Multi-trip Annual Travel Insurance Cover for Europe - Couple Aged 67 and 65 years (1 Viewer)

Billy R

Free Member
Oct 23, 2018
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 586
Exp
Since 2007
I am hoping to visit Europe at the end of August for 4 weeks. I still have an valid EHIC card but also carry Annual Travel Insurance just in case. I am now 67 and not only has my insurance gone up dramatically but because I am now over 65 years my 'length of stay' for any particular trip has gone down from 60 days to only 21 days. Can anyone advise where I might get a good deal please. Many thanks Billy R.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We use Eurotunnel insurance but as far as I know you now have to have a booking with them to be able to use it. Last year it was less than £90 for the 2 of us. You don't need to declare any medications you are taking. If you need to claim your GP will just need to say that you were fit to travel.

Unfortunately we can't use it anymore as multi-trip as Joe has turned 70 but we will still be able to use them for single trip insurance but no idea how much that would be.

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I was going to suggest Columbus Direct, who we have used for years for multi-trip cover at a reasonable price. During that time, we have had a couple of very modest claims met in a timely and reasonable fashion. One was for a 3-day flight delay caused by the 'ash cloud' circa 2010, and the second one a couple of years ago, when Mrsmikebeaches was poorly on the eve of flying to Italy, which we had to cancel - we only claimed just over £300 and they paid up in full without even requiring any paperwork - just a telephone review of the details of the claim. So I was quite impressed.

However, I was just checking recent reviews - our renewal is due very soon - and noticed that there are a lot of very unhappy clients at the moment, as a consequence of the pandemic. So as not to be at risk of unreasonably and unfairly posting negative information about the company, I noted the following reply from Columbus on Trustpilot to one complainer, dated 20 November 2020.

"As for the rest of your comments, we cannot deny that it has been a challenging period since the travel restrictions started to be applied in March. This has led to an unprecedented volume of enquiries since, and there have been delays in meeting this demand. As you have commented, this has led to some of our customers being unhappy. Our teams have been working tirelessly to get back to a position of delivering the high standards that we expect."

I guess a lot of travel insurers have faced a wall of cancellation claims, probably resulting in poor outcomes for clients. :unsure:

Edited to add that we have always taken 'Bronze' level cover for Europe only. I am 70 and Mrsmikebeaches is almost there. We declare a modest list of relatively straightforward health issues. The premiums have been reasonable so far, and the medical cover is £5 million for each of us, which we think should be more than sufficient - and of course is the main reason we buy the insurance! :giggle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
You may want to check Staysure, they cover up to and over 70's and you can choose to extend your cover up to 100 days

I'm just looking now and multi trip annual cover with 100 days extension is £267, 68 & 70 years old

I've used them the last 3 years, never claimed yet and hopefully don't ever need to but not heard anything bad up to now

Al (y)

Upvote 0

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Avanti insurance
Phill D

I've just done this quote Phil and the webpage looks remarkably like Staysure, up to 90 days trip cover came out at £355 for slightly less cover than Staysure

mikebeaches

Columbus btw Mike came in at £554 for a max of 45 days :(

Al ;)

Upvote 0

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
My only observation is, please check mortal remains repatriation, this now a requirement as a third country.
I was told yes of course it does, read the policy, no it did not.
I appreciate this a morbid subject and an unlikely event, however from personal knowledge it's eye wateringly expensive. Plus a specific requirement now.
Don't be put off merely be blunt with your questions and make sure they put the clause in writing

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Phill D

I've just done this quote Phil and the webpage looks remarkably like Staysure, up to 90 days trip cover came out at £355 for slightly less cover than Staysure

mikebeaches

Al ;)
I believe avanti is part of the same group but tends to be more accepting a pre existing medical issues and a cheaper price.

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
mikebeaches

Al ;)
Blimey, we paid £162.34p for annual cover with maximum trip length of 31 days, which was sufficient for us. We've had the 45-day option in previous years.

Was your quote for 'Bronze' Europe only? :unsure:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Billy R

Billy R

Free Member
Oct 23, 2018
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 586
Exp
Since 2007
Just been looking again on the internet as suggested and from my point of view the best is Staysure. Actually cheaper than my quote when I was under 65. As we are both under 70 years we can get the 'comprehensive cover' with 50 consecutive days and a combined trips total of 183 days which will do us for £98. It would have been slightly cheaper if I hadn't added Cyprus +. You can get extensions of stay for an additional payment. Many thanks for all the advice - appreciated. But I believe my problem is now solved.

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We always use the Caravan Club Red Pennant insurance. We are extremely satisfied with the cover they give us. We have claimed and they were excellent. When my husband was sick in Spain they were brilliant.

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Have a look at Nationwide Flexplus, family cover up to 70 years old then a supplement of £65 a year. Their travel insurance is great plus you get UK and European breakdown included all for £13 a month (I think)

Upvote 0

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Blimey, we paid £162.34p for annual cover with maximum trip length of 31 days, which was sufficient for us. We've had the 45-day option in previous years.

Was your quote for 'Bronze' Europe only? :unsure:
hi Mike

that was for their top cover similar to Staysure's, i've forgotten what it was called now, maybe gold or platinum

Upvote 0
Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016
Looking at the advice above I got quotes from Staysure - £120 and C&MC - £333 (I am a member). I'm 67 and my wife is 60, we both have minor pre-conditions which I've declared. Both policies cover repatriation. Staysure was for 50 days in one trip and C&MC was for longer. But we're unlikely to do more than 50 days in a trip so all good! Also Staysure provided an additional 3 months cover, so 15 months for the price of 12.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back