Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Currently in Spain I am on BT mobile, which seems a very intermittent connection. The network that it usually connects to is Orange, but that stopped working this morning. I changed it manually to Movistar and it worked very briefly, then stopped again. I can also see Vodaphone and Yoigo, but neither connect successfully

It seems to connect itself back to Orange when it feels like it, natural I guess as they are related. I have all the bars and the R (roaming) signal, but no internet

Anything else that I could try? Or is just a need to accept a pretty poor system?

TIA

OP
OP
Clickem

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Is it possible that you’ve used up your roaming allowance?
I think not. AFAIK my full monthly allowance should be available for Roaming and it only starts on the 6th and has used about 1/15th of my allowance

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Did you actually have roaming turned on before you left the UK? The fact that you switched manually to movistar ,it worked briefly & cut off means you might have a problem with the phone/ your supplier?
On our 3 phones + the sim I have in the van tracker, we had to change every card earlier this year so as to be able to access 5G. All the new cards had to have the roaming turned on again by contacting the supplier. Easily done now through our accounts online,whereas before you had to ring & get them to do it.
It also has to be done whilst in country of supply.

OP
OP
Clickem

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Did you actually have roaming turned on before you left the UK? The fact that you switched manually to movistar ,it worked briefly & cut off means you might have a problem with the phone/ your supplier?
On our 3 phones + the sim I have in the van tracker, we had to change every card earlier this year so as to be able to access 5G. All the new cards had to have the roaming turned on again by contacting the supplier. Easily done now through our accounts online,whereas before you had to ring & get them to do it.
It also has to be done whilst in country of supply.
Same phone, same SIM and same contract for last 5 years and worked OK when last abroad 2 years ago. Worked OK in the last week travelling down France and got the usual message from BT on entering Spain, yesterday. Saying can use my allowance and will get a warning and then charged once all data is used

Phone works ie calls, but does not download data/give internet access

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Not BT but Smarty I am reading that in Spain all you need to do is swop it over before you go put phone onto roaming and its free in the bundle am I reading this correctly or do I need to pay the add on
previously it always been included so just checking really

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
For future reference mine stopped working in Norfolk.
Having robooted everyting several times i finally removed the battery.

Lo! it worked!

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
For future reference mine stopped working in Norfolk.
Having robooted everyting several times i finally removed the battery.

Lo! it worked!
Was that Smarty my reception in Norfolk was also rubbish

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Was that Smarty my reception in Norfolk was also rubbish
Yes, Smarty. (which uses the EE network)

I have found that if the area only has one bar of 2G, then "you can't polish a turd", even with the superior external ariel you will not be able to gain much, if any, connection.

However, if the area has a couple of bars of 3G, then it works.

As all the mobile companies use the same masts, the blank areas on the map are the same for all of them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back