Motorhome puppy (2 Viewers)

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Well I've had a few threads up in the pets section so some of you will know I fulltime in my B524 and was recently looking after my mums German Shepherd Sherpa while she was in hospital.

We got on great and she easily settled in to her temporary new life although when there was constant rain she was stuck inside more than I would have liked.

On the whole though things were great and not only has she persuaded me even more to try and find my own dog, I think I would even like a dog of the same size. Of course if I was to get another GS there is no guarantee that they would be as well suited to vanlife as Sherpa was but I really can't see myself getting anything other than a GS. They are the only breed of dogs I have grown up with (as yorkies surely don't count :unsure: ) and I really do love them.

Sorry, I'm rambling.... So after keeping my eye on rescue websites here and abroad for some time now with not much luck I think I am going to get a GS puppy.

Is this a good idea given my fulltiming status? Has anyone else any experience of this? Would it even be fair on a puppy?

All feedback welcome.

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
Hello monzer , when my son brought home his gs pup, i was aghast,of all the breeds of dogs youve picked a gs, hes now 3 years old and i love him to bits, hes the most happy,smiley,funny,character, who just wants to be with you and be your friend,if i were to get another dog myself it would probably be a german shepherd, he looks fierce but he isnt, and he is incredibly handsome ,but i think id have to get one from a pup,as i babysit,(you do see quite a lot on rescue sites) ……… plenty of walks will be the key to a happy relationship🤗

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
always sunny dance GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
GIF by Artero Professional Line
Friends Dogs GIF by MOODMAN

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
I've come across quite a few people with two or even three large dogs and small camper vans. They all seem happy with the arrangements in the van. However its not for me. For one some sites don't allow large dogs and I wouldn't want to be squeezed up in a van with big wet dogs. But good luck with your future puppy, i'm sure you'll cope well .

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
The only downside I can see to a GS living in a van is the amount of hairs they cast. We dont have great weather in winter for the dog to be outside much but I'm sure with you now having the experience of having Sherpa you know this. What would happen if your mum took ill again and you had to look after Sherpa again. Just something to think about. Anyway I will look forward to seeing some new doggy photos. :)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Well I've had a few threads up in the pets section so some of you will know I fulltime in my B524 and was recently looking after my mums German Shepherd Sherpa while she was in hospital.

We got on great and she easily settled in to her temporary new life although when there was constant rain she was stuck inside more than I would have liked.

On the whole though things were great and not only has she persuaded me even more to try and find my own dog, I think I would even like a dog of the same size. Of course if I was to get another GS there is no guarantee that they would be as well suited to vanlife as Sherpa was but I really can't see myself getting anything other than a GS. They are the only breed of dogs I have grown up with (as yorkies surely don't count :unsure: ) and I really do love them.

Sorry, I'm rambling.... So after keeping my eye on rescue websites here and abroad for some time now with not much luck I think I am going to get a GS puppy.

Is this a good idea given my fulltiming status? Has anyone else any experience of this? Would it even be fair on a puppy?

All feedback welcome.
Perfect dogs for campers I agree

Why not get two?
CB2B65A2-CE7B-4F8A-AF09-ABCE5F44DD43.jpeg

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
Having had 2 shepherds in the past I agree that they could be the perfect motorhome companion. Both mine were very laid back and providing you give them plenty of exercise and enrichment they will settle down to sit/lay with you. They would not do well if you had to leave them shut in alone frequently though I wouldn’t think. I do agree that they do shed a lot! Frequent brushing with a de shedding comb and hoovering is necessary! Having said all that, we haven’t finished our van yet so Alfie sadly didn’t get to experience the full van experience but he loved spending the day snoozing in it after a walk whilst we were working on it.

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
We travel with a very large Old English Sheepdog, we adopted him from a loving home when he was 3, we collected him in our motorhome for the 400 mile journey home. He made himself at home from the moment he got into the van, travelled well and slept through the night. This is the first time we have not gone for a puppy and wouldn't hesitate to rehome again. We can't imagine van life without a dog.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Sherpa didn't seem to cast as much in the van, I thought she was going to make a right mess but it was fine.

I just don't know if it's a good idea having a new puppy in the van. Lot of work and possibly a lot of mess for such a little van.

Good point about mum irnbru that is something I will have to consider.

What's the pro's regarding buying a puppy that is KC registered? I don't really know what that means/

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
In my opinion Monzer there is no difference, we have had Old English Sheepdogs for over 40 years, some registered, some not. What is important, in our opinion, is the breeder and how they care for the puppy's. Always visit the breeder, check the conditions where the pups and mother are kept, spend as much time with the breeder to get the feel of the environment they are kept in.

The hardest decision is to walk away if things don't feel right. Just remember there are people who only breed dogs for money and don't care about the dogs at all.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I just don't know if it's a good idea having a new puppy in the van. Lot of work and possibly a lot of mess for such a little van.
A couple of points that may be useful to you from my experience of raising a Border Collie puppy in a van - but feel free to ignore them. :wink:

1. My puppy was 14 weeks old when I got her. At this age they are able to go much longer between pees/craps than at the 8 weeks stage, which is when people usually get them. She was also near enough toilet trained by 14 weeks anyway and she never had a single ‘accident’ in the van. Getting an older puppy will make your life much easier but you will still be easily able to train him/her to your way of life.

2. Fulltiming generally means you don’t have a secure fenced garden so it can be difficult to keep a puppy away from other dogs until he/she is fully vaccinated. With a bit older puppy the vaccinations can already have been done before you get them.

3. Choose a puppy with a calm temperament! Even amongst Border Collies, they do exist.

4. Get a crate and use it as a den for your puppy. This is where they will be given treats and toys, and it will become their own space and safe haven. They can be left in the crate for short periods without wrecking the van - until they learn not to.

My dog is now 10 years old and still fulltiming with no problems.

Good luck with your new companion! :Smile:

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
A couple of points that may be useful to you from my experience of raising a Border Collie puppy in a van - but feel free to ignore them. :wink:

1. My puppy was 14 weeks old when I got her. At this age they are able to go much longer between pees/craps than at the 8 weeks stage, which is when people usually get them. She was also near enough toilet trained by 14 weeks anyway and she never had a single ‘accident’ in the van. Getting an older puppy will make your life much easier but you will still be easily able to train him/her to your way of life.

2. Fulltiming generally means you don’t have a secure fenced garden so it can be difficult to keep a puppy away from other dogs until he/she is fully vaccinated. With a bit older puppy the vaccinations can already have been done before you get them.

3. Choose a puppy with a calm temperament! Even amongst Border Collies, they do exist.

4. Get a crate and use it as a den for your puppy. This is where they will be given treats and toys, and it will become their own space and safe haven. They can be left in the crate for short periods without wrecking the van - until they learn not to.

My dog is now 10 years old and still fulltiming with no problems.

Good luck with your new companion! :Smile:
Great feedback thanks. Have an extra boiled tattie with your tea tonight, on me!

Reactions: maz
Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Having had 2 shepherds in the past I agree that they could be the perfect motorhome companion. Both mine were very laid back and providing you give them plenty of exercise and enrichment they will settle down to sit/lay with you. They would not do well if you had to leave them shut in alone frequently though I wouldn’t think. I do agree that they do shed a lot! Frequent brushing with a de shedding comb and hoovering is necessary! Having said all that, we haven’t finished our van yet so Alfie sadly didn’t get to experience the full van experience but he loved spending the day snoozing in it after a walk whilst we were working on it.
Get one! They can even push swings…

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
Id like to put a photo of my sons dog that changed my views on german shepherds but i dont know how to download a photo🤯

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Id like to put a photo of my sons dog that changed my views on german shepherds but i dont know how to download a photo🤯
Is the photo on whatever device you are using to post on here? If it is just click on 'attach files' and choose the photo.

Jan 8, 2020
North Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
January 2012
We do not have a dog but one day in the Peloponnese an abandoned puppy crawled past our wild camping spot. He was dehydrated and full of tics. In fact we removed 60 of the evil things. We gave him some food and water of course and made a little kennel out of an old plastic crate. In the night there was a terrific storm and high winds so we brought him inside. About 2:00 we heard him crying so I got up to find him sitting in a very small "bucket". Luckily we found a kind local family who took the puppy and we see him every time we travel that way. It was a lovely experience caring for one so young.

Attachments

• New Puppy.jpg
    New Puppy.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 42
  • nighttime puppy.jpg
    nighttime puppy.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 42
OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
We do not have a dog but one day in the Peloponnese an abandoned puppy crawled past our wild camping spot. He was dehydrated and full of tics. In fact we removed 60 of the evil things. We gave him some food and water of course and made a little kennel out of an old plastic crate. In the night there was a terrific storm and high winds so we brought him inside. About 2:00 we heard him crying so I got up to find him sitting in a very small "bucket". Luckily we found a kind local family who took the puppy and we see him every time we travel that way. It was a lovely experience caring for one so young.
I've gotta ask....... How did you manage to not keep him? Look at those little eyes 🥺

Jun 20, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We have 2 Golden Retrievers - one 3, the other 8 months old and we have an Ace Capri 2 berth so quite small. Things to make things easier - for a young puppy - the incontinence blankets they sell for children's beds. For any dogs - Equafleece to put on when it is wet and they are likely to get muddy - washes and dries easily and for just wet- like the early morning run in grass wet with dew - ruff and tumble coats to absorb the water so it doesn't get on the seats - we have 2 coats each for them as they do take time to dry because they absorb so much water.

Conrad J

Free Member
Jul 10, 2020
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 646
Exp
Since 1999.
I'm sure you know puppies don't come house-trained..........
Also I suspect you'll be lucky to find a rescue home or a reputable breeder who will sell you a puppy if you live in an enclosed space full-time, for good reason.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back