LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
At the risk of being ridiculed .............. could you tell me how exactly I would wire this device in please? My limited understanding of the EBL99 is that all charge/transfer etc is automatic (?).

So if I fit this device instead of solar, then the leisure battery will top up the starter battery (?) until both are flat?

You can effectively ignore the EBL if you go my route, that takes care of engine running and hookup.

I wired solar controller direct to leisure battery. That is a circuit in it's own right, the sun shines the leisure battery gets charged.

Then I went a stage further and fitted the engine battery charger, as has been said, once the leisure battery is charged, at 13.6V, it switches on and trickle charges the engine battery. Connection could not be simpler - wire to ground/0v, wire to engine battery, wire to leisure battery. Now these three wires are available on the screw terminals on the back of the EBL where you will find great big wires to each battery, since I can see the back of the EBL I can also see when the engine battery is being charged.

You do not fit this instead of solar. Your van plus EBL already charge the engine battery, so the extra unit not needed. The extra unit is needed because the EBL does NOT know I am charging the leisure battery using solar, it does not show on the ammeter. I do have a NASA battery monitor which knows everything that goes in/out of the leisure battery.

As you know, the solar can be connected to the EBL and will charge the engine battery but I could not be bothered getting the German kit and routing the wires under the driver's seat.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Thanks again chaps (still dithering on this :cautious:) (y)

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Why dont you just run a positive 4mm link cable between the positive on leisure battery to posiive on starter battery with a 15 amp in line fuse near the leisure battery. This gives the starter battery trickle charge all the time. Has worked for us on 2 vans over the last 10 years.

steve & ann. ............. teensvan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Why dont you just run a positive 4mm link cable between the positive on leisure battery to posiive on starter battery with a 15 amp in line fuse near the leisure battery. This gives the starter battery trickle charge all the time. Has worked for us on 2 vans over the last 10 years.

steve & ann. ............. teensvan
The possible problem taking that route is you could flatten the start battery with a heavy leisure load with insufficient charge to leisure.
Ta andy

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
No, that's the advantage of living where we do. :) Well, that, a great view, proximity to some fabulous motorhoming areas...

KH
If you needed to make a claim for burglary or attempted theft, the insurers might not take the same view. :eek:

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back