MIPV panel ? (1 Viewer)

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
a MIPV solar panel or 3 up to about 300W. Anyone on here using them and if so what controller please? The MIPV man says they can whack out 30v+
Is that 30 volts for each panel? If so, that's 90 volts + for 3 in series. A Victron 75/15 will take a maximum voltage of 75 volts.

Urs4_2008

Free Member
Aug 12, 2016
Vestskogen, Norway
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I
Exp
Since 2009
I guess it's 30v per panel, that's what the man said.
Then go for a 100/20 or 100/30 :)

Sorry, above “12 v” panels are rare on a MH (nominal 20v) so I didn’t think these had such high voltage. Guess these are “24 volt panels” (at nominal 30v)

https://www.altestore.com/howto/solar-panels-pv-and-voltages-a98/

9054F743-413B-484A-A24F-9B84BA7F1803.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I would like to see these CIGS panels tested side by side with some rigid Silicon, as they certainly make some impressive claims for them.

Martin
They do but I haven't seen any figures to backup their claims. For example, when the sun is setting and a conventional panel is struggling to push out say 10W how much would a similar panel from them produce, 12W? If that's all the increase it isn't worth it. Likewise, they claim they produce more power when the sun is beating down on the panel and heating it up. But how much more and mid-day with blue skies isn't when I'm bothered about lack of solar power It's when we have consecutive cloudy days in November I worry when off grid and I'm unconvinced in such circumstances these panels offer much of advantage to justify their premium price. The one feature I do like about them is they are less influenced by shading, but again some figures from side by side tests would be helpful.

Last edited:

Urs4_2008

Free Member
Aug 12, 2016
Vestskogen, Norway
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I
Exp
Since 2009
DBK: I’m also skeptical. My 3mm semi flexible was about USD90 pr 100w panel, if I remember correctly. Prices will probably drop now as the US puts a hefty toll on import panels.

OP
OP
V
Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
It's the lack of weight and quality of construction that sold it to me. If they perform a little better then that's a Brucie bonus. Happy to do a side by side test with someone when I get it sorted for the benefit of all, however we also need to do a noise test in the van from the wind made by "regular panels" and mpg tests with the added drag.... yes I have got my tongue in my cheek but it all goes in the pot.

Urs4_2008

Free Member
Aug 12, 2016
Vestskogen, Norway
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I
Exp
Since 2009
More the dealer than the controller, I am pretty much sold on the controller, that app makes solar charging look soooo sexy ;-)
Agree on the controller :) Wind noise and mpg are very likely no difference between semi flexible 2.5 or 3.0 mm thick panels and these. It’s difficult to find any real info on the panels at all. Are they thinner than 2.5mm? If so, how durable are they? Some regular semi flexible guarantees 25 years. These were 10?

OP
OP
V
Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Just a quick update, done the measurements and it looks like 3 x 110w panels to start with. If I go with a 240 on the left I will get at least 6% shading off the dish when it is parked and maybe more when it's up. Pic shown here is maximum panel coverage, looks like I have the option of 495w if the bank balance allows it.
First panels will probably be the three on the back of the van in a "U" shape for the best effect.

Attachments

• Campervan  Single Solar panel mock up.jpg
    Campervan Single Solar panel mock up.jpg
    434.5 KB · Views: 33

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
Just a quick update, done the measurements and it looks like 3 x 110w panels to start with. If I go with a 240 on the left I will get at least 6% shading off the dish when it is parked and maybe more when it's up. Pic shown here is maximum panel coverage, looks like I have the option of 495w if the bank balance allows it.
First panels will probably be the three on the back of the van in a "U" shape for the best effect.

Wow - great mock up!! Looks very impressive :)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Like it! :) But I would not deliberately put a panel in the shade.

My first attempt, I fitted a normal 100W and was admiring the results at a meet, using the BM1, then a bit later it went pear shaped. It did not take long to see the shadow of the aerial crossing the panel. Panel hastily shifted across the roof.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Yep agree, hence I will avoid the area around the dish unless I fill the roof up.
You can always swing the dish out of the way. This is what I do if we need every amp out of the solar. We rarely use the dish outside the UK so if it is going to cause shading I raise it slightly and swing it out of the way. Not ideal but it works.

OP
OP
V
Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Is it an option to remove the dish? We’re using radio based digital network over here. Dish not needed.
Dish is very much needed, not for the TV but for the radio when we are abroad. In the Uk I will play around to find a good parking spot, good advice, thanks.

Noggin32

Free Member
Mar 11, 2019
South East Wales
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Hi Freespirit,
Been looking at MiPV and surprised to see just 15minutes away in Newport. Seen them first at Malvern show and explained to us developed by Swansea uni. We have a curved roof with limited space so after looking at cheaper options and seen this panel on the Burstner forum think this is the one we will go for. Are you still as happy with yours as previous? Also, do you still have that discount code. Can you private message me. New to this forum.
Thanks

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
It's the lack of weight and quality of construction that sold it to me. If they perform a little better then that's a Brucie bonus. Happy to do a side by side test with someone when I get it sorted for the benefit of all, however we also need to do a noise test in the van from the wind made by "regular panels" and mpg tests with the added drag.... yes I have got my tongue in my cheek but it all goes in the pot.
Hi, I know this is an old post but I'm looking to add solar to my current van and I was wondering how the panels are performing after a few years. I'm asking as on my previous van I had a flexible 50w panel fitted (not sure what type/make but it was a few years ago) to complement the two rigid solar panels. After a while I found that the surface of the panel degraded and the paintwork around the panel bubbled! I presume this was due to the heat generated by the panel? Have you had any similar problems?

OP
OP
V
Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Holy thread resurrection Batman.. 😁
In the end I went with conventional flexible panels of 2 x 150W and bonded them to the rear of the roof and they worked "ok".... until they didn't and they both failed within a year. The supplier honoured the warranty and supplied new ones without too much hassle. Removing the failed ones was a real pita involving a sharp blade and a lot of swearing 🤬 With luck on my side I got away without damaging the roof.
As it happens we had ordered a new van so fitted the new panels on the new van but... this time with an Ali frames mounted on the roof and the panels then mounted to the frames. If the panels fail now it will be an easy replacement. 4+ years in they still perform well which I think is down to them being well ventilated in all weathers.
It was a reader who wrote up about making the Ali frames in MMM from memory end of 2018 I think.
Box Ali cut to size for a frame and then drilled full of holes to take the weight out and give ventilation. Both panels and frames are about 11kg I think... I have had a couple of glasses of red since then so memory fade.
If we change van / add more panels I would go the same route with the frames and not stick a panel directly down, once bitten and all that.

Reactions: SMB

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
😂😂yes it is an old post. Thanks for the detailed reply, I think I'll just bite the bullet and stick to the rigid panels as well, sod the weight I'll just not carry as many boxes of wine 👍

OP
OP
V
Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
😂😂yes it is an old post. Thanks for the detailed reply, I think I'll just bite the bullet and stick to the rigid panels as well, sod the weight I'll just not carry as many boxes of wine 👍
"Not carry as many boxes of wine"? Are you mad :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

• Funny
Reactions: SMB

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back