Living in our van temporarily whilst we look for another house (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
For Andy Davies

To keep your money safe look at NS&I (National Savings), their Income bonds allow you to put in up to a £1m and are government backed so should be safe. Check withdrawal notice period. Interest is negligible, but so it is with any easy access account, but it is safety you are after.

Hope this might help.

Geoff

OP
OP
AndyJJDavies
Sep 29, 2009
Heybrook Bay, Plymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
LeVoyageur 950 LVX
Exp
Always learning...
For Andy Davies

To keep your money safe look at NS&I (National Savings), their Income bonds allow you to put in up to a £1m and are government backed so should be safe. Check withdrawal notice period. Interest is negligible, but so it is with any easy access account, but it is safety you are after.

Hope this might help.

Geoff
Thanks Geoff, that's what we did when we sold the last property and will do the same this time. It would have been nice if the interest rate was a bit higher though :rolleyes::giggle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Following advice from Minxy Girl I converted TSB current accounts into Virgin Money accounts: 2.02% on £1000 in a current account and 0.5% on money in an instant-access savings account.

PLUS 15 bottles of wine: that might help to put a smile on your face whilst waiting for the house. :giggle:

Gordon

Non-alcoholic drinks are available as an alternative :rolleyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 6, 2013
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Exclusive
Exp
Since 2012
We can recommend this approach 😃 my wife and I did exactly that in late Aug 2017 in our MH ‘Hattie’. We were moving from Lancashire to Worcestershire to be nearer family since wife’s parents had both died or Alzheimer’s during the 3 previous years. Buying a home at long distance is a nightmare so on moving out day we moved to the CMC at Malvern which is next door to CCC site and moved every 3 or 4 weeks when our max stay threw us out. We wanted all the facilities of proper sites and much cheaper than renting. Furniture went into a good store nearby. originally we thought perhaps 3months but inevitably it took till end of Feb 18 and we moved our current home the day of ‘Beast from the East!’ Bit hairy down Uk country lanes in thick snowing. But got there and parked on drive - and 2 feet of snow landed within a few hours🥂....a week later the furniture arrived.😃
During the 6 months in MH we set up a cooking tent to keep ‘smells and smoke (😱)’ outside ! Nothing worse than last nights madras if stuck in in pouring rain following morning. Wet Winter days were the hardest. We like the sunshine too much. But ‘Hattie’ did a very comfortable job. We had a lot of fun. Some traumas. And some new friends.
One piece of advice is to take a small A4 printer, as buying a house generates a lot of documents you need to read. Small printer is a godsend in an MH which is pretty well stuffed out with things you can’t put Into store.
Only drawback is that when we finally moved in we didn’t go away in Hattie for another 6 months. However that passed and a couple of months at that time in Spain restored our enthusiasm 😃
House moving can be fun!! Enjoy and good luck.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back