Motorhome Insurance - Comfort info (1 Viewer)

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Phoning round and it seems as vehicle value is circa 95k they need a tracker as well as alarm grrr
got a quote for a vodafone cobra cat 5 at £600 can do cat 6 but I think 5 is better.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Phoning round and it seems as vehicle value is circa 95k they need a tracker as well as alarm grrr
got a quote for a vodafone cobra cat 5 at £600 can do cat 6 but I think 5 is better.
Have you tried Safeguard they didn’t want a tracker on ours?

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
Have you tried Safeguard they didn’t want a tracker on ours?
Thats who we are with now and price gone up 30% hence trying to ring round

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Thats who we are with now and price gone up 30% hence trying to ring round
Yes I am with them and their prices are high but on ringing around couldn’t get what we wanted so are sticking with them. Give Adrian Flux a shout they quoted us £725 but windscreen cover was only £1000 so not using them .

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
Yes I am with them and their prices are high but on ringing around couldn’t get what we wanted so are sticking with them. Give Adrian Flux a shout they quoted us £725 but windscreen cover was only £1000 so not using them .
they wanted over a grand and were totally useless, did not feel comfortable with them. Looking like we may have to stay or get a tracker

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
NFU will not insure as we do not have any other policy with them and van is worth more than 75k

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
NFU will not insure as we do not have any other policy with them and van is worth more than 75k
NFU quoted me £989 with a compulsory excess of £550 because it is a self import? And no breakdown as over 3500 kg
Safeguard want £936 including unlimited windscreen, breakdown and European cover with legal protection.
It’s all a minefield and if you have a van worth around £90K it’s even worse.
Good luck with it.(y)(y)

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
C&MC have come back with a good quote with AXA as insurers and do not need a tracker so looks like I may move there. No breakdown cover but the van has Fiat Assist for a couple of years so not too much of an issue. £350 excess though.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
C&MC have come back with a good quote with AXA as insurers and do not need a tracker so looks like I may move there. No breakdown cover but the van has Fiat Assist for a couple of years so not too much of an issue. £350 excess though.
Any downside, or exclusions, for just relying on Fiat assist within the 2 year warranty period?

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
Another one who’s renewal from Safegaurd had gone up too much, Comfort was cheaper than Safegaurd by £170 plus addition of “New for old” up to 3 yrs 15k (sadly should stay below that)

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
Re Comfort 3rd party
I spoke with them yesterday ref the above post 3rd Party only abroad they told me it was comprehensive.
Caravan and Motorhome Club quoted £25 less but no Breakdown add on apart from expensive Red Pennant.
So will stick with Comfort provided the 3rd party issue abroad is rectified.

What???? Going to France in July, do I need to check my Policy as i thought it was comprehensive in Europe as well. Hey due to stupid politicians aren’t we still in Europe anyway?

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
Any downside, or exclusions, for just relying on Fiat assist within the 2 year warranty period?
I guess some but should get the vehicle repaired, and I think you have to be away from home so no home start.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
In the UK they will only recover the van to the nearest dealer and won't pay hotel cost but will pay for train fair home & to collect the van.
It's full cover in mainland Europe.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
What???? Going to France in July, do I need to check my Policy as i thought it was comprehensive in Europe as well. Hey due to stupid politicians aren’t we still in Europe anyway?

Where has this 3rd party reference come from? Looking through the thread I'm confused. This is my Comfort policy and cover is comprehensive within the "territorial limits" subject to fairly reasonable conditions.

Comfort.JPG

TL.JPG

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I think it’s because minimum cover of third party is very often quoted in the blurb just to confuse us all(y)(y)(y)

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
So after calling round we eventually had a tracker fitted and have taken out cover with Comfort at £459 inc breakdown.

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Just renewed with Comfort at £335 was £365 last year.
Only issue as I mentioned a while back is refused to cover contents whilst in storage as a non approved site. However got cover sorted with home insurer whom just also happens to be Aviva.....

MHdreaming

Free Member
May 19, 2014
SouthEast UK
Funster No
But Comfort don't have a NCD they have a net policy.

Just renewed my Comfort Policy it's gone down again.
They have also improved breakdown cover now includes, Home Breakdown, Misfuelling and repatriation cover increased to £5,000 & still only £62.
You are correct Comfort don’t do a NCD as such, but they will keep a record of your NCD if you supply it to them.
This is then available should you decide to use an alternative insurer in subsequent years.
I would guess the protection they offer is to this record.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Our MH insurance is due shortly, Safeguard gave a silly renewal price so have been looking round for another provider, Comfort have so far come in best for cover and price at £312 for up to 10,000 miles but I can't recall ever being with them.

We won't be taking out European cover as our camper has a year's Fiat Assist left which will do what we want as we don't know if we'll even 'escape' the UK this year.

We're wondering whether it's worth protecting our NCD though - we've got over 9 years but if we make a single claim it would reduce to 3 years for the next year, however the cost with Comfort to protect it is £32.50 but the reduction in benefit from 9 to 3 years is only 6%, ie £19, which seems silly as we'd only make a claim if it was for something major as our excess is £200 anyway (no effect of glass claim on NCD at all).

If we do go with them apparently we can get a 15% 'friend recommendation' discount, so long as I have a friend who'll recommend me (they also get a 15% discount on their next renewal if I take out a policy) - do I have any 'Comfort friends' out there?

Any issues / comments will be gratefully received before I commit (yes I've already looked at the reviews!).
Do fiat assist do repatriation if can’t be fixed in a reasonable time?

MHdreaming

Free Member
May 19, 2014
SouthEast UK
Funster No
Fiat assist does include repatriation if you need confirmation phone them
You'll probably need to phone Italy but they'll speak to you in English

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Think you will find Fiat Assist breakdown is for 3 years although of course in the 3rd year you'll pay your own repairs

It is 36 months in my handbook, subject to the vehicle having been registered with UK number plates since 1st March 2016 and having undergone all of the relevant service operations scheduled in the vehicle handbook. The small print states that it only covers breakdowns which cause the red dashboard warning light to illuminate and prevent the vehicle from being started, although other services may be offered at Fiat Chrysler Automobiles UK's "absolute discretion".

So not as comprehensive as a separate breakdown policy.

MHdreaming

Free Member
May 19, 2014
SouthEast UK
Funster No
It is 36 months in my handbook, subject to the vehicle having been registered with UK number plates since 1st March 2016 and having undergone all of the relevant service operations scheduled in the vehicle handbook. The small print states that it only covers breakdowns which cause the red dashboard warning light to illuminate and prevent the vehicle from being started, although other services may be offered at Fiat Chrysler Automobiles UK's "absolute discretion".

So not as comprehensive as a separate breakdown policy.
I have not read those details in the handbook and can not find them. I'm assuming your reference to the red light is for year 3? I did call Fiat assist to ask if this covers repatriation in the third year. They asked for details of my vehicle chassis/reg no etc. I was told the breakdown cover is the same for year 3 as year 1 and 2 throughout Europe. So now I don't know? Since the van is 3 yrs old in September I wont worry too much but it would be interesting to know what the correct position is.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Only outside the UK, in the UK they will pay train fares to get you home & collect the vehicle
It is 36 months in my handbook,
Only applies to UK converted vehicles where the chassis was UK supplied otherwise it is 2 years the same as the warranty.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Think you will find Fiat Assist breakdown is for 3 years although of course in the 3rd year you'll pay your own repairs
I believe it depends on what country it was made in, our Globecar only has 2 years for warranty and assist.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I have not read those details in the handbook and can not find them. I'm assuming your reference to the red light is for year 3?

No, it's a general condition of the entire warranty period. Having re-read it, I can see the interpretation is different to my original assumption. It covers any event which causes the vehicle to stop running/fail to start or render it unroadworthy. The reference to the red warning light confirms that a fault where the warning light is displayed but the vehicle otherwise starts and runs will also be covered. My error :(

But other circumstances often covered as default by specific breakdown insurance policies are at Fiat's discretion.

As Lenny HB says though, the 3 year warranty is only for vehicles order through and supplied by the UK dealer network which excludes most coachbuilt and many PVC MHs built by foreign converters. In all other cases it is for 2 years.

Warranty.JPG

MHdreaming

Free Member
May 19, 2014
SouthEast UK
Funster No
No, it's a general condition of the entire warranty period. Having re-read it, I can see the interpretation is different to my original assumption. It covers any event which causes the vehicle to stop running/fail to start or render it unroadworthy. The reference to the red warning light confirms that a fault where the warning light is displayed but the vehicle otherwise starts and runs will also be covered. My error :(

But other circumstances often covered as default by specific breakdown insurance policies are at Fiat's discretion.

As Lenny HB says though, the 3 year warranty is only for vehicles order through and supplied by the UK dealer network which excludes most coachbuilt and many PVC MHs built by foreign converters. In all other cases it is for 2 years.

View attachment 309320

I have a Burstner Nexxo T690G Sovereign registered September 2016 purchased from a UK dealer.
I’m not sure if Lenny is referring to Camper Assist being 3 years or the Warranty being 3 years.
I have checked with Fiat Camper Assist and have been told the road side assistance for my van is valid for 3 years with the same cover as year 1 & 2.
I questioned the Fiat professional workshop I used about a 3 year warranty on Motorhomes built in the UK they said they had never heard of anything other than a 2 year warranty on new vehicles either purchased in the UK or Europe. They did add however if the vehicle has been serviced by a Fiat Professional Workshop Fiat will usually offer to make contributions to repairs for Motorhomes after the 2 years Warranty has elapsed such as free or low cost parts.

When my van was 6 months old I used Fiat assist in Portugal and was sent a recovery truck although the van was driveable with the yellow light on, I followed the recovery truck to a Fiat Dealer in Faro. I then used Fiat assist again in France two weeks later with the same fault yellow light on again when the recovery arrived the light was out I again followed the recovery truck to a French dealer, there was no fault code stored and the light was out so made our way home as scheduled. After arriving home the yellow light came on again with the van sitting on my drive. I called Fiat assist, they sent an RAC van to my home he diagnosed the problem as the DPF. Fiat assist booked my van into a Fiat Professional workshop. Fiat assist then called me as I left the Workshop to ask it the problem was resolved. I thought it was. However a week later the light came on again. The Fiat Professional dealer booked my van in again this time the fault was diagnosed as needing a new wiring loom to the DPF, I was told. After this the van has been faultless. The Workshop was 30 miles from my home they reimbursed my fuel costs and even collected me from my home to collect the van.

Looks like my handbook is different than yours. The red light is not mentioned in the section headed “Breakdown”
The section “Conditions for using the service”is the same requiring the vehicle to have been serviced correctly by Fiat.
In my handbook under “other assisted problems” there is no mention of “at the discretion of” it only gives a list of other events that are covered.

IMG_7604.JPG

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I have a Burstner Nexxo T690G Sovereign registered September 2016 purchased from a UK dealer.
I’m not sure if Lenny is referring to Camper Assist being 3 years or the Warranty being 3 years.
I have checked with Fiat Camper Assist and have been told the road side assistance for my van is valid for 3 years with the same cover as year 1 & 2.
I questioned the Fiat professional workshop I used about a 3 year warranty on Motorhomes built in the UK they said they had never heard of anything other than a 2 year warranty on new vehicles either purchased in the UK or Europe. They did add however if the vehicle has been serviced by a Fiat Professional Workshop Fiat will usually offer to make contributions to repairs for Motorhomes after the 2 years Warranty has elapsed such as free or low cost parts.

When my van was 6 months old I used Fiat assist in Portugal and was sent a recovery truck although the van was driveable with the yellow light on, I followed the recovery truck to a Fiat Dealer in Faro. I then used Fiat assist again in France two weeks later with the same fault yellow light on again when the recovery arrived the light was out I again followed the recovery truck to a French dealer, there was no fault code stored and the light was out so made our way home as scheduled. After arriving home the yellow light came on again with the van sitting on my drive. I called Fiat assist, they sent an RAC van to my home he diagnosed the problem as the DPF. Fiat assist booked my van into a Fiat Professional workshop. Fiat assist then called me as I left the Workshop to ask it the problem was resolved. I thought it was. However a week later the light came on again. The Fiat Professional dealer booked my van in again this time the fault was diagnosed as needing a new wiring loom to the DPF, I was told. After this the van has been faultless. The Workshop was 30 miles from my home they reimbursed my fuel costs and even collected me from my home to collect the van.

Looks like my handbook is different than yours. The red light is not mentioned in the section headed “Breakdown”
The section “Conditions for using the service”is the same requiring the vehicle to have been serviced correctly by Fiat.
In my handbook under “other assisted problems” there is no mention of “at the discretion of” it only gives a list of other events that are covered.

View attachment 309337

You have the Fiat Camper assistance handbook. Mine is the commercial vehicle warranty book because it is a UK supplied and converted PVC.

The Breakdown assistance is separate to the manufacturer's vehicle warranty. Fiat's base warranty is for 2 years. The UK dealer network provides a third year extension to the manufacturer's warranty, but only for vehicles ordered and imported through them, and registered in the UK. In practice this means on the MH side of things that it only applies to PVCs supplied by UK based converters who have ordered and collected base vehicles through the UK dealer network.

PVCs sold by Burstner, Adria and foreign converters won't have the UK 3rd year warranty as their vans are sourced from the dealer network in their own country. Almost all, if not all coachbuilt MHs, whether supplied by a UK converter or foreign, will only have the base 2 year warranty because although the MH conversion chassis or back to back cabs may have been delivered to them in the UK, my understanding is that they have to be ordered direct from Fiat in Italy and the contract being directly between the converter and the manufacturer bypasses the UK dealer network altogether from the order, importation and delivery side of things.

My PVC was ordered through a UK Fiat dealer in Reading who in turn ordered it from Fiat, imported it and delivered it to the converter in Leeds, so it has the 3 year mechanical warranty and 3 year breakdown cover. But the breakdown cover is not Camper Assistance because the vehicle as delivered by Fiat was a panel van, albeit specified with relevant conversion options.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back