LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We have had the Chieftain for about 5 years now..
We have found three mystery switches over the years..
The first one I found is in the glove box.. The wires from it go straight into the OEM Fiat loom and to this day remains a mystery
The second one is hidden behind the small off side front reading light
It controls some hidden lights under the small step going the bedroom/toilet/shower area at the back of the van
Originally I thought this had been added by someone but have found a couple more Autotrails with the same thing
Indeed, no names no pack drill and all that, but I was asked if I knew where the switch for those hidden lights was as they had owned the van for a year and had not been able to turn them off !!

The third switch has finally revealed its use !
On the right hand side of the hab door entry, there are some switches
The top one is obvious and controls the step
The following one equally obvious turns on the internal entry light.

But the third...........
Five bloody years of wondering..
It is not mentioned in any hand book or paper work
I have even taken the fridge out to trace the wires but it was no help as the wires went straight in to the Autotrail loom
I have plagued many other random owners with the question but they either did not know or did not have the switch
I called up Autotrail and gave them all the van details but they could not help. After a couple of days a lovely lady rang me back to say they did not really know, but sometimes the switch was used for a light in the 'ski' locker
Took out all the flag poles, the Quest pop up, the sand mats and a few other bits of crap and switched the switch
Ahhhh !!
Darkness and def no light fitting of any sort
Then, as documented elsewhere, I fitted a diesel heater.
This involved some work in the off side long locker I have always stored the ramps in.
It was in there I noticed a wee light fitting.. After extricating myself from under the bowels of the van I went round and flicked the mystery switch.. Yup !!
The switch by the door that has baffled one and all for years controls a light on the other side of the van that was pretty well hidden :)

The switch in question is the bottom one in the picture below.. It does have a tiny green indicator light set in it ( the pimple in the middle ) showing when it it on

1576241836964.png

So that is my mystery switches

What are yours?

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
We have one like the bottom one that is for the light in the battery locker

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Wot's wrong with BMW driver's they are not all Ar/holes and dick eds.
this is meant for Just smiffy / jaws

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MannClan

Free Member
Dec 5, 2015
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
coachbuild
Exp
approx 2003
The first one I found is in the glove box.. The wires from it go straight into the OEM Fiat loom and to this day remains a mystery
Jaws - just a thought about this - it could be for disabling the vehicle. try different positions and starting the engine. you never know !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Jaws - just a thought about this - it could be for disabling the vehicle. try different positions and starting the engine. you never know !!
Welll.. there are two positions.. on or off ................
It does not make any difference to anything ( that I have so far noticed ) ..It is def an original Fiat fit, but more than that ...
Still, it wont be there shortly as I have another purpose for it elsewhere :)
No point in paying for a switch when I already have an unused one ( read.. I am tight git ! LOL !! )

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back