May 14, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
Caravan owner moved on to Motorhome
Hi Folks,
I just purchased a seal that is supposed to fit the Mini Heki roof vent. It comes in the bag, no instructions or tips on how to fit the thing.
There is a channel all the way around the roof vent which the seal should sit in, but the seal won't go around corners or hold tight in the channel. Is one supposed to glue it in?

Anyone fitted one of these successfully?

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
I used 5mm wide double sided tape..... HOWEVER found almost impossible to do insitue. Much easier to remove panel (easy enough to do ) and turn upside down on flat surface.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
Take the lid with the channel off completely and do it on a table rather than trying it insitu. Only need to remove a couple of plastic pins at the hinge. As said super glue it in.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I assume that you are aware that some manufacturers fit roof lights without seals to meet ventilation requirements. Apologies if you already know this.

OP
OP
Paul Wilkins
May 14, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
I assume that you are aware that some manufacturers fit roof lights without seals to meet ventilation requirements. Apologies if you already know this.
Nope, wasn't aware of that. Just assumed Bailey were just skimping on quality/cost.

OP
OP
Paul Wilkins
May 14, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
Try double-sided tape and have a look on Youtube plenty of videos showing how to fit them.
Plenty of vids showing how to install a vent, none on how to install the seal.. unless I gave up looking too quickly.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Another top tip for fitting rubber seals is to get them good and warm before you start. Some I use a bucket of really hot water, but for seals that need gluing, place on a radiator or similar. It makes working with the rubber much easier being more flexible for setting corners and pushing into grooves

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Plenty of vids showing how to install a vent, none on how to install the seal.. unless I gave up looking too quickly.
Have a look at this blog it shows the install of a new Heki window but you can clearly see where the rubber seal needs to go.

Oct 12, 2018
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
Buerstner Travel Van
Exp
Not long enough!
There was an article on this very subject in MMM magazine a couple of issues ago. The author, who was fed up with the whistling noise, used a 1-2mm bead of silicon to hold the seal in. He also mentioned that some vents didn't have seals but didn't seem to investigate why.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
They are fitted with the wider section being up/down. Thin section is left/right
That is strange.... both my heki's are fitted with seal the other way.... in fact if fitted your way they will not fit in recess designed for them..
Unless of coarse if I have misunderstood your up and downs and left and rights.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
That is strange.... both my heki's are fitted with seal the other way.... in fact if fitted your way they will not fit in recess designed for them..
Unless of coarse if I have misunderstood your up and downs and left and rights.
I know I thought it was confusing :Eeek:
The thinner side section goes into the slot on all my new roof lights. Making them even looser and definitely needing glue to hold them in.
Otherwise mine wouldn't seal / squash against the lower frame surrounding.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back