MPG differences Peugeot 130 and 160 BHP (1 Viewer)

woggga

Free Member
Feb 4, 2018
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Don’t have one yet
Looking to purchase a new motorhome in the near future. We are currently set on an Eddlis 196 Autoquest.
Now these are popular model for dealer specials however dependent on the dealer is what engine is fitted.

there is a choice of Euro 6's at the mement either 130 or 160bhp. Apart from a few cap upgrades on the 160 e.g. satnav is there a notable difference in mpg? I assume the 130 will be working harder?

Do MH manufacturers have to state their mpg's?

Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
woggga

woggga

Free Member
Feb 4, 2018
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Don’t have one yet
No not a concern whether we get a MH at all, just a genuine enquiry on whether to shell out a few extra K or not? It would be useful to know I'd of thought unless you tow a fuel bowser. ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
No not a concern whether we get a MH at all, just a genuine enquiry on whether to shell out a few extra K or not? It would be useful to know I'd of thought unless you tow a fuel bowser. ;)
We all pull 3500 kgs or a little more. In our case 4500kgs. My mpg's are 28 on average . That is on a 130 bhp fiat . There are others who may be on a 150 or 160 BHP that may be able to tell you any more regarding their engine size etc.
We travel a 25 ft 4500 kgs PHG (Private heavy goods) motorhome. It often covers 28 mpg's at 56 mph. I honestly don't see the point in going any faster? At that we get where we want to go comfortably. If I may add...I also pull a car! What I don't do is pull a bowser! Dont concern yourself with fuel economy. You are possibly paying a small fortune for your motorhome. MPG's? Who really cares?
Do not get me wrong here but..I honestly believe that if you can buy a motorhome at £loads! You can afford to run it! Correct? BHP is where you are going with this Im sure. The more BHP the better the 'Grunt'.
Remember....big blokes need more weetabix! Its no different with a truck! :D

Kev(y)

Upvote 0

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Your right boot is more important than bhp with regard to mpg. If you want advice: go for the bigger engine - why not :) Justify it with this or any other way you want - boys toys - cannot take it with you etc. You will only regret not buying and not miss a couple of £k.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Your right boot is more important than bhp with regard to mpg. If you want advice: go for the bigger engine - why not :) Justify it with this or any other way you want - boys toys - cannot take it with you etc. You will only regret not buying and not miss a couple of £k.
A man after my own heart! Having said that....My missus told me what to have! :love:

Upvote 0

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I had 130hp at 3650kg and now replaced by a 150hp 3500kg motorhome.

The 150hp is slightly higher geared and I find you need to tour along the motorways etc at a slightly higher speed or it requires a gear change on almost every hill it meets.

Which is ok if you want to go faster.

I tend to plod along at around 50/55mph and the 130hp would just dig in and plough up the hills in sixth.

To reduce the requested gear changes I now tour along at 60/65 mph.

Which is not my holidays are about.

Even though I now drive a bit quicker. Fuel wise the 150hp is around 10mpg better.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
I had 130hp at 3650kg and now replaced by a 150hp 3500kg motorhome.

The 150hp is slightly higher geared and I find you need to tour along the motorways etc at a slightly higher speed or it requires a gear change on almost every hill it meets.

Which is ok if you want to go faster.

I tend to plod along at around 50/55mph and the 130hp would just dig in and plough up the hills in sixth.

To reduce the requested gear changes I now tour along at 60/65 mph.

Which is not my holidays are about.

Even though I now drive a bit quicker. Fuel wise the 150hp is around 10mpg better.
Are you saying the 150 is capable of 35 plus mpg's at 56mph? Just curious?

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Not quite the same but it will give you an idea. I drive a 130hp minibus based on the Ducato maxi chassis, so nearly as heavy as a motorhome.
Driving all short runs in a semi urban area (no fast roads and only a little open road work) I get about 26mpg

Upvote 0

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
The lower BHP engine is a good unit but if there was an option to take the bigger engine variant for my motorhome then I would always opt for that one first.

MoHo's are heavy bits of kit so having that extra bit of umph is always useful to have.

Upvote 0
Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
When I first read this thread I imagined all the chunnerings from some Funsters on here who make it their life’s work to partake in this wonderful lifestyle as cheaply as possible. How much are shoestrings these days? :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
My last MH was a 130 I now have a 3ltr 180 auto and I have not noticed any difference to speak off I tow a car also.
I went from a 2.0jtd on 3.3 tonnes to 3.0 jtd on 4 tonnes to 2.3 150 jtd. All gave +/- 25 mpg. Now with a V6 Merc in 5.5 tonnes and get about 21, but not massively bothered about it as the ambience outweighs the thirst

Upvote 0

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Get the 160 BHP i know i would if i was buying new and had the dosh (y)

Upvote 0

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
We have the elddis/majestic 155 running at 150bhp and 3430kgs
Drive mostly at 60-65 and average 31mpg
Have dropped that to 26mpg when giving it an Italian tune up :whistle:
Is it the marquis dealer special your considering

Upvote 0
Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
It has always amused me that folks will spend 50k to 80k on a motorhome and then start worrying about a few MPG, I a have a rough idea on my MPG but have not done a proper check, the trouble is there so many things that can affect it, " headwind " especially if it has an overcab pod, "Speed" 55 mpg is the best, "Weight" how much is crammed inside, how many passengers, how much water, "Hills" is it mainly motorway travel and/or fairly flat, "Manual or Auto", "Towing" I have a heavy box trailer with a scooter in it.
There are so many issues that can affect MPG if this a major worry folks would have to decide if they afford a motorhome in the first place.
My worst experience. A 5ton 3 litre Iveco manual Hobby with plenty of water onboard and the wife and six dogs and a trailer, north from the Midlands on the MI with a high wind heavy rain storm blowing straight at me, 16-18 mpg, my current van is a 9.3m 3L 7 ton auto and I am happy if i am getting over 20 mpg but its great vehicle and I accept that its penalty I have have to pay ( although I do try to stick to 60mph so I can get past the HGV's

Upvote 0

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Running Commercial Sales for 2 Citroen Dealers (Same Vehicles different bumpers) I think I am qualified to talk about this!
The 130 will run absolutely fine. The new Euro6 engine is the 2.0 130BHP, this engine pulls like a train and should'nt struggle with anything. Combined MPG - 47.1.
The 160 is a different animal, its seriously quick! MPG - 45.6.
Obviously payload and overhangs etc will have implications on the consumption.
Can you specify the base vehicle Woggga? If so then try and get the Professional version (From selling the vans its about an £800 jump) However on the Professional version like Citroen's Enterprise versions you will gain Cruise Control, Touch Screen with DAB Radio, Air-conditioning.

Simon

Upvote 0

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
It’s amazing the mpg difference putting a MH body on the base van makes . I’ve a 16 plate 2 ltr Peugeot that I drive with a fairly light foot and I’ve never got better than 29 mpg.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
woggga

woggga

Free Member
Feb 4, 2018
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Don’t have one yet
We have the elddis/majestic 155 running at 150bhp and 3430kgs
Drive mostly at 60-65 and average 31mpg
Have dropped that to 26mpg when giving it an Italian tune up :whistle:
Is it the marquis dealer special your considering

Yes it is a Marquis Majestic we are considering.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
woggga

woggga

Free Member
Feb 4, 2018
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Don’t have one yet
It has always amused me that folks will spend 50k to 80k on a motorhome and then start worrying about a few MPG, I a have a rough idea on my MPG but have not done a proper check, the trouble is there so many things that can affect it, " headwind " especially if it has an overcab pod, "Speed" 55 mpg is the best, "Weight" how much is crammed inside, how many passengers, how much water, "Hills" is it mainly motorway travel and/or fairly flat, "Manual or Auto", "Towing" I have a heavy box trailer with a scooter in it.
There are so many issues that can affect MPG if this a major worry folks would have to decide if they afford a motorhome in the first place.
My worst experience. A 5ton 3 litre Iveco manual Hobby with plenty of water onboard and the wife and six dogs and a trailer, north from the Midlands on the MI with a high wind heavy rain storm blowing straight at me, 16-18 mpg, my current van is a 9.3m 3L 7 ton auto and I am happy if i am getting over 20 mpg but its great vehicle and I accept that its penalty I have have to pay ( although I do try to stick to 60mph so I can get past the HGV's

I wasn't worrying about it I was curious, we have two options to buy currently, and if there was considerable benefit it would of been worth taking regardless we will be outlaying £50k upfront. As it is negligible and will now go for the additional power benefit. I understand drag weight etc. would be a big impact it's basic physics. But peeps experiences are worth hearing.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
The problem we had when looking at going this route is that Peugeot supply the 2.0 160bhp in the L3 5.99 metre professional but not in the L4 6.36 metre professonal, how ridiculous is that.
So you can't get the professional version in L4 160bhp.

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
It's more the way you drive it than the CC or HP. If you drive steady, on the flat, keeping the engine at its maximum torque speed (around 2000rpm) you will achieve its best results whatever the engine.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back