MOT Lighting question (1 Viewer)

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
I know some people on here know there MOT stuff so I am hoping someone can answer me this question. My headlight bracket is broken on my car it causes my headlight to shake/vibrate you can see this in the car in front or on road signs. So should it could it pass MOT reason I ask is I asked my dealer to fix this issue under warranty as it would be a waste of time taking it for MOT as it could fail. I also mentioned some other faults I would like them to address with the manufacturer. When I picked up car they failed to look at headlight they forgot even though I had 2 separate conversations with them about it. But they was really keen to do an update on my panoramic roof blind which takes all day under warranty Rumour is its a 90 minute job they get paid 9 hours for. But my concern for now is should it have passed MOT thanks for any advice in advance Paul

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Back from Tennerife just in time:thumb:

The headlamp unit its self is secure, so thats ok on that score:thumb:

The beam will be/appear stable when the vehicle is stationary, as its so close to the beam tester, if so, thats ok too:thumb:

The aim will most likely be unaffected by vibration. Ok No3:thumb:

The actual test although requires a light tap to check security, it does not require it to be tapped whilst looking at beam image for vibration/movement, Ok N0 4 then

Gentlemen this looks like and is indeed a PASS :Doh:
But worthy of an advise if any internal movement is noticed.
You might if you want to, bring this fault to your testers notice if you want documented proof of a fault, it should be retified as a matter of course under warranty as the lamp is after all broken:Cool:
Geo

Last edited:
OP
OP
PORKSTER
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Thanks when the car is parked right up against a wall you can see it flicker which is vibration. And its really noticeable on large street signs from some distance away.Not sure what to do now basicly I want them to repair it under warranty but dealer says they won't.maybe a phone call to manufacturer may help.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi again
IF you are certain the lamp unit is faulty or broken, and the warranty covers such defects, then you have a clear case for the work to be carried out free of charge
ie the lamp unit is "clearly and demonstrably" faulty

How you approach this depends on your desire for a future relationship with this dealer

Even though this fault may or may not be an MoT fail item (I have demonstrated reasons why it may not be) when inspected I may have a completely different view
You might want to use any poker playing skills you have and call their bluff.
Suggest to them you have taken advise and will be asking VOSA for an "Inverted Appeal" this is an appeal against the issue of a pass certificate in a case whereby you believe it should have failed
using that phrase will tell them you have spoken to someone who knows MoT procedure
and they will know how inconvenient and worrying an inverted appeal can be to them
The threat alone may get you a new lamp :winky:
Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PORKSTER
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Like your thinking I have just looked at mot cert and checked on website that there is no advisorys and nothing comes up. But what I have just notice is that it was done by an independent garage so the main dealer hasn't a mot bay. Im up in the air with it realy as they meant to be doing the roof blinds which is meant to be a hellish job infact im shitting myself at the fact of them touching it takeing the insides of my car apart:Doh: And I only have just over 2 weeks warrenty left:Angry:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Ok if the roof job is so "Hellish" and a money spinner :winky:
Tell them they might loose the job cause you have found a dealer who will fix the roof and lamp at the same time.
You can still tell them you are going to see the independent MoT station for the Appeal form
they wont want to fall out with a friendly test station will they:winky:
If they took your car for an Mot for you, is the cost shown on your invoice, if so it should be plus vat, if not they owe the vat man a lot of dosh too
Geo

OP
OP
PORKSTER
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Looks like mot test is down as parts and only vat showing for the actual parts total of parts show as
73.60 gross
69.67 net
3.93 vat
Labour was 82.00 environmental charge 9.48 as labour too reeds

109.78 gross
91.48 net
18.30 vat

See its getting to me I cant sleep:RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun