Mandatory hab check for Carthagos' next year warranty? (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I have just booked my C-Tourer in for it's first year water ingress test. I was told that it was mandatory to have a hab check done as well (for another £210!) to keep up the next years warranty. I thought that Carthagos had a two year warranty that didn't require a check at the first year. Or am I being taken for a ride?

Jan 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
We were told that only the water ingress check is mandated to keep the warranty. That is all we have and did get a warranty repair in year 2. Hope this helps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks. It was the service department that told me. Perhaps looking for some more pennies.

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
I think the hab warranty is shorter than the water ingress one, being 5 and 10 years respectively. I only get the water ingress one done now. I do sometimes wonder, with modern timber less construction methods, how hazardous even a bit of water ingress is. A bit like the furore about osmosis in GRP yachts about forty years ago. I never heard of one sinking because of it.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
We bought our C tourer in 2017, we were advised to take it in for a 3 month water ingress check (FOC) to get the special Carthago sticker put in the log book. Other Carthago owners on Fun seemingly didnt think, or were told by their dealers that it wasnt mandatory or needed, but we were asked by the dealership, plus advised at the time by The Carthago Owners club that yes, it was normal to get the van tested after 3 months on the road, and to get the sticker of proof put in the log book.
Funny isnt it how people, even dealerships read things differently, about the 3 month water ingress check, many would say quite rightly that its done at the 1st year hab check so why after 3 months, but we did as we were told as no cost to us.
We had 3 yearly hab checks, plus engine servicing for the 3 years built into the purchase price of our van as a "Special Offer" from our Fiat Professional/Carthago dealership, so very happy, saved us a few quid.
LES

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2023
South Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago E line 50 D
Exp
I have decided to have the dealer do the hab check and water leak test at a cost of circ £400, logic being they may pick something up that I haven’t noticed yet, and then they can repair under the two year warranty . Once this runs out, then I will take a view on the cost v benefit.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I don't know about Cathargo but Burstner it is definitely only the water ingress needs doing each year to maintain the 10 year warranty. I asked them directly and have it in writing. Hab and Fiat Warranties are only 2 years and didn't need checking/doing for the first 2 years.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Why is there such a variance in how much Carthago UK Dealers charge for a hab check? It must be model specific, ie, the more van costs, the more the hab check will cost.:unsure:
I hope everyone purchasing a new Carthago is made fully aware of the necessity to have these warranty checks done, along with how much they will cost.
That would cetainly be a deal breaker for me if the dealer didnt offer at least the 1st mandatory hab check FOC, especially with the quality reputation Carthago has, along with the quality prices now being asked.
LES

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Why is there such a variance in how much Carthago UK Dealers charge for a hab check? It must be model specific, ie, the more van costs, the more the hab check will cost.:unsure:
I hope everyone purchasing a new Carthago is made fully aware of the necessity to have these warranty checks done, along with how much they will cost.
That would cetainly be a deal breaker for me if the dealer didnt offer at least the 1st mandatory hab check FOC, especially with the quality reputation Carthago has, along with the quality prices now being asked.
LES
They still have their fair share of faults like any other make but in general a good build just pick a good dealer unlike US 🤣

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We bought our C tourer in 2017, we were advised to take it in for a 3 month water ingress check (FOC) to get the special Carthago sticker put in the log book. Other Carthago owners on Fun seemingly didnt think, or were told by their dealers that it wasnt mandatory or needed, but we were asked by the dealership, plus advised at the time by The Carthago Owners club that yes, it was normal to get the van tested after 3 months on the road, and to get the sticker of proof put in the log book.
Funny isnt it how people, even dealerships read things differently, about the 3 month water ingress check, many would say quite rightly that its done at the 1st year hab check so why after 3 months, but we did as we were told as no cost to us.
We had 3 yearly hab checks, plus engine servicing for the 3 years built into the purchase price of our van as a "Special Offer" from our Fiat Professional/Carthago dealership, so very happy, saved us a few quid.
LES

I laughed at the idea that a manufacturer, who builds what should be a watertight home with a 20 year+ life, says it needs an ingress check 3 months after leaving the factory having passed its quality control.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I laughed at the idea that a manufacturer, who builds what should be a watertight home with a 20 year+ life, says it needs an ingress check 3 months after leaving the factory having passed its quality control.
Yes, it doesn't make any sense does it, I asked our dealer if they had discovered any water ingress problems on arrival from Germany or at the 3 month "dealer dependent mandatory" test. The answer was no, we just chuck the hosepipe over them for longer with someone inside checking the rooflight seals, windows & doors.
Unlike some UK manufacturers who send out their stock relying on the dealership to do the PDI and find any problems before handover to client hopefully, major build probs see the vans returned to the factory, which used to happen all too often to new owners if you ever read the owner forums.
A few years back buying a particular make UK van was like rolling a dice to see if you were lucky enough to get a good one, but all too often they would arrive with even well known about problems, hence why we cancelled our order, move Swiftly on, & bought a German brand with a better reputation on build quality.
Doesn't matter which van you buy though, as they all tend to use the same boiler & kitchen appliances which can develop faults at any time, thats when we discovered that our dealership didnt have an in house Dometic Fridge/Freezer engineer, and used an independent one, who was booked up solid or months, but we were lucky and all was right in the end.
Its amassing how quick these things get fixed when you turn up at your dealers and say " well I shall leave the van with you until fixed, as its better here with you, than sitting unusable on our drive at home"(y)
LES

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Yes, it doesn't make any sense does it, I asked our dealer if they had discovered any water ingress problems on arrival from Germany or at the 3 month "dealer dependent mandatory" test. The answer was no, we just chuck the hosepipe over them for longer with someone inside checking the rooflight seals, windows & doors.
Unlike some UK manufacturers who send out their stock relying on the dealership to do the PDI and find any problems before handover to client hopefully, major build probs see the vans returned to the factory, which used to happen all too often to new owners if you ever read the owner forums.
A few years back buying a particular make UK van was like rolling a dice to see if you were lucky enough to get a good one, but all too often they would arrive with even well known about problems, hence why we cancelled our order, move Swiftly on, & bought a German brand with a better reputation on build quality.
Doesn't matter which van you buy though, as they all tend to use the same boiler & kitchen appliances which can develop faults at any time, thats when we discovered that our dealership didnt have an in house Dometic Fridge/Freezer engineer, and used an independent one, who was booked up solid or months, but we were lucky and all was right in the end.
Its amassing how quick these things get fixed when you turn up at your dealers and say " well I shall leave the van with you until fixed, as its better here with you, than sitting unusable on our drive at home"(y)
LES

".....move Swiftly on...."

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Carthago like most German manufacturers don't require a hab check for the warranty. Its a waste of time anyway they just turn things on and say they work them charge you loads of money. The hab warranty is only 2 years.

Over the last 15 years we have had 3 new Hymers never had a hab check and never had a problem with warranty claims.

The damp check how ever is needed to maintain the 10 year water ingress warranty.
They no longer do a water spay test, just a visual inspection now but still charge you around £120.

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
I have a carthago 3 years old now and have never taken it for a hab or water check
Not had any problems but are these warranty checks really worth the money £400 a year for putting a hose on the roof and checking appliances all work.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I have a carthago 3 years old now and have never taken it for a hab or water check
Not had any problems but are these warranty checks really worth the money £400 a year for putting a hose on the roof and checking appliances all work.
Your risk I know of one S plus that was transported back to the factor to sort out a water ingress problem at 9 years old. The owner had taken out the warranty extension to 10 years (10 years is standard now) and had the manual damp check done.

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
Your risk I know of one S plus that was transported back to the factor to sort out a water ingress problem at 9 years old. The owner had taken out the warranty extension to 10 years (10 years is standard now) and had the manual damp check done.
I will take the chance 10 years at £400+ = £4000+ fixing or replacing any windows or skylights or seals does not seem that hard to me.
I think I would have to be very unlucky on a modern Motorhome to have a water leak that can not be fixed locally.

Jan 30, 2021
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Escape 664
Exp
Since 2015
Why pay £400 for the annual check to see if was glued together properly when made
Oh the warrenty
So when it leaks they argue about wether it is covered by warranty and cause more stress and delay
The whole business stinks and the manufacturer needs a wake up call
I don't pay the check up money for a spotty apprentice to tick boxes for the manufacturer to wriggle out of their obligations
If mine leaks I fix it

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Not always possible depends on the nature of theak not easy if a sidewall needs replacing.
Well we have had two Carthago vans and their customer service is Shite even worse than Hymer,
So when your in a position to coment on it I will listen to your view, until then, you have little to no experience on the brand,
If you ever get one 🤣

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Not always possible depends on the nature of theak not easy if a sidewall needs replacing.
I thought they were aluminium inside and out surely even if there is a leak it shouldn’t do any damage, that’s the whole concept of the build design and marketing.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Damp check is only about £120.
Not for a Carthago it isn't, the last one we had done in 2021 cost £145 so I hate to think what the cost is now. We only had it's first year hab done as it was negotiated FOC when we bought it, second year we had the damp check only and since then haven't bothered as going all the way to the dealer for a squirt with a hosepipe to see if anything leaks is just daft in terms of time and cost (fuel and squirt test!).

Obviously it means we don't have a warranty now but we've never had any water ingress issues with any of the MHs we've had so it's a risk we're willing to take.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Not for a Carthago it isn't, the last one we had done in 2021 cost £145 so I hate to think what the cost is now. We only had it's first year hab done as it was negotiated FOC when we bought it, second year we had the damp check only and since then haven't bothered as going all the way to the dealer for a squirt with a hosepipe to see if anything leaks is just daft in terms of time and cost (fuel and squirt test!).

Obviously it means we don't have a warranty now but we've never had any water ingress issues with any of the MHs we've had so it's a risk we're willing to take.
That was the price my made paid last year. As I said it's just a visual inspection now.
We have Reliance 20 miles away although not dealers they are authorised Carthago repairers and do Carthago warranty work and Southdowns are less than 40 miles from us.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Well we have had two Carthago vans and their customer service is Shite even worse than Hymer,
So when your in a position to coment on it I will listen to your view, until then, you have little to no experience on the brand,
If you ever get one 🤣
More experanance than you think I have 3 good friends with them one being the man who started the UK owners club.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
I will take the chance 10 years at £400+ = £4000+ fixing or replacing any windows or skylights or seals does not seem that hard to me.
I think I would have to be very unlucky on a modern Motorhome to have a water leak that can not be fixed locally.
Thats ok so long as you keep it for 10 years but if you want to sell it before it may affect value.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
The damp check how ever is needed to maintain the 10 year water ingress warranty.
They no longer do a water spay test, just a visual inspection now but still charge you around £120.
Is that a non-UK cost for your water ingress test? Our Hymer had the annual water ingress test at Southdowns this week, it cost £240.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back