National Coal Mining Museum Wakefield (1 Viewer)

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Took a trip there today, what a gem, they only charge £5.00 per head for the underground tour. It lasted two hours and was hosted by “ex miners “. Excellent Cafe serves huge bacon baps, The exhibits above ground are well presented, could has spent another two hours there . Don’t miss it. We parked in a coach bay with consent .

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Strange isn’t it, all the time I worked as a service engineers in the pit I never went to Wakey.

And I lived only a couple of miles from there ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I took the kids a few times when we lived over there. They used to enjoy going downt pit too. Then fussing over the pit ponies . Do they still have some there?
I remember one of the miners showing us mussel shells down there and saying the area was all under the sea thousands of years ago.
I used to pass the place every day when going to work in Huddersfield . Watch your speed though . It goes 30/40/30/50/60/40/30 along that road. Numerous speed cameras too.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
In fact I’ve a pic from the Wakefield express of the 3 of them looking at the displays above ground, one summer, that they used to advertise the place somewhere.

Dec 5, 2017
York, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Almost approaching average
I took the kids a few times when we lived over there. They used to enjoy going downt pit too. Then fussing over the pit ponies . Do they still have some there?
I remember one of the miners showing us mussel shells down there and saying the area was all under the sea thousands of years ago.
I used to pass the place every day when going to work in Huddersfield . Watch your speed though . It goes 30/40/30/50/60/40/30 along that road. Numerous speed cameras too.
It’s a vicious set of traps which takes a fortune. Much has no logic other than to confuse drivers. Reckon you could easily trip up a few times in half an hour on this road.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Won't be visiting this one, had a panic attack trying to go down the one at Beamish. feel sick just thinking about it.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Won't be visiting this one, had a panic attack trying to go down the one at Beamish. feel sick just thinking about it.

It’s just like getting into a lift ?

If you don’t think about where you are it’s only like walking in a train tunnel.

Do you use the underground?

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Yes I do use underground but the one at Beamish you had to stoop down and walk to get into it felt very claustrophobic felt physically sick and had to go back.
It’s just like getting into a lift ?

If you don’t think about where you are it’s only like walking in a train tunnel.

Do you use the underground?

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Yes I do use underground but the one at Beamish you had to stoop down and walk to get into it felt very claustrophobic felt physically sick and had to go back.

That’s a shame as it’s a real eye opener for those that haven’t been down before.

Maybe Big Pit has better access?

Some of the pits I used to work at you could barely crawl between the roof supports ?

It was a relief to get out into the road ways.

Just as well I was slimmer then.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back