I'm a Tour Guide My 6 month of MH ownership review (I'm not a tour guide lol) (1 Viewer)

Nov 21, 2021
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
Newbie, former van camper and still wild camper
Well we bought our first MH end of last October, we have had it six months and have travelled 1150 miles on our 13 nights 'vanning' as we call it. Before we bought we researched reviews and diligently read all of the relevant content on this site and others. We then decided on a budget of £20000 and went out to see some used vans at local garages in the northeast. The vans we looked at were utter s*#+e and priced more than we had budgeted, so we looked further afield and decided an old Hymer 544 or similar was the way forward. Simply said our budget was not enough so we were resigned to give up and continue to van camp in our little van and awning😭. I then started to consider squeezing a smaller van on our very narrow drive to save long term storage costs. I began researching MH dimensions on line and began measuring our drive etc and decided a Autosleeper pollensa would fit......the hunt was back on! Our budget was still a stumbling block so we agreed an increase of £3000 (hardly worth it I know). We looked again with our narrowed down choice of an Autosleeper with the mono type body shell. I didn't fancy the Peugeot version as the engine size seemed small and we wanted a good coach built type rear seat belt configuration. Still finding a decent one was like finding hen's teeth. However we did and we were rewarded with a Autosleeper Amethyst (transit) 2005 it was a little old man's pride and joy. The van came with every possible receipt, new tyres, new solar and leisure batteries but with a faulty fridge, a deal was made for a little under our budget.
Pros:
Good strong engine with low miles and a usable 6 speed gearbox (goes like stink)
It fits on drive
Bed above cab for our son
Solar
30mpg
Extensive service and good accessories like wind out awning
Loads of storage
Proper oven

Cons:
When it's really windy it blows around a bit like a sail on a boat lol
Driver's door seal needs looked at it isn't very effective not worn just doesn't seem a good fit at top of door (only when windy)
Interior is a bit old fashioned

Good luck to everyone on your 'vanning' adventures we are loving every minute of it and can't get out enough 😃
Cheers Mark
Ps I think I've posted this in the wrong section, I've wrote it now so it's on...please move to correct section if you like cheers

OP
OP
Outdoors Dad
Nov 21, 2021
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
Newbie, former van camper and still wild camper
Yeah fridge fixed at A19 caravans and is very effective now. Just need some sun now

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back