LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I am thinking of fitting a Maxxair fan to replace my existing Omni fan so 12v already there but I have read somewhere about them being very voltage sensitive ie no more than 12.6v.
Now our van has a lithium battery set up so regularly gets over that figure with the solar or B2B as max is 14.2v and float at 13.8v.
I know I have the option of fitting a 12-12v dc supply but everything else in the van works fine.
I have sent the suppliers an email about this but not yet had a reply.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
From Googling, the max is 13.8v interesting to read Maxxair reply
I understand the nominal voltage of the fan is 12V, but on many of the maxxair pages theres people saying that the actual 14+ volt output in RV electrical systems is not tolerated by maxxair products and only a max of 13.8V is officially supported? Is this true or not? Id really like to get away from the any of the Fantastic fan/Dometic products as Im not satisfied with the quality or design of any of them Ive had experience with. However if maxxair products cant handle the 14.2 to 14.4 volts that nearly every RV runs at while on shore power or with lithium batteries, then Im not going to waste my time and money on their products either.
asked by: David
Checkmark Icon
Helpful Expert Reply:
14.2-14.4 volts will not destroy the MaxxFan Deluxe Roof Vent w/ 12V Fan and ThermostatBroken Link Removed, however anything over 13.8v can cause the fan to shut down on the limit switch.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Steve your battery witi act as a regulator giving out 12v through your control panel so shouldnā€™t affect your fan - feel free to shoot me down in flames šŸ˜šŸ‘

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Can I ask what's wrong with an Omnifan?
Nothing major itā€™s working fine but will eventually fail as did the last one,
The main concern is the lid is only supported on one side this is a very poor design and when windy it may disappear šŸ˜® leaving me with a hole that is bound to be at the most inconvenient time.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Mine is running fine with Lithium now. Had problems when furst installed with it turning itself off. Tried a heavier gauge cable which didn't sort it. Maxfan sent a new control board which did, though was a PITA to fit.

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
Love my two Maxair fans. Most useful bits of kit in the van.

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
Ours also working fine on a Lithium setup, although we never connect to EHU so that's not been tested.

Personally believe they're good, but overpriced for what they do and still looking for a simple way of blacking out in the morning.

Cheers
Red

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
AFAIK when charging the voltage can be up to 14.5v - ours has been in for several years now without problems. Took the filter and fan off yesterday to clean them, just need a small (No.10) Star key.

We love it - replaced a virtually unused aircon unit which I sold for the cost of the Maxxfan.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Nothing major itā€™s working fine but will eventually fail as did the last one,
The main concern is the lid is only supported on one side this is a very poor design and when windy it may disappear šŸ˜® leaving me with a hole that is bound to be at the most inconvenient time.
They aren't very strong but so far I've had no problems (I've had 3). I prefer their fixing with no screw holes in the roof. If you intend to part with yours you have a potential purchaser here. I want another for my shower room. Incidentally performance is dramatically improved by removal of the external fly screen.

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
They aren't very strong but so far I've had no problems (I've had 3). I prefer their fixing with no screw holes in the roof. If you intend to part with yours you have a potential purchaser here. I want another for my shower room. Incidentally performance is dramatically improved by removal of the external fly screen.
Our last van had one and the board went on it and I think it was you or Richard and Ann sent me a link for a new speed controller šŸ‘

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 yearsā€¦.
Was at the Caravan Salon yesterday and the lady gave me a demo of the Maxxair fan, a lot better bit of kit than what I have fitted in my van.
When mine is in full it sounds like a jumbo taking off, was looking at swooping over and I now think itā€™s a good callšŸ˜šŸ˜

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Best piece of kit I've fitted...except the Lithium that powers it. Virtually every day....sometimes 24 hours...always sleep with it on...
There has been a recent post here or Campavan Electrics on Facebook that gives serial numbers to check if they are the latest models that are power tolerant

Last edited:
May 4, 2023
Funster No
MH
Just looking
I am thinking of fitting a Maxxair fan to replace my existing Omni fan so 12v already there but I have read somewhere about them being very voltage sensitive ie no more than 12.6v.
Now our van has a lithium battery set up so regularly gets over that figure with the solar or B2B as max is 14.2v and float at 13.8v.
I know I have the option of fitting a 12-12v dc supply but everything else in the van works fine.
I have sent the suppliers an email about this but not yet had a reply.
I had a fan with the faulty board which failed due to voltage being too high. The new fans and replacement boards have been updated as far as I can learn. Mine has been fine for over a week at up to 14.5V.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back