Maybe just maybe (1 Viewer)

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
We are going to Lincoln to look at a new Motorhome. I swore that I wouldn’t get one any longer than our present Carthago at 7.4, but I would like to go back to a Mercedes, and most of them seem to be getting on or over 8m. The one we are looking at doesn’t have a roll out awning. We haven’t used ours very much, but then we are usually on Aires so not always possible.
If we don’t have a rollout what are the options please, other than an after fit.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
We have a 7.5m Chic c line. At time of purchase I had this put on at an extra. Have toured throughout France Spain in hot weather staying at Aires and small wild camping areas. Obviously in spaces like that its a No No to pull out the awning. Then when we have stayed on nice small sites on a few occasions yes its been handy. We then bought the Quest pop up awning. Now that is a game changer. Quick to pop up peg out and it under for the shade with an added bonus of great wind protection and keeps the flies away when having a lovely outside meal.

So I would say leave the roll out awning off for now and add that at a latter date if you then decide you miss it. Rollout awing £1500 Quset £150

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We don't have a roll out awning but have an awning rail (channel?) like they put on caravans which means we can use either use a drive away awning or a "day" awning if we wish - both take very little assembly / taking down. I'm sure we would also be able to buy (or even make) a canopy which would fit the rail (should we wish to do so).

Apr 27, 2015
iow
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
I didn't bother with an awning this time never used the last one instead I bought rectangular parosol from Aldi and a tripod for floodlights (Ebay) to hold it works really well and I big weight saving .

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We are going to Lincoln to look at a new Motorhome. I swore that I wouldn’t get one any longer than our present Carthago at 7.4, but I would like to go back to a Mercedes, and most of them seem to be getting on or over 8m.
Hymer do Merc based motorhomes at 7-7.5m. One opposite us right now.

OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Hymer do Merc based motorhomes at 7-7.5m. One opposite us right now.
We have ordered a Hymer on a Mercedes which is due in September, so hopefully it will be here by my birthday in November. We ended up buying from Southdowns. They are a long way away from us, but my sister lives in Kent so if any problems she will see more of us. The Carthago we went to see in Lincoln was lovely, but as well as being too long it had lots of expensive add ins that we would never use.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
My last motorhome was a 2015 Hymer Mercedes (auto) and my current one is a 2019 Carthago Fiat (comformatic). I prefer driving the Fiat.

OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
My last motorhome was a 2015 Hymer Mercedes (auto) and my current one is a 2019 Carthago Fiat (comformatic). I prefer driving the Fiat.
Why?
Hopefully with a 9speed automatic and full VB Air suspension it should be a good ride.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Why?
Hopefully with a 9speed automatic and full VB Air suspension it should be a good ride.
With a better auto and air suspension I am sure it will. As for why I find the Fiat quieter and has better straight line stability but this may be down to Alko chassis and Carthago’s build.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back