Free Member
Nov 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Chausson 757
Exp
Since 2015
Hi all got a question for you guys.

We are getting a mobile WiFi fitted to our motor home and trying to work out roughly how much data we would use over a month in the summer whilst away ( when we can get away) we are not full timers but would be away most weekends and during school breaks.

Have two nearly teenage daughters who do watch a lot of you tube gaming and they have phones. More than likely not used for work but will be down loading films and tv etc on fire sticks and smart tv.

So just trying to gage what others use before signing up for a SIM card contract

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
I think its approx a GB per hour for streaming movies etc, so depends on use. I have Vodafone 100GB Sim only which costs me @£10 a month. If you shop arpund ypu may get it cheaper.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
We have two kids that stream data like water.

We also stream TV.

Budget 100GB a month at least and more if you are away during the holidays and not just weekends.

We got an unlimited one for this reason.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
We average 5Gb per day at the moment for two of us general surfing, echo Dot, Firestick, PC, iPad, phones etc so you'll probably need at least this much with two kids hoovering up data aswell

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you are staying in the UK I would suggest you go for an unlimited data contract but otherwise a 50Gb contract might be just enough. :)

Upvote 0
Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
Have a look at Voxi (Voda network). We use their SIM for our Mifi in the van and social media incl Netflix, YouTube and Amazon Prime does not come out of the allowance (depending on which package you use). We've found coverage very good in the UK, including the Highlands of Scotland.

Upvote 0

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Anything other than unlimited data and you will be paying extra . We can easily get through 50GB on rainy day with 3 kids !

Upvote 0
Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
Have a look at Voxi (Voda network). We use their SIM for our Mifi in the van and social media incl Netflix, YouTube and Amazon Prime does not come out of the allowance (depending on which package you use). We've found coverage very good in the UK, including the Highlands of Scotland.
This is what we use

45GB
£20/month

Endless Social Media

Unlimited use of social apps without eating your data.

Endless Video

Stream endlessly on YouTube and video apps on top of your Endless Social Media.

5G Ready

Use our 5G network on 5G-enabled phones.​

Endless Flexibility

No contract, cancel anytime.

Endless Calls and Texts

Unlimited calls, texts & picture messages.

Endless Roaming

Use your plan in Europe, no extra cost.

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
This is what we use

45GB
£20/month

Endless Social Media

Unlimited use of social apps without eating your data.

Endless Video

Stream endlessly on YouTube and video apps on top of your Endless Social Media.

5G Ready

Use our 5G network on 5G-enabled phones.​

Endless Flexibility

No contract, cancel anytime.

Endless Calls and Texts

Unlimited calls, texts & picture messages.

Endless Roaming

Use your plan in Europe, no extra cost.

could you clarify for me that you get Endless roaming in Europe please, all Vodafone ( Voxi ) have a cap of 25gb on roaming or your data limit ( 45gb in your case ) to the best of my knowledge

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
Hi as above I use a SMARTY sim, £20 unlimited UK, on a rolling monthly contract so can be cancelled easily. Like you I have two teenage kids and they can get through data. Also use a Amazon firestick, great piece of kit for us as we have netflix and Amazon Prime. Think you may be limited to 20GB in EU.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
Tell the kids to tether to their own phones and get the data usage capped.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Watch out if you back-up to the cloud, especially if you take lots of photos.
I managed 48Gb in only a week!

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0
Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
could you clarify for me that you get Endless roaming in Europe please, all Vodafone ( Voxi ) have a cap of 25gb on roaming or your data limit ( 45gb in your case ) to the best of my knowledge
Not been able to test in Europe yet so I can't confirm one way or the other - whether or not the inclusive social media and video streaming is capped abroad - again I'm not sure but can't find anything in the T&C's to clear that up. Hopefully be able to test it later this year, but to be fair I wouldn't be surprised if they impose the same roaming usage as Voda - Hence I've taken the Mifi out of the van and am using it at home as well to increase my 'home country' usage. Time will tell!

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Hi all got a question for you guys.

We are getting a mobile WiFi fitted to our motor home and trying to work out roughly how much data we would use over a month in the summer whilst away ( when we can get away) we are not full timers but would be away most weekends and during school breaks.

Have two nearly teenage daughters who do watch a lot of you tube gaming and they have phones. More than likely not used for work but will be down loading films and tv etc on fire sticks and smart tv.

So just trying to gage what others use before signing up for a SIM card contract
At the moment none 🤬

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'm wondering if you really need to have mobile wifi fitted to your MH ... I know some do but phone sim deals are so good I'd go down the route of having them instead nowadays.

The benefit is that obviously if you are out of your MH you can still take advantage of the data allowance on your phone rather than having to be within range of your MH.

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I'm wondering if you really need to have mobile wifi fitted to your MH ... I know some do but phone sim deals are so good I'd go down the route of having them instead nowadays.

The benefit is that obviously if you are out of your MH you can still take advantage of the data allowance on your phone rather than having to be within range of your MH.
It’s really only to have a booster and rooftop aerial and have the ability to latch on to camp WiFi if available.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It’s really only to have a booster and rooftop aerial and have the ability to latch on to camp WiFi if available.
Yup but it seems a lot of money for something that might not be needed anyway.

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Yup but it seems a lot of money for something that might not be needed anyway.
When we could go away I found that my MiFi got a far better signal than our mobile phones and in many cases in Scotland we only got a signal with the MiFi and not on the phones so if you do travel to daft places like Caithness or Shetland you need the booster and aerial👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
When we could go away I found that my MiFi got a far better signal than our mobile phones and in many cases in Scotland we only got a signal with the MiFi and not on the phones so if you do travel to daft places like Caithness or Shetland you need the booster and aerial👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
You are talking about a MIFI aerial not a WIFI aerial though ...

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Upvote 0
Apr 10, 2017
Dunfermline
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E520
Exp
Since 2013
Watch out for a 'Fair Usage' clause in your data deal. Unlimited in the UK does not mean unlimited when you are out of the country. e.g. Unlimited might be restricted to 25Gb in Europe, as we found out last Autumn.

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
The OP was talking about WIFI ... not MIFI ... however I think he's mistaken and he actually means MIFI seeing as he's asking about a sim too assuming of course he doesn't think the WIFI aerial does the same as a MIFI one.
I thought mobile WiFi and MiFi was one and the same

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
Hi, MiFi does not support Wi-Fi alone, it also supports mobile technologies like 3G, 4G or LTE. And unlike Wi-Fi that provides internet connectivity for wireless devices via fixed Wi-Fi hotspots, MiFi allows you to connect your devices to the internet when you're on the move

I have a Maxview Roam Mobile ML050 fitted (easy DIY), this provides Wi-fi and Mifi, great on the move and of course on site. I have never used the Wi-Fi facility (this is used to connect to site Wi-Fi) as the 4G Mifi with a suitable SIM can connect up to 50 devices, enough for even the most IT dense MoHo I should think.

Bought mine here

https://cpc.farnell.com/maxview/mxl...PING&s_kwcid=AL!5616!3!224681439257!!!network}!932044760100!&gclid=Cj0KCQiA0rSABhDlARIsAJtjfCevzeWY3nlEazF5FXDbGTA2xKrw2DrGL0djR03ZPxFVqexJRGMbJlsaApI1EALw_wcB

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Hi, MiFi does not support Wi-Fi alone, it also supports mobile technologies like 3G, 4G or LTE. And unlike Wi-Fi that provides internet connectivity for wireless devices via fixed Wi-Fi hotspots, MiFi allows you to connect your devices to the internet when you're on the move

I have a Maxview Roam Mobile ML050 fitted (easy DIY), this provides Wi-fi and Mifi, great on the move and of course on site. I have never used the Wi-Fi facility (this is used to connect to site Wi-Fi) as the 4G Mifi with a suitable SIM can connect up to 50 devices, enough for even the most IT dense MoHo I should think.

Bought mine here

https://cpc.farnell.com/maxview/mxl...PING&s_kwcid=AL!5616!3!224681439257!!!network}!932044760100!&gclid=Cj0KCQiA0rSABhDlARIsAJtjfCevzeWY3nlEazF5FXDbGTA2xKrw2DrGL0djR03ZPxFVqexJRGMbJlsaApI1EALw_wcB

Thanks for the explanation 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
If you have Prime and Netflix download some films at home and then play them back using no data, we do this via or phone then cast it on to the tv, if away for a couple of weeks we do the same anytime we have free wifi.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back