LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Never been a member but we are considering joining.
I know there is an ongoing discussion with CAMpRA regarding overnighting but what is the parking generally like for motorhomers.
Pointless joining if we wont be able to get in the car parks.
6.7 m motorhome.
Thanks in advance.
Graham

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Do your research welll in advance as some of the sites are very tight for parking and others down very narrow lanes.

National Trust website lists all locations and details for parking.

We have a 7.4m and usually get in most places, but I do research first, including google street map for the routes in, especially around Cornwall for low bridges that their website wouldn't mention.

Good luck and have fun visiting.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Have a look at this map that ceejayt has created.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Never been a member but we are considering joining.
I know there is an ongoing discussion with CAMpRA regarding overnighting but what is the parking generally like for motorhomers.
Pointless joining if we wont be able to get in the car parks.
6.7 m motorhome.
Thanks in advance.
Graham
If you are thinking of joining, this may save you a few pence,

Buying the Scotch national Trust membership, its cheaper, (£87 for two for 60 years old compared to the English National Trust cost of £120 for two), and allows you full access to the English national trust sites.

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
If you are thinking of joining, this may save you a few pence,

Buying the Scotch national Trust membership, its cheaper, (£87 for two for 60 years old compared to the English National Trust cost of £120 for two), and allows you full access to the English national trust sites.
Does that include free parking in England too?

Pete

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Scottish NT does not include parking charges at English NT sites
We had membership 2018-2019, used many times in England without issue. It maybe something that needs asking in person.I do not recall using it for stand alone parking.
An area that maybe a bit of an issue is around the stand alone car parks owned by the NT. Many are going over to the scan and print machines where the member scans their membership card and a ticket for parking is printed. Could be the case that the machine will not recognise the card. Its something I will be looking into next week as we may rejoin for using the membership through the Summer this year as we are not over in mainland Europe. I shall enquire around the parking position

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Here is a post on a forum linking questions around Scotland NT

How do National Trust for Scotland members park at National Trust properties with parking charges?
In all instances where parking barriers are enforced, these will be manned and you can show your membership card. While you won’t be able to scan your card in the NT ticket machines, you’ll still be able to park for free as long as you have your valid car parking sticker displayed on your vehicle. We’re currently working with the National Trust on a more permanent solution and we’ll update all our members once we have this finalised.

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
In our experience NT car parks are large and well organised. We often stop at one for lunch/break if we're en-route to somewhere. Never had a problem with our 7m van.
Yes same for us. But I wouldn't join just for the parking of course.....:sneaky:

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Carding Mill and Lincs Aviation heritage Centre both now on the map click here

Green flags good for 8m plus vans - equally important that we get some more red flags up there for places not to try with your motorhome so just let me know and I will ad them.

Remember the criteria is just that you can access the parking (or not) and get a cup of tea - anything else is a bonus :LOL:

Thanks

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Beg to differ. We’re NTS members and although the English NT ask members to scan their membership card to park, the NTS car park sticker is accepted at all NT car parks, allowing free parking.
Interesting, I`d was told at one of their sites NTS membership specifically excluded parking charges in England.
Anyway I`ve emailed to ask so I`ll post their reply on here.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Interesting, I`d was told at one of their sites NTS membership specifically excluded parking charges in England.
I'd always understood that to be the case. (y)
Basildon Park is our nearest NT property. Although there is also a NT plot of land nearer. The Chase, iirc

Also, unrelated ;) How are you getting the ` in I'd? :think:
Surely on most keyboards the ' for an apostrophe is easier to get at.
Maybe it's an Android thing or summat. NVM :rofl:

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
There’s a reply from NTS in post #15, which might help to clear up any doubt. We’ve been NTS members for over 20 years and I can vouch that our NTS parking cards have always been accepted at NT sites without question. When the NT brought in their new machines with scanning, we queried how to obtain a ticket and were told that the NTS cards wouldn’t scan, but to ensure that our NTS car park sticker/card was clearly visible as we were entitled to park foc with the membership, as are NT members in NTS properties.

The NTS membership cards won’t scan at the entrance to the NT properties either, but the staff normally write down the membership number in order to log it. Old-fashioned tech, but it works!

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
This quote from the NTS website might help:

How do National Trust for Scotland members park at National Trust properties with parking charges?​

In all instances where parking barriers are enforced, these will be manned and you can show your membership card. While you won’t be able to scan your card in the NT ticket machines, you’ll still be able to park for free as long as you have your valid car parking sticker displayed on your vehicle. We’re currently working with the National Trust on a more permanent solution and we’ll update all our members once we have this finalised.

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
And here’s the NT website page which explains that reciprocal rights exist for members of other national trust organisations, which are members of INTO (international national trusts organisation).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back