Mirror Guards (1 Viewer)

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Hi folks, just bought some, has anyone got any tips on how to put them on so that they stay on, there was no tips/instructions in box only ad leaflets!! also i need to make sure no one can get them , as van is parked on drive (you never know who is lurking about in the dead of night) don't have a dog and wife won't sleep on her own in the van !!! thank you in advance.

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Double sided tape...: it slows the buggers down ?

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
Gorilla Glue and nails work a treat.

Seriously, have you considered those foam pads they use to attach number plates cut down to fit? Can't remember what they are called, sort of double sided tape but foam, should add some cushioning effect too if you bash them.

Probably called double sided foam tape I expect!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
P

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Gorilla Glue and nails work a treat.

Seriously, have you considered those foam pads they use to attach number plates cut down to fit? Can't remember what they are called, sort of double sided tape but foam, should add some cushioning effect too if you bash them.

Probably called double sided foam tape I expect!
Thanks Gaza, won't to much foam padding stop them fitting snug they have some sort of double sided foam sticky pad to attach them , thought of using a blob of silicone ??

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
Use fairy liquid or something similar then black silicone the edges,virtually invisible and never coming off.

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
Silicone, excellent idea, I use the clear bathroom stuff for attaching all sorts of stuff to stuff, even used it on my Harley to stop stuff rattling off!

Should work fine

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Mine are attached with polyurethane adhesive body sealant from motor factors. Pretty much the same stuff as Sikaflex, but at half the price and used to bond car body panels, windscreens etc. One of them is holding the cracked original mirror cover together inside, but neither of them are going to come off in a hurry ;)

OP
OP
P

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
some great ideas guy's, but do I ignore the sticky pads already there and just silicone/sticky stuff over them or put extra stuff in as well as the pads .

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
The pads are there to keep it attached to the mirror housing beneath. Once on properly, they are tricky to get off.
I found it almost impossible to get them to fit properly over my mirrors, not sure they are fully on now, but they don’t seem to want to move.

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
Our last motorhome had double sided cushioned tape fitted. When I removed them to transfer to new motorhome I replaced with like for like. However I'm not sure if both surfaces actually come in contact with each other. Anyway they seem firm enough.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I'd suggest keeping the pads on. If you use silicone, PU adhesive or similar, apply it to the inner face of the mirrorguard rather then the mirror housing on the van. That way if/when it compresses during fitting it will spread back into the housing instead of being pushed over the edge of the mirror. That also allows you to smear some soapy water or similar around the edge of the existing mirror housing which helps with the fitment and positioning in the final stages of pushing the mirrorguard over the mirror, because they are intentionally tight (y)

OP
OP
P

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
thanks guy's just checked and yes they will be tight, one thought how does the sensor fit in the little hole do you just line up and hope or put the bottom bit on first and pray the top goes on.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I hesitate to say that they are all the same, but on mine at least, the sensor doesn't project through the mirror guard at all and the hole only seems to serve in allowing air to reach the sensor above it!

Tea break

Free Member
Jul 28, 2018
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
When I fitted mine I left them in the sunshine to warm up and expand a bit then smeared some fairy around the edge of the mirror guard and then pushed on still a bit of strength needed to get right on but they are on and I only used the the foam pads that were already on the mirror guard white van man gave mine a real whack last week smashed his mirror to pieces mine survived with just a black mark on the guard he was not happy :ROFLMAO:

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Gorilla double sided tape.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I was led to believe that the foam pads used for fixing the Mirrorguards were also part of the protection, giving a little bit if/when impacted. I also believe that when fitted properly they are extremely difficult to get off - the sticky pads really are sticky!

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
We went to the guys house who sells them in Somerset. They had the adhesive pads on them and he fitted them. He got quite physical with them almost wrestling them into the required position.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
They are certainly not precision fit items! You need to waggle them and push a lot to get them to fit. I tried several types of double sided sticky tape without success and eventually bought some Swedish stuff off the internet that did the trick. The Mirrorguards nearly ended up in the bin and I cursed the man who knocked them up in his shed!

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I bought them when they first came out and had to use clamps to put them on as they were so tight to fit .

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Since 2008
Not sure about the cheaper Milenco ones, heard pretty bad reviews about their robustness, so even though they were over double the price, went for the Mirror Guard ones and they came with the padded tape fitted. Were extremely tight to fit, plenty of Fairy around the edge helped, but those babies aren't moving now! Super tight fit. I did forget about the sensor and thought I'd well and truly buggered it up, but it popped right back out through the hole and is working fine.

OP
OP
P

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
UPDATE, put these on a week or so ago they are bar/ds to get on as there are no instructions in the box only ad leaflets I thought they had to go OVER the lip, only found out that they go flush from you tube , when I first put them on I put some fix all silicone on where the indentations are but it didn't work so when I took them off the sticky pads came off too , so put some number plate sticky pads on and some more fix all and made sure they were put on flush , still on even after my son had borrowed the van to go to Wales lets hope they stay on!!

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Since 2008
Mirrorguards have saved us twice now. First time was a 4x4's roof (t!t just plowed on along a narrow road in Italy, I had pulled over as far as possible and come to a halt, then smack! His roof, my mirror). Marks on my mirror - nil. Second time, my fault totally, driving into check in at Folkestone tunnel, tried to get a little too close to the machine! Slight scratch under mirror, but managed to buff it out!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back