Making the best of motorhoming with children at school (1 Viewer)

mojomuddywulf

Free Member
Jan 17, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B694
Exp
since 2013
Hi there, so v new here and this is my 1st post.

We first began to use a motorhome late 2013 (Hymer B544) when James was 2 and Els was 5.

We have had four years of priceless memories and we want to do more if possible. In Oct 2017 we changed to a B694.

This Feb year we are taking the children out of school a few days either side of half term. This makes FEB half term a 2 week break and so we have time to ferry down Bilbao, Ski Pyrenees for a bit, take the bus down to Portugal.

We leave bus in Portugal , fly home.

I fly back out (advance party) for a week or two with other family and then mum/kids fly out to join me for the two weeks of easter. At the end of Easter school hols we head back to Northern Spain and ferry back. It basically means a couple of us manage nearly 6 weeks, children get to have a full 4 weeks away in warmer climates early Spring. In addition we endeavour to make the most of good UK weather, long weekends in the summer around other stuff that goes on. This spring plan seems like the best we can do whilst the young uns are at school.

Are there many members here who also have children in Primary / early secondary school and do you have any tips , suggestions or ways you manage to make the best of the motorhome travel opportunity?
kind regards
Andy Preston

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Wow, sounds like you have a good plan. Hats off to you.
You are giving your children a lifetime of happy family memories, but then I think you know that!

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Great plan for you all. Just make sure your insurance is happy about your van being left abroad without you being there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
mojomuddywulf

mojomuddywulf

Free Member
Jan 17, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B694
Exp
since 2013
We book the ferry to santander the day after they break up from school in the summer hols and return the day before they go back to school(y) Easter and other holidays we enjoy devon and cornwall..
ahh yes thank you , may do similar summer sessions

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Hi Andy
My lads are now 21 and 19 but we have been motorhoming since George was 8 and Harley was 6. We used to often take them out of school for various trips away but I understand that this has now been made more difficult. We often took them out from say Thursday and Friday for the following half term week picked them up from school in the motorhome on the Wednesday and then just drove to make as much of it as we could.
We often utilised the Feb half term week for Skiing trips and took them out for three days being such bad parents that we are. In the early days we would write to the school requesting time and giving some ideas of what we would be teaching them on their days off. Things like history and Geography as well as language learning abroad and never had problem. However in the later years we would often be threatened with fines etc so we taught them to be more "poorly" on those days. It would always annoy us as other than coming out of school for these extended holiday days they had a 100% attendance record.
Obviously the motorhome life never done them any harm as they have both tuned out to be compassionate caring intelligent young men. George is a serving Grenadier Guard shortly off to Afghanistan for 4 months and Harley is studying history and politics at university and hoping to go in to teaching, so all this fuss about a few days off doesn't seem to of done them any harm.

We met so many wonderful people (and some not so wonderful) on our adventures and I don't regret a moment of it.

enjoy it and make the most of it.

DSC01541.JPG
DSC04357.JPG
DSC04476.JPG
IMG_0283.JPG
DSC01541.JPG
DSC04357.JPG
DSC04476.JPG
IMG_0283.JPG
IMG_3942.JPG
IMG_3961.JPG
DSC01541.JPG
DSC04357.JPG
DSC04476.JPG
IMG_0283.JPG
IMG_3942.JPG
IMG_3961.JPG

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Sounds like you're doing better than me. I'm the restricting factor in our house - 25 days annual leave is a pain in the **** really, I'd happily earn a bit less and have more holiday, alas the business I work for does not entertain this - neither do the vast majority of others. It won't officially allow me more than 2 weeks off at a time, which is daft really, but my boss turns a blind eye to the 3 weeks I'll take in August - it's not really worth driving all the way to France for just 2 weeks I think.

The kids & my better half (who works in a school) get the 13 weeks of holiday a year. I wouldn't take the kids out of school for a break, that's plenty of opportunity to go away in the school holidays I think, but that's our choice and I'm not going to criticise anyone else for what they choose to do.

OP
OP
mojomuddywulf

mojomuddywulf

Free Member
Jan 17, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B694
Exp
since 2013
Hi Andy
My lads are now 21 and 19 but we have been motorhoming since George was 8 and Harley was 6. We used to often take them out of school for various trips away but I understand that this has now been made more difficult. We often took them out from say Thursday and Friday for the following half term week picked them up from school in the motorhome on the Wednesday and then just drove to make as much of it as we could.
We often utilised the Feb half term week for Skiing trips and took them out for three days being such bad parents that we are. In the early days we would write to the school requesting time and giving some ideas of what we would be teaching them on their days off. Things like history and Geography as well as language learning abroad and never had problem. However in the later years we would often be threatened with fines etc so we taught them to be more "poorly" on those days. It would always annoy us as other than coming out of school for these extended holiday days they had a 100% attendance record.
Obviously the motorhome life never done them any harm as they have both tuned out to be compassionate caring intelligent young men. George is a serving Grenadier Guard shortly off to Afghanistan for 4 months and Harley is studying history and politics at university and hoping to go in to teaching, so all this fuss about a few days off doesn't seem to of done them any harm.

We met so many wonderful people (and some not so wonderful) on our adventures and I don't regret a moment of it.

enjoy it and make the most of it.

View attachment 212406 View attachment 212408 View attachment 212409 View attachment 212410 View attachment 212406 View attachment 212408 View attachment 212409 View attachment 212410 View attachment 212411 View attachment 212412 View attachment 212406 View attachment 212408 View attachment 212409 View attachment 212410 View attachment 212411 View attachment 212412

Thank you. I have no qualms about the kids missing some school. Indeed, I don't think young children learn that much of what they need to equip themselves merely within the confines of school anyway. Great pics, memories skills and confidence for life, for sure . Els did a bit of a log of our feb half term run down, last year. She is v keen on the seafood in Portugal, can't wait to return. Broken Link Removed

cropped-els2000.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back