Low Rear Single Bed Motorhomes (1 Viewer)

Topher

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 25, 2014
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B668
Both myself and my wife have been interested in a motorhome for many years and considered buying one whilst we were both working. However, we decided against this as our work meant we had different days off during the week so our time together to enjoy a motorhome would have been limited to our holidays. Having a motorhome sat on the drive for most of the year did not make sense. Instead, we used our holidays to hire one which gave us the chance to try out different layouts, lengths, sizes, etc.

I retired in 2018 and my wife was due to retire in March 2020. Due to the way things are in the World at present she has decided to carry on till there is some sort of end in sight.

In the meantime, I am looking into buying our first motorhome. From our research, past hires, etc we like the low rear single bed. Pilote offers an option for high or low rear single beds and our preferred one at present is the Pilote G740 FGJ. The only other manufacturer that we have found that offers such an option is Fleurette Discover 74 LJG and Florium Winchester 74 LJG.

Our research has taken us to numerous shows in the UK and twice to the Caravan Salon in Dusseldorf. As well as to visit numerous dealers. To date, we have only found Pilote & Fleurette/ Florium that offers this layout. Does anyone know of any other manufacturer that we might have missed?

Thank you

Pilote G740 FGJ Low Rear Beds.png

OP
OP
T

Topher

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 25, 2014
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B668
Our 2011 Rapido 7065+ has them and I believe the current 665F is pretty much the same layout
Thanks for the reply.

Are your beds at the back or is your bathroom at the back? We are looking at the beds at the back.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We have the high beds but when we were looking we viewed a Deltheffs and Adria with the lower beds, we really like the Deltheffs but lack of garage due to lower beds put us off.

OP
OP
T

Topher

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 25, 2014
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B668
OP
OP
T

Topher

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 25, 2014
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B668
We have the high beds but when we were looking we viewed a Deltheffs and Adria with the lower beds, we really like the Deltheffs but lack of garage due to lower beds put us off.
I agree the higher beds give a better garage space. It wasn't until we hired a Pilote in France that we knew the low rear beds was our preferred route. It gives a nice open feeling inside and still offers a garage that would meet our needs.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Thanks for the reply.

Are your beds at the back or is your bathroom at the back? We are looking at the beds at the back.
The bathroom is at the back which allows a bigger bathroom arrangement but the compromise is garage space, although there's tonnes of storage space under the beds

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
we have an Adria Coral 670 SLT that has low single beds, which we choose as it has a full bathroom across the back behind the beds,

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
The Hymer MLT and EXIS series come with twin rear beds that can either be high or low
The Low version s not really that low, and you lose quite a bit of storage space if you take the option

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
The Hymer MLT and EXIS series come with twin rear beds that can either be high or low
The Low version s not really that low, and you lose quite a bit of storage space if you take the option

that is the only downside to our layout, no garage. although it does allow under floor wet storage at the rear of the van ( its lined and sealed with drains.

OP
OP
T

Topher

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 25, 2014
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B668
Thank you. I didn’t realise there was a low bed version of these.

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
Another option is a rear lounge van, which the back could be left as beds made up. We have a 6 berth for 2 off us, sometimes we leave the bed in the middle or back of the van made up.

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
AutoSleeper Burford duo

it’s what we have, and after a year I’m very pleased with it.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Autotrail Imala 734 has a dual low rear bed option and the ability to make it into a double, but I hesitate to recommend it due to some problems we have had, but of course they wont all have issues.

Jun 5, 2020
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2020
Hi Ian
ours is the Dethleffs Advantage which has twin fixed beds but with the low garage under the head of the bed. These can be made into a large, king sized double but in this configuration g
does restrict day time access to overhead lockers.
Have a good Burns Night
cheers
Colin

OP
OP
T

Topher

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 25, 2014
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B668
Autotrail Imala 734 has a dual low rear bed option and the ability to make it into a double, but I hesitate to recommend it due to some problems we have had, but of course they wont all have issues.
Thank you I will have a look at the Autotrail.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
We had a Chausson Allegro 96, 2008. Full width rear bathroom and low singles. Only under bed storage though

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Thank you. I didn’t realise there was a low bed version of these.
I've only ever seen one of the low(er) bed options at the NEC National Motorhome Show back in 2017 or 18, my guess is they would be as rare as hens teeth 2nd hand. As I'd have thought the majority of orders would be for the standard design with the high beds

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
We have a 2018 Imala 734. I didn't know you could make the singles into a double. Learn everyday eh.
One of the reasons we want to change is the wardrobe that separates the beds is very restrictive, so we sleep opposite way. Not ideal but more arm room.
We have had absolutely no issues with our 734. We want to upgrade.

OP
OP
T

Topher

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 25, 2014
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B668
We have a 2018 Imala 734. I didn't know you could make the singles into a double. Learn everyday eh.
One of the reasons we want to change is the wardrobe that separates the beds is very restrictive, so we sleep opposite way. Not ideal but more arm room.
We have had absolutely no issues with our 734. We want to upgrade.
Thank you for your comment. Our thought as soon as we looked at the layout was that the wardrobe position would be restrictive. I appreciate your feedback.

OP
OP
T

Topher

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 25, 2014
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B668
I've only ever seen one of the low(er) bed options at the NEC National Motorhome Show back in 2017 or 18, my guess is they would be as rare as hens teeth 2nd hand. As I'd have thought the majority of orders would be for the standard design with the high beds
I spent a full day in the Hymer Hall at Dusseldorf where I set foot in every vehicle they had there and don't recall seeing this option. Looking online it appears that the low bed is still quite high which is why I missed it. I appreciate you bringing it to my attention.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
We have a Burstner IXEO 720i which has low single beds and a rear bathroom. 7.4m in length.
we were concerned that this layout would really compromise us for storage, however there is a huge amount of storage under both beds, as well as a large wardrobe in the bathroom and further storage in rear locker where the toilet cassette resides.

Our previous Motorhome was an 8.1m Swift Kontiki with a garage and it had less storage space than we have now.
The only thing we cannot for in are our bikes, but we have a tow bar mounted bike rack for those.

Also love the quality of the Burstner

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
In my rather biased opinion I can recommend the Pilote, having owned a 700gj for 18 months we are extremely pleased with the build quality. The single bed layout works well and the mattress quality and comfort is superb. Best of luck in your search.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back