Motorbike Security on Towbar Rack? (1 Viewer)

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Hey all, I have a Watling Towbar mounted bike rack on my van:
IMG_20201117_151207.jpg

I have a Honda Grom on order that should be here next week (so can't wait - like a kid :giggle: ) and would like ideas for security?

I already have a big chain that would reach around the bike and through the towbar. Is this a good idea?
IMG_20201117_151230.jpg

Is there anything else I should think about? Maybe a Disk Lock? Alarm?

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Don't forget to use your alarm security loop around all of it.

I really must get around to getting one of your alarms Eddie. Not been the easiest year to travel though...

Hoping to be back in the South Feb/March - once I know I'll get it booked in (y)

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
You can get quite affordable E-Tags that give GPS tracking on your phone. They are run on a battery so don't need plumbed in and are so small that they can be secreted about your ride. I think they are around £50-60 a pop.

When I had my bikes on the trailer I just used a big F-off chain and padlocked them to the bump stop and used a throttle/brake lever lock that I bought off EBAY for £12. Layered security is the key and cover it if you can.

I found that the times you actually leave the bikes unattended in public was actually quite rare. When they we arrived at our destination they were unloaded and sat next to the MH so were protected by their own insurance and devices from the trailer.

I also found that there was a wee insurance anomaly about having expensive bikes on a trailer. Basically, the insurance company wouldn't cover the bikes whilst on the trailer, only when off it and the van insurance only covered trailer contents to about £3k, about a sixth of the total value; so they sort of fell through the cracks as it were, careful of that wheeze!

TBH, the whole exercise was a bit of a drag ( no pun intended) so I don't do it anymore. We actually rarely used them and it was proving to be a real PITA dragging them round the country. TBH I was more worried about the bikes falling over in the trailer and getting damaged rather than nicked, so I sold the trailer on.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I used to tow a Harley on a trailer, never gave any thought to insurance and lucky I never had a problem,but looking back,it was most likely not covered

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I just use a decent lock through the bike and right round the rack ( have the same one as you )
Do not lock a wheel with the lock but the actual frame !

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
When they we arrived at our destination they were unloaded and sat next to the MH so were protected by their own insurance and devices from the trailer.

There are lots of folks with that understanding but most insurers also have a clause that cover (for bikes over 150cc) is provided only for a journey that originates in their home country. If your journey only commences after you unload the bike from your trailer, would you be assured that you are still covered?

Ian

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Mmmm.... interesting. That would be for the individual to bottom out with their own insurance company. In my case it is academic as I sold my nice trailer and no longer tour with MH and bikes. It turned out to be to much of an embuggerance to try and combine two hobbies!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2020
East Mids
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I pondered over a smaller Moho/larger bike with tow bar vs larger Moho/smaller bike no tow bar.
The latter won.
The downsides of a trailer were overwhelming.
Storage, maneuverability. theft, maintenance, electrics, tow bar, chains, locks, and costs.
Much prefer the less stress option.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back