More evidence hydrogen fuelled vans could power future motorhomes?

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
An article in the Daily Telegraph today about how the French and Germans are jointly working on a major project, which is claimed might wrong-foot the UK because they are further down the road developing a vehicle fuel-cell strategy. The feature is possibly behind a pay-wall, so I've included just a few short relevant extracts below.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/co...wrongfoot-uk-hydrogen-fuelled-road-transport/

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Stellantis, the giant European and American car-making group (the Peugeot/Citroen/Opel/Fiat conglomerate), has revealed a full production hydrogen fuel-cell van which will go on sale in Europe and the UK this year.

“This is the moment,” says Carla Gohin, Stellantis’s senior vice-president of research and innovation. “We are not talking prototypes, these will be real vehicles for real customers and will be answering specific needs of commercial operators.

The new mid-sized fuel cell van, which will at first be badged as a Peugeot Expert, Citroën Dispatch and Opel Vivaro, will only be available as a left-hand drive vehicle this year, but by 2022 it will also come to the UK as a right-hand-drive Vauxhall Vivaro.

Using a heavily hybridised fuel-cell drivetrain, the newcomer will be based on the group’s existing battery vans. The 45kW fuel-cell system sits under the bonnet, a 10.5kWh lithium-ion battery lives across the vehicle under the seats and three tanks holding 4.4 litres of liquid hydrogen at 700 bar are under the load floor.

The new hydrogen van’s range is quoted at 250 miles with a refuelling time of only three minutes. There is no price yet, but Xavier Peugeot, Stellantis’s light commercial senior vice-president, says that it should have a total cost of ownership similar to that of rival conventional vans.

He says that although the company has been at the forefront of light commercial electrification, it has identified “a serious percentage of users with operations which are not suitable for electric vehicles”.

This is because such users operate a mixed-use cycle, straddling urban and out-of-town use and require a greater range, faster recharging and the retention of the vehicle’s cubic capacity load space.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know these vans are smaller than most MH base vehicles, but will hydrogen fuel cells be the future for motorhomes, rather than pure electric?

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2021
Fife, Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo IT590
Exp
Still training to be a newbie. M/H Apr 2021
I read an earlier article on hydrogen powered cars where the hydrogen fuel capacity was quoted at just over 6kg. The price for hydrogen was around £15 per kg so there probably needs to be a reduction in the fuel price to tempt buyers to switch.

Steve

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 tag.
Exp
Living the dream.
There’s another thread discussing the very same subject 👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
There’s another thread discussing the very same subject 👍

Oops, many thanks - I missed that thread! :unsure: ;)

And yes, it's exactly the same subject.

OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
I read an earlier article on hydrogen powered cars where the hydrogen fuel capacity was quoted at just over 6kg. The price for hydrogen was around £15 per kg so there probably needs to be a reduction in the fuel price to tempt buyers to switch.

Steve
I think it's very early days to assess the costs. The price of fuel will certainly be relatively expensive whilst it is such a rare commodity.

The article mentions:

France currently has 25 hydrogen filling stations, Germany 90 and the UK 12.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I would expect FIAT to offer the next generation Ducato due in 2024 with plug-in Hybrid and full BEV options although the BEV range will be somewhat restricted and more suitable for urban delivery vans than MHs.

I am sceptical about the quality of FIAT manufacture being high enough to provide reliable Hydrogen-powered Ducatos. I shan't be an early adopter!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
I think it's very early days to assess the costs. The price of fuel will certainly be relatively expensive whilst it is such a rare commodity.

The article mentions:

France currently has 25 hydrogen filling stations, Germany 90 and the UK 12.
Hydrogen is the most common element in the universe I think.
Stripping it off other elements is the difficult bit.
Let’s hope investment in it gathers pace.
Mitch
I think it's very early days to assess the costs. The price of fuel will certainly be relatively expensive whilst it is such rare commodity.

OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
I am sceptical about the quality of FIAT manufacture being high enough to provide reliable Hydrogen-powered Ducatos. I shan't be an early adopter!
I know what you are saying about Fiat, but they are now part of the new Stellantis group which are currently building the vans referred to in the article.

It will be interesting to see how those fare. It could provide a clue as to how good they might be at Ducatos and Boxers et al... :unsure: