait. Other than that it's a lovely drive with a chance to see some interesting wildlife.
Given we were on bikes with a Transit van as support, traffic wasn't a problem for us, can't say we saw any timber trucks but I guess that's dependant on what the foresters are doing at the time.

Sep 10, 2017
Wybunbury, Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Apache 634 Hi Line
Exp
Since 2019
We did it over 4 weeks last October/November anti clockwise East to West, colours were amazing and weather was good until Storm Aiden hit us on the day before we came home. We have said we could go another two or three times and still go to different places. Enjoy it and take your time we spoke to 3 vans at Helmsdale Harbour when we arrived at 15:00hrs and they were having a bite to eat and then heading off and reckoned they could get to their next stop at 21:00. They had travelled from London doing the 500 then returning home in 7 days :oops: The single track roads are fine you have a nice long view and loads of passing places we would pull in and let cars past and always got a thank you. We saw a convoy of three MHs cause a bit of mayhem in the distance as 3 MHs wont go into a passing place at the same time.:unsure: Hang back a few hundred meters and enjoy.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
We were up in Torridon week before last (2nd week of Scottish holidays) and it was quite quiet. We’re back up this week and it is noticeably more busy but still looks like some spaces on sites. Cafes open here according to English school holidays, not Scottish - that is a clue.
As for sites - Shieldaig has a fabulous site with beautiful views. Well worth booking. Sands at Gairloch has a good reputation and has a restaurant popular with locals.
a lot of overnighting spots on crofting land which were badly misused/overused last year have had big boulders dragged in to prevent access. That’s not to say you won’t find any …

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Some motorhomes may struggle on the Bealach na Ba pass after all :rolleyes:
Apparently they had a toad on the back

1628608213494.png

Dec 7, 2017
Sherwood Forest, Notts
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017. Before had caravan, folding camper and various tents.
On Scottish Tourer Motorhome hire site:-

NC500 , We wish all customers have an enjoyable holiday experience with us but due our customers feed back . WE ARE NOW ADVISING CUSTOMERS TO AVOID NC500 ROUTE, Unfortunately it is a victim of its own success with the roads crammed with tourists but especially the huge influx of motorhomes and the narrow roads and delicate infrastructure simply is unable to cope , to the point where SOME LOCALS ARE NOW AGGRESIVE TOWARDS MOTORHOMES, in recent weeks we have had tyres slashed, wheel trims stolen, motorhomes being egged and also cartons of yogurt thrown at our motorhomes along this route, We have designed motorhome friendly routes which are far more scenic where you can holiday in peace and quite, please ask us for details.

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
Just completed the NC500, travelling in company with another couple in our 2 MoHo’s. We did not rush and had a 3-week trip. There were more hire MoHo’s than I have ever seen before. The roads were busy but not excessively so. On the most northerly single-track roads there were inevitably some delays at passing places and during this busy season it would be sensible to plan for an average speed around 25 mph on these sections.

We found it possible to “wild” camp, without charge, most nights but many suitable places now prohibit overnight parking…… I suspect because local communities feel the parking arrangements have been abused. Without going onto paid for Campsites or CL’s every 3rd or 4th night, we would have been without fresh water and in difficulty with emptying our toilet cassettes. (We carry a second cassette to extend our time away from dumpage locations.) In recent years we have become accustomed to readily available service facilities at Aires and elsewhere in France and Spain. This infrastructure is very much in short supply in the UK, as many have already commented. Not being sure of how far we might travel each day made pre-booking of Campsites/CL’s not possible further in advance of the following day. We were mostly successful in getting pitches for the night.

We found the App “Searchforsites” most useful, “Park4Night” less so and “CamperContact” of no use on this route.

Most schools in Scotland will have returned by mid-August and the traffic is likely to be somewhat lighter than our experience by the time you go Jac Sprat. I am sure you will enjoy your trip.

On Scottish Tourer Motorhome hire site:-

NC500 , We wish all customers have an enjoyable holiday experience with us but due our customers feed back . WE ARE NOW ADVISING CUSTOMERS TO AVOID NC500 ROUTE, Unfortunately it is a victim of its own success with the roads crammed with tourists but especially the huge influx of motorhomes and the narrow roads and delicate infrastructure simply is unable to cope , to the point where SOME LOCALS ARE NOW AGGRESIVE TOWARDS MOTORHOMES, in recent weeks we have had tyres slashed, wheel trims stolen, motorhomes being egged and also cartons of yogurt thrown at our motorhomes along this route, We have designed motorhome friendly routes which are far more scenic where you can holiday in peace and quite, please ask us for details.
We experienced no aggressive behaviour, nor any of the issues mentioned in the quotation you mentioned Pappy. I would be interested to learn which Hire Site is making this statement and how recently this was published, please.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Most schools in Scotland will have returned by mid-August and the traffic is likely to be somewhat lighter than our experience by the time you go Jac Sprat. I am sure you will enjoy your trip.

We experienced no aggressive behaviour, nor any of the issues mentioned in the quotation you mentioned Pappy. I would be interested to learn which Hire Site is making this statement and how recently this was published, please.
Scottish schools may be going back soon but English ones won’t be for another month and there are a lot more of them! Expect it be busy at least until the beginning of September.

Tina the Tourer

Free Member
Aug 13, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson 510 Welcome
Exp
Solo since 2015
We’re aiming to spend a week doing the NC500 from Inverness west to east in the last week of August. Can anyone advise us on good camping or overnight spots?
Will it be necessary to book - bearing in mind it’s school holidays? Any tips greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.
There is also a NC500 Motorhome FB groups which is useful…

Jul 19, 2018
South Angus, South of the Sidlaws.
Funster No
MH
AutocruiseSelect184
Exp
Since 2011
Clachtoll, just north of Lochinver is a great site. Great wee beach, and the "split rock" from which it gets it's name.
Lochinver has a public CDP outside the leisure centre. I think you need to pay/get keys at leisure centre.
Also, the famous Lochinver pies from Lochinver Larder!
You might find a few places along Loch Assynt for overnighting, though the midges could be fierce!

Further south: Big Sands campsite at Gairloch is pretty good. Behind the dunes and straight on to the beach.

On North East Coast there's a club campsite at Dunnet Bay (East of Thurso), on East Coast, one near Golspie. All near beaches.

But, as others have said, booking is probably essential, especially this year as there seems to be more than double the number of MHs / CVs over previous years.

Be prepared for single track driving (get familiar with the rules) and be prepared for a slow journey on some single track sections.

Also, make sure your window screens are midge proof and get midge coils 😉

Apr 12, 2017
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 140
Exp
Also don't take the MH over Bealach Na Ba as it's very narrow and steep.
That’s part of the ‘fun’! Biggest hazard going up and over the pass are MAMILS, middle aged men in Lycra going hell for leather up it, stopping for no one and difficult to pass. We did have a magical moment when leaving Applecross the following morning - early to avoid traffic in both directions - as it entailed a slow crawl through a large herd of deer who’d come down off the mountain. Some spectacular stags and a large number of hinds. They simply stood and watched us as we crawled along the road through them 😀One if the highlights of our NC500 experience in 2017. There is a flatter route in if you don’t fancy the experience of the pass.

Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Did it two years ago and it was busy then so God only knows what it's like now. Book for sure and to do it in a week and enjoy it (if it's still possible) is almost impossible. Take your time or don't bother.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Did it two weeks ago, we didn’t book anywhere, traffic was fine and it wasn’t too busy.

It was amazing!!

Dec 7, 2017
Sherwood Forest, Notts
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017. Before had caravan, folding camper and various tents.
Just completed the NC500, travelling in company with another couple in our 2 MoHo’s. We did not rush and had a 3-week trip. There were more hire MoHo’s than I have ever seen before. The roads were busy but not excessively so. On the most northerly single-track roads there were inevitably some delays at passing places and during this busy season it would be sensible to plan for an average speed around 25 mph on these sections.

We found it possible to “wild” camp, without charge, most nights but many suitable places now prohibit overnight parking…… I suspect because local communities feel the parking arrangements have been abused. Without going onto paid for Campsites or CL’s every 3rd or 4th night, we would have been without fresh water and in difficulty with emptying our toilet cassettes. (We carry a second cassette to extend our time away from dumpage locations.) In recent years we have become accustomed to readily available service facilities at Aires and elsewhere in France and Spain. This infrastructure is very much in short supply in the UK, as many have already commented. Not being sure of how far we might travel each day made pre-booking of Campsites/CL’s not possible further in advance of the following day. We were mostly successful in getting pitches for the night.

We found the App “Searchforsites” most useful, “Park4Night” less so and “CamperContact” of no use on this route.

https://www.scottishtourer.co.uk/ Click on motorhome hire and the quote pops up.

My own view is that there are many beautiful places in Scotland. Many people sticking to one route is not sensible. The roads are not suitable for heavy traffic. Too many people regard it as a challenge rather than appreciating the beauty of the area. They drive all day and spend one night somewhere and repeat the following day. I've spoken to perfectly nice people doing this. Explore on your own terms I would say.

Jul 19, 2018
South Angus, South of the Sidlaws.
Funster No
MH
AutocruiseSelect184
Exp
Since 2011
Clachtoll, just north of Lochinver is a great site. Great wee beach, and the "split rock" from which it gets it's name.
Lochinver has a public CDP outside the leisure centre. I think you need to pay/get keys at leisure centre.
Also, the famous Lochinver pies from Lochinver Larder!
You might find a few places along Loch Assynt for overnighting, though the midges could be fierce!

Further south: Big Sands campsite at Gairloch is pretty good. Behind the dunes and straight on to the beach.

On North East Coast there's a club campsite at Dunnet Bay (East of Thurso), on East Coast, one near Golspie. All near beaches.

But, as others have said, booking is probably essential, especially this year as there seems to be more than double the number of MHs / CVs over previous years.

Be prepared for single track driving (get familiar with the rules) and be prepared for a slow journey on some single track sections.

Also, make sure your window screens are midge proof and get midge coils 😉
Ooops. Campsite is Brora, not Golspie. Or rather, just north of Brora. There used to be a great (basic) campsite beside the club one. Not sure if it's still there...

Jul 15, 2015
Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
Majestic 125 3
Exp
3 months
We did it last year. Personally, I couldn't enjoy it as I had to negotiate all the bends with oncoming traffic etc. My wife loved it though. We did stay the night by a harbour side aire. It was £10 Inc ehu. It was an honour system and we paid at the local shop. unfortunately I can't remember where it was. About half way round the 500. love the honor system , its a lovely concept and I'm sure most motorhomers do honor it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back