Motorhomes (1 Viewer)

Sep 19, 2020
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
Exp
Hi everyone ,
My partner and I have just sold our VW Crafter camper and ready to take the step and buy a proper Motorhome. It being our first I’m feeling very nervous as it’s a lot of money we are spending and we don’t really know much about them. We went to look at one today at a garage and the man told us we should be very careful as lots of vans do have damp issues , he said even be careful when buying from dealers. We looked at a beautiful Approach autograph 625 which we both loved the only negative for us was it had no fixed bed 2016 with hardly any miles on the clock. However the guy selling on behalf of the customer told us and was very honest and said that he had replaced the end floor (under seating area) at rear as he had a leaking rear window. He said he was very confident the issue was completely sorted . What’s everyone’s thoughts ? Any advice on purchasing would be greatly appreciated as we are two ladies and feeling we need to get a little more clued up on this Motorhome Malarky 😬

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I think you need to do a lot more research before you even think about parting with money

Have you got a copy of Jim’s Buyers Guide which is on here?

Nobody on here can tell you if xyz motorhome is any good,or whether it will suit your needs. Some folk will tell you Hymers are good,some will say Autotrails leak..............but they all vary,sometimes the older ones are better than the newer ones etc,etc,etc,

You have to buy from a dealer you trust,as the likelihood is you’ll be going back with problems. There are dealer reviews on here. Good luck.:giggle:

Upvote 0

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
That’s why you need to check what warranty is issued with the ‘van, and also how much (if any) manufacturer’s warranty has left to run.....
Layout is all important, and my advice is not to rush into buying!

(and don’t forget payload!) (y) ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
I suggest you get in touch with Simon in the post above who is local to you. He’s in the trade and is renowned for saying it as he sees it. Being new to the game he would be invaluable.
I have no connection nor have I met him but I know he talks a lot of sense on here

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I think you need to do a lot more research before you even think about parting with money

Have you got a copy of Jim’s Buyers Guide which is on here?

Nobody on here can tell you if xyz motorhome is any good,or whether it will suit your needs. Some folk will tell you Hymers are good,some will say Autotrails leak..............but they all vary,sometimes the older ones are better than the newer ones etc,etc,etc,

You have to buy from a dealer you trust,as the likelihood is you’ll be going back with problems. There are dealer reviews on here. Good luck.:giggle:

I agree with all that, starting with the research comment.

Then when you have done the research make a specification list - e;g you either want a fixed bed or spend 5-10 mins making up one every night and lose the same area for aything else after. Likewise tou want a garage for scooter, bikes, kayak etc or not. What payload(you may first have to find out hoe=w to calculate it(don't believe manufacturers' or dealers' 'empty weight). RHD or LHD? Euro emissions for city centres or not? Budget? How old van? New or secondhand?

If you cannnot answer all those now keep your money well locked up till you have the answers to those and 20 other questions.

Many rush in and then change the vehicle twice in 2-3 years at considerable loss.

When you have made the spec concentrate on only those that fit it. Do not be afraid to buy an older one, unless the low emissions is on your spec.

If this sounds 'scientific' and hard headed, it is, but you yourselves said it is a lot of money.

Good luck

Geoff

Upvote 0
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Hi there! Can I ask why you have decided to move from your camper into a motorhome? That may give us some idea of how to help you.
I do agree with some of the other comments that I feel you should do some more research before buying, they are an expensive purchase and it would be a shame to get it wrong.
Visit a dealer near you and look around all the different layouts. Pretend as if you are stuck inside on a rainy day... How will you move around the van together, can you shower easily or is it a contortionist act, is there somewhere to lounge, if you like cooking, is there enough space to prepare the types of meals you would like to cook??
Once you have found a layout of two that you think you like, rent a van with as close to that layout as you can find, even if it means traveling to do so. Try the van for a week and I guarantee it will show you some points about the layout you hadn't considered!
Good luck and welcome to the forum!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back