Metal Bridge stop over on way to/ Scotland (1 Viewer)

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
I replied to a post on a f book page - someone asking about timings to drive to Scotland/stop over on the way and said we stayed at the Metal Bridge in this May-[ it was a bit noisy but very convenient. Did notice at the time that no one was checking numbers/asking if people had booked a meal as per the website agreement- got this reply from someone else on the forum
'all the rules at the Metal Bridge have changed. They were being taken advantage of by Freeloaders, so now only take advance bookings, have a limited number of spaces, and a minimum spend in the pub.On the night that the Scottish Border opened to those residing in England (following Covid-19 restrictions), they had 46 vans in their car park, only 3 used the pub. The rest didn't even bother to ask if they could park/stay there. Shameful behaviour'
Very sad- I am a fan of 'wild camping ' but cannot understand who could think this was acceptable behaviour .

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
We stayed there a couple of years ago, it was out of season and only 3 Vans were parked up for the night. We went into the pub for an excellent meal and the other two couples were also in there. Great food, good company and never heard a thing all night, that could have been the red wine though 😜

I do believe things have been expanded and improved since our visit. Highly recommend the food.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I replied to a post on a f book page - someone asking about timings to drive to Scotland/stop over on the way and said we stayed at the Metal Bridge in this May-[ it was a bit noisy but very convenient. Did notice at the time that no one was checking numbers/asking if people had booked a meal as per the website agreement- got this reply from someone else on the forum
'all the rules at the Metal Bridge have changed. They were being taken advantage of by Freeloaders, so now only take advance bookings, have a limited number of spaces, and a minimum spend in the pub.On the night that the Scottish Border opened to those residing in England (following Covid-19 restrictions), they had 46 vans in their car park, only 3 used the pub. The rest didn't even bother to ask if they could park/stay there. Shameful behaviour'
Very sad- I am a fan of 'wild camping ' but cannot understand who could think this was acceptable behaviour .
It’s shameful what the freeloader vans did, but I do feel the staff are missing a trick, I would have gone around with a clipboard and asked each van owner , what they wanted to order and what time did they want to eat as I need to stagger sittings, if not eating then £10. That would shame most of into coughing up one way or the other.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DJT

Jun 20, 2019
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Now Sold
Exp
There is a Lovely peaceful site just about 2.5 miles from the Gretna Junction on the M74 heading towards Longtown and the A7. Highgaitle Caravan park. The showers and toilets are a little dated but absolutely spotless . Electric and hard standings available otherwise pitch wherever on the grass park Which has acres of room and is kept immaculate.
Super friendly and helpful owners Barry and Steph.Nice quite site we have never found it expensive and have been many times over the years
10-15 minutes walk into local town for Super fish and chips 👍👍
Perfect stop over to break the journey North or South.

DJT

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2016
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I must have been one of those 3 and the van next door to use ate there too on next table . There were also a lot of Scottish people there who had come over the border so they could have a drink.

Last edited:

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
We tried to get in on a Friday night back in May, drove into the car park, saw the shear amount of van's already parked up and drove straight out, got out our britstops book and selected the next pub along the A69 (we were heading west) and found a little gem that was absolutely fantastic 👍

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Put yourself in the businesses shoes, why just close...when you can educate and tell em to ***off
the "sheds" are becoming quite popular.

its like the toilet block, how many people drop some money in there for the cleaners...NONE when I was there.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
I wonder if they will reduce the number of MH spaces when the cabins are ready as when all the spaces are occupied, there will be no vehicular access to them. Hope not. We have stayed there a couple of times and would certainly go back. Where else can you get a two course meal plus tea or coffee for 7.50?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back