Tour Guide Wanted NC500 tour in an A class , Any tips? (1 Viewer)

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Without wanting to contribute to a Covid debate, I was a little underwhelmed when we arrived at Applecross after driving The Pass of The Cattle. I have seen far better beaches and my opinion only, the drive was better than the destination.:unsure:

Would it be fair to say that the whole point of the NC500 is the journey, not the destinations?

There are many places we travel through/to that are not as ‘good’ as other places. 🤷‍♂️

Ian

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Would it be fair to say that the whole point of the NC500 is the journey, not the destinations?

There are many places we travel through/to that are not as ‘good’ as other places. 🤷‍♂️

Ian
Sorry, my quote \ comment was mainly around the "better beaches" part.:rolleyes:
There are much better beaches all over Scotland than Applecross.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Without wanting to contribute to a Covid debate, I was a little underwhelmed when we arrived at Applecross after driving The Pass of The Cattle. I have seen far better beaches and my opinion only, the drive was better than the destination.:unsure:
I my opinion you are correct, there are many better beaches around Scotland. I don’t think people go to Applecross for the beaches. It’s more how remote it is and the drive seems to be a bucket list item. The scenery is pretty good too. Been many times on motorbikes and in cars. I won’t bother in the motorhome although I’m sure it’s doable.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Having stopped at Kishorn at the bottom of the pass for a few weeks, the area is stunning but it still doesn’t warrant taking an oversized vehicle of any description over the pass, there are easier routes.
once I had a stag and his ladies jump out in front of me whilst travelling down the pass in my car, if we had hit any of them it would have potentially meant emergency services trying to get up or down to u, doesn’t bear thinking about what would happen if there were motorhomes on the pass.
there is a numpty on utube ‘travel trolls’ who posted himself going up and many people commented on him being an idiot. Mind you he and his girlfriend do appear to have a slate lose Who court disaster and confrontation.gives Motorhomers a bad nam IMHO

Last edited:

frenchie 79

Free Member
May 11, 2021
Funster No
MH
c class
Even though it’s late in the year I would get at least some sites ore booked , some are not opening this year

one of our regular stops Sango Sands at Durness being one 🙁
I’ve booked sango sands for oct 🤷‍♀️

Aug 11, 2023
Ely, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria 640 Twin
Exp
Since 2015
Hi all , since our planned trip to the continent is now off we thought we would look at the Scottish NC500 from Inverness round the top of Scotland. We plan to go later this month and take about 8 days . We have a Hymer A class 7m long 2.3 m wide. Is it possible to do this trip In an A class with the narrow roads ? or are we mad to consider this. Any tips or suggestions and for stop offs or wild camping (I have yet to convince the wife wild camping could be fun , as newbies we haven’t done this yet )

Any tip or suggestions would be appreciated
Go it’s blinking great especially if the weather is on your side. Some roads are single track but there are pull in places to enable vehicles to cross. We did it in a lhd Rapido 7.39m no issues. Good food nice locals and amazing scenery and wildlife. I would avoid Applecross as it not advised/not legal? You’ll have a blast.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Go it’s blinking great especially if the weather is on your side. Some roads are single track but there are pull in places to enable vehicles to cross. We did it in a lhd Rapido 7.39m no issues. Good food nice locals and amazing scenery and wildlife. I would avoid Applecross as it not advised/not legal? You’ll have a blast.
He may have been & done it, the post was 3 years ago.

Sep 3, 2023
Doncaster, UK
Funster No
MH
AS winchcombe
Exp
Since 2014
The NC is lovely. The hopeman site is fantastic. As is sango sands. Great distillery on way out of thurso from John o groats . Called wolfburn. Lovely stuff. If you go sango see smoo caves. 8 days I would take longer n see more. We didn't return to Inverness instead headed on to Skye. Enjoy your trip fingers crossed for weather.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back