Motor caravan conversion gotchas? (1 Viewer)

Bealers

Free Member
Aug 12, 2021
Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
HT/LWB 5T Sprinter
Exp
Hi,

I've been reading through gov.uk guidance and lurking on a few forums like this one and am ready to start thinking about applying to get my 5T sprinter officially converted but I have a 100s of questions about the process, but I'll limit this to the two most important ones.

How finished does the build need to be? Can I apply even though we've not insulated yet?

Does anyone have a reference for what "Motor caravan-style graphics" look like? Will any form of signwriting count?

Thanks in advance :)

Darren

James-Alex

Free Member
Oct 3, 2020
Bath. Somerset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail excel 640G
Hiya,
From what I have seen/read lots get turned down for conversions. Be sure to make sure you tick all boxes, I was surprised the ones that I've seen got told "van with windows".

I have seen stickers for sale on ebay/amazon. but cant help on the format. Best of luck

Also w2f

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi and welcome.

On the insulation would have thought that was one of the first steps, under floor panels and behind wall panels.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Unless the sign writing is pictorial the DVLA wallahs will view it as a commercial van
You really need something like this:

1628757565876.png

Or this:

1628757603513.png

Wagonagain

Free Member
Jun 19, 2021
Funster No
MH
Ducato Ace Siena low
I would suggest you not do it like this tugger I saw a few weeks ago or they will think it will be an ice-cream van 🤣🤣

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210812-100347_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210812-100347_Gallery.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
Bealers

Bealers

Free Member
Aug 12, 2021
Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
HT/LWB 5T Sprinter
Exp
Hi and welcome.

On the insulation would have thought that was one of the first steps, under floor panels and behind wall panels.

Hi,

I've been decommissioning the van (2009, ex-police) and am down to bare metal inside now so I can get the rust treated. However, it's not an instant job in terms of time or money, so can't start insulating just yet. The vehicle is insured as a camper being converted. The bed is in, I have table & chairs fitted, leisure circuit in, the awning is ready to fit so 'all' I need is a cupboard with a burner on and some stickers on the side and I'm ticking all the boxes on their checklist. I was kind of hoping I could get the official DVLA conversion signed off and then take my time with the rust, insulation and finishing the interior

I guess my question was more: If I turn up in a vehicle that ticks all the boxes but the interior isn't insulated or the paintwork is patchy in places as it has not been resprayed yet, will DVLA instantly fail the conversion?

OP
OP
Bealers

Bealers

Free Member
Aug 12, 2021
Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
HT/LWB 5T Sprinter
Exp
I would suggest you not do it like this tugger I saw a few weeks ago or they will think it will be an ice-cream van 🤣🤣
Hah,

in a previous life I had a caravan and my ex put coloured spots all over it. My (now adult) kids all tell me they all need therapy because of times we'd rock up on site and other kids would shout "There's Mr Blobby's caravan" 🤣

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi,

I've been decommissioning the van (2009, ex-police) and am down to bare metal inside now so I can get the rust treated. However, it's not an instant job in terms of time or money, so can't start insulating just yet. The vehicle is insured as a camper being converted. The bed is in, I have table & chairs fitted, leisure circuit in, the awning is ready to fit so 'all' I need is a cupboard with a burner on and some stickers on the side and I'm ticking all the boxes on their checklist. I was kind of hoping I could get the official DVLA conversion signed off and then take my time with the rust, insulation and finishing the interior

I guess my question was more: If I turn up in a vehicle that ticks all the boxes but the interior isn't insulated or the paintwork is patchy in places as it has not been resprayed yet, will DVLA instantly fail the conversion?
DVLA are more than a bit picky on these things.
I have read of even semi professional jobs being classed as van with windows..
Good luck.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
You don't have to turn up anywhere , as the process is by post , send pics and fill in form /V5 change . There are two possible routes you can convert upto point of compliance with items to use as a motor-caravan . Then apply and it will almost certainly come back as "van with windows" as body type in V5 . You can go the whole hog and try and comply with the supplemental s as listed on GOV site , and it will almost certainly come back as "van with windows" just the same . In either situation you then basically self declare as a "motor-caravan" and get a class 4 mot and use as a "motor-caravan" as per guidance on GOV site . HTSH :)

jp11

Free Member
Aug 15, 2021
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Minibus conversion
My minibus conversion V5 came back as a 4-seat van with windows after I had it downrated to 3500kg.
What do you mean by "self declare as a "motor-caravan" and get a class 4 mot and use as a "motor-caravan" as per guidance"? Self declare to who?

Deleted User
It is not necessary to get a van classified as Motor Caravan. If you follow the DVLA guidelines and convert the interior to meet their requirements the vehicle can be used as a Motor Caravan even though the external appearance has been reclassified as a 'van with windows.

Deleted User
The pictures were just to illustrate the graphics nothing more
It's the graphics I was referring to. If you cover your van with mountain scenes and compasses then it may get passed as Motor Caravan but if you just use geometric patterns, stripes or swills then it will be van with windows. I have seen numerous applications on a website dedicated to self builds that came back as van with windows. if you ask the DVLA what yardstick or assessment tools they are using to decide on appearance of the van they will simply refer you to the published guidelines and won't give any more advice.
There have been numerous complaints to the ombudsman and they have agreed the DVLA are not acting reasonably but the Ombudsman can only give an opinion and not make the DVLA change their policy.
It's a total shambles and just pot luck as to what a van conversion will be classified as. I saw recently, my have been on this forum, where the owner plastered motorcaravan in big letters on the outside of the van and still it came back as van with windows. The owner then complained to his MP and the van then got reclassified as a Motor Caravan.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
It's the graphics I was referring to. If you cover your van with mountain scenes and compasses then it may get passed as Motor Caravan but if you just use geometric patterns, stripes or swills then it will be van with windows. I have seen numerous applications on a website dedicated to self builds that came back as van with windows. if you ask the DVLA what yardstick or assessment tools they are using to decide on appearance of the van they will simply refer you to the published guidelines and won't give any more advice.
There have been numerous complaints to the ombudsman and they have agreed the DVLA are not acting reasonably but the Ombudsman can only give an opinion and not make the DVLA change their policy.
It's a total shambles and just pot luck as to what a van conversion will be classified as. I saw recently, my have been on this forum, where the owner plastered motorcaravan in big letters on the outside of the van and still it came back as van with windows. The owner then complained to his MP and the van then got reclassified as a Motor Caravan.

And now the Manchester LEZ will determine the price based on the registered body type. £60 for van with windows, £10 for motorcaravan.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
My neighbour gave up after the third attempt with DVLA.

It’s insured as a van with windows, with an agreed value with his insurance company. 🤷‍♂️

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Cheers for that.. good info !

EML

Sep 18, 2018
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
15 years
It is not necessary to get a van classified as Motor Caravan. If you follow the DVLA guidelines and convert the interior to meet their requirements the vehicle can be used as a Motor Caravan even though the external appearance has been reclassified as a 'van with windows.
I've read the speed limit legislation, and I was surprised to find that there's no definition of use as a "motor caravan". There's no reference to the DVLA guidance on the interior of the vehicle. And the DVLA guidance changes all the time anyway, and that's not how legislation works.

Conclusion - it doesn't actually matter what the interior looks like, and the DVLA guidance is simply what's required to get a V5C registration change. If you use it as a motor caravan, then you're Ok on speed limits. I don't have a "fixed table", for example, but I'm 100% certain that my top limit is 70mph.

EML

Sep 18, 2018
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
15 years
I've been reading through gov.uk guidance and lurking on a few forums like this one and am ready to start thinking about applying to get my 5T sprinter officially converted
Darren - you should start by telling us why you think you need an "official conversion". I think you might be wasting your time.

Deleted User
I've read the speed limit legislation, and I was surprised to find that there's no definition of use as a "motor caravan". There's no reference to the DVLA guidance on the interior of the vehicle. And the DVLA guidance changes all the time anyway, and that's not how legislation works.

Conclusion - it doesn't actually matter what the interior looks like, and the DVLA guidance is simply what's required to get a V5C registration change. If you use it as a motor caravan, then you're Ok on speed limits. I don't have a "fixed table", for example, but I'm 100% certain that my top limit is 70mph.
I read the DVLA guidelines to mean for a vehicle to be recognised as being converted to a motor caravan it has to meet the 4 categories listed in the guidelines. The changes to the interior are not related to changing the V5c as this is only for what the vehicle looks like.
For the body type to be changed the Vehicle must have the external features as described in the DVLA guidelines.

"For a vehicle to be recognised as being converted to a motor caravan it must meet all 4 categories shown below. For DVLA to change the body type, the vehicle must have the external permanent features described in the DVLA guidance for converting a vehicle into a motor caravan."

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
My minibus conversion V5 came back as a 4-seat van with windows after I had it downrated to 3500kg.
What do you mean by "self declare as a "motor-caravan" and get a class 4 mot and use as a "motor-caravan" as per guidance"? Self declare to who?
You self declare to the MOT tester so that it can be tested as a class 4 .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back