Local produce - online directory (1 Viewer)

May 14, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
Caravan owner moved on to Motorhome
I know we’re all tucked up out of harms way at the moment. But when we all get ‘out and about’ once again, it’s always good to be able to find local fresh produce. I put this website together back in 2017 but it didn’t get much interest. However, what with BREXIT and this virus, the interest in local small producers has grown. So pop in over to www.fromgatetoplate.co.uk and see what’s available near you. It’s totally FREE.

SteveJ

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 30, 2018
March, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 620
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for this, what I do find a bit disappointing is that where we are, surrounded by so much agricultural land, just how few farm shops etc there are these days. We used to have a good 10 or so shops/farms/stalls all selling local produce within 10 miles of where we used to live, virtually all of them have now gone.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Thanks for this, what I do find a bit disappointing is that where we are, surrounded by so much agricultural land, just how few farm shops etc there are these days. We used to have a good 10 or so shops/farms/stalls all selling local produce within 10 miles of where we used to live, virtually all of them have now gone.
We are much the same here in Wiltshire only one within ten miles?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Paul Wilkins
May 14, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
Hi SteveJ, To be clear, we don't add listings on behalf of local producers and farm shops. They have to register by themselves. So until they register, they wont appear. Of course, what we really need is lots of producers to register and getting the message to these producers is quite difficult. When we first launched they all said what a good idea it was, but they couldnt be bothered to register.

SteveJ

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 30, 2018
March, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 620
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Paul, I wasn't being critical, just saying that it is such a shame that there are so few around these days. I know of only 3 within a 15 to 20 mile journey from home, one of which is a decent sized farm shop that carries a good range of seasonal veg and meat from a few local farms, and we are literally surrounded by agricultural land. Where I used to live on the Kent coast we had 5 or 6 good farm shops within 10 miles, and an awful lot more if we were willing to travel a little further. And we also had a fish mongers selling from the local beach and at least 3 livestock farmers with their own farm butchers that I can remember. Our nearest farm shop expanded to include a bakery, butchers , fish mongers, craft shop and an exceptional café. The farm invested a lot of money into it, but when we were in the area last year we popped round to find it had shut down. Looks like the ease of going to the local supermarket overcame supporting of local producers and the far better quality available in the farm shops. A real shame. I will mention the website to our semi local farm shop, it would be good to see as many of the smaller producers on it as it works both ways, they will hopefully get more customers and when we eventually get the opportunity to get back out there we can find those local producers where we are.

OP
OP
Paul Wilkins
May 14, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
Hi Paul, I wasn't being critical, just saying that it is such a shame that there are so few around these days. I know of only 3 within a 15 to 20 mile journey from home, one of which is a decent sized farm shop that carries a good range of seasonal veg and meat from a few local farms, and we are literally surrounded by agricultural land. Where I used to live on the Kent coast we had 5 or 6 good farm shops within 10 miles, and an awful lot more if we were willing to travel a little further. And we also had a fish mongers selling from the local beach and at least 3 livestock farmers with their own farm butchers that I can remember. Our nearest farm shop expanded to include a bakery, butchers , fish mongers, craft shop and an exceptional café. The farm invested a lot of money into it, but when we were in the area last year we popped round to find it had shut down. Looks like the ease of going to the local supermarket overcame supporting of local producers and the far better quality available in the farm shops. A real shame. I will mention the website to our semi local farm shop, it would be good to see as many of the smaller producers on it as it works both ways, they will hopefully get more customers and when we eventually get the opportunity to get back out there we can find those local producers where we are.
No need to apologise, no offence taken. I just thought it was worth pointing it out. I think it was a problem with the original concept. Unless the suppliers played ball, the punters wouldn't see anything. Having said that we've around 300 producers on there. We'd love more and I think there is a lot more 'interest' in local produce now than there was three years ago. Fingers crossed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

Our nearest is 41 miles away :(

I would register as we have hens and often a surplus of eggs (especially this time of year) but can't guarantee the number of eggs available. We only have 6 hens now but used to have more when working as we had a market for them then.

OP
OP
Paul Wilkins
May 14, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
You could register, just pop a note on to say that you sometimes have limited supplies.. Big or Small we’re interested in everyone

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back