Living in our van temporarily whilst we look for another house (1 Viewer)

Sep 29, 2009
Heybrook Bay, Plymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
LeVoyageur 950 LVX
Exp
Always learning...
Hi all, looking for some guidance.
It looks like we have sold our house in Somerset and will need to move by the end of March. We won't have another house to go to and rental properties in the part of Devon that we are looking to move to are very thin on the ground so we're thinking of putting our stuff into storage and living in the van for a few months on a campsite in the area whilst we look for a new home. I'm just trying to get a feel for how realistic this is (assuming restrictions stay the same as they are now) and also looking for any ideas about other options? TIA

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Sounds ideal to me. Storage and a campsite will always be cheaper than renting.

I have used a safe store type place before, secure and dry, heated and nothing went damp at all. Cost was about £150 a month for a garage size store.

OP
OP
AndyJJDavies
Sep 29, 2009
Funster No
MH
LeVoyageur 950 LVX
Exp
Always learning...
Thanks. I guess I'm a bit unsure about how this would be viewed with the current restrictions on unnecessary travel, staying in your local area etc. The other challenge I guess is if we can actually find a campsite that would allow us to do this.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I would view it as essential travel. That plus the fact I can see restrictions easing up before long.

You would be at bigger risk moving in and out of a rented property with all the people that come and go with that.

I would find a site before you take the plunge mind.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
your challenge will undoubtedly be finding a campsite.

there are a few members who are full time and come up with solutions perhaps they can help or contact the caravan club if you are a member.
good luck hope all goes well

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Investigate some suitable sites asap. I thought that the longest you could stay was 28days but obviously some have been on a pitch longer than this.

My son and his family have caravanned in our garden (probably illegally) since June: five of them in a 24 foot caravan plus awning. Recently he bought a diesel heater (less than £100) and it keeps the awning toasty warm. He has his washing machine and tumble drier in a wheelie bin storage shed, so that things are waterproof. They get their water from an outside tap and waste goes directly into one of my drains. They can use our downstairs wet-room but also empty their toilet down a manhole. The wheelie bin is full every week!

PLAN AHEAD - Gordon

(Good luck)

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Back in 2016 we were in a similar position. Had an 8 week tour whilst homeless. Had a great time. Just treat as an extended holiday. Alas not quite that relaxing as solicitor, surveyor, etc to deal with in the process of buying a new place.
Keep an eye on the storage charges, they soon get uncomfortable if delays in completing.

Good luck

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
We did this last year. Sold the house end of Feb and should of been moving into the new house end of April but then lockdown happened and we didn’t actually get in the new house until end of August.

Everything was in storage and we had been planning to travel round the country but had to move on to a site permanently. Everything worked out fine in the end.

I would look now to book on a site which will be open during any lockdown that has a laundry.

We were offered a monthly charge after the first week at a very fair rate too if they do that.

Good luck

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
As well as all the good advice being given here.

As a slight drift make sure your money is safe as your only covered upto 75k per institution.

Just a thought 😊

Good luck with your sale and finding a new home.
I panicked about this ( the way everything was going it wouldn’t of surprised me if my bank went bust:giggle:)

if the excess money if over the £75k but from a house sale, it is safe for 6 months

Jun 7, 2014
Cleethorpes
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
As well as all the good advice being given here.

As a slight drift make sure your money is safe as your only covered upto 75k per institution.

Just a thought 😊

Good luck with your sale and finding a new home.
The compensation limit was increased to £85,000 back in 2017.

Feb 16, 2020
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrott
Exp
We are full-timers and based on a site at Carnon Downs, Cornwall. It is a designated site for full timers like us in the SW regio by the CAMC. There is one for the SE, Midlands, NW etc.

I got in to trouble with a member on here for trying to help a previous member in need. However, if I can assist you, please just drop me a private message and I will gladly pass on your details to the site Warden who is fabulously accommodating.

Dave

OP
OP
AndyJJDavies
Sep 29, 2009
Funster No
MH
LeVoyageur 950 LVX
Exp
Always learning...
We are full-timers and based on a site at Carnon Downs, Cornwall. It is a designated site for full timers like us in the SW regio by the CAMC. There is one for the SE, Midlands, NW etc.

I got in to trouble with a member on here for trying to help a previous member in need. However, if I can assist you, please just drop me a private message and I will gladly pass on your details to the site Warden who is fabulously accommodating.

Dave
Thanks Dave, early days yet but I might take you up on that (y)

Dennydrifter

Free Member
Feb 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix

Dave
Hi Dave, we are currently looking for a full timers site in cornwall. We last lived in cornwall, and need somewhere to stay till we find a new home, which maybe for some months. How do i reply to you privately. Thx

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Isnt it £75k each? Or am i wrong?
Yes you are right - if a joint account it’s double the amount. Kybod has in his/post pointed out it has now increased to £85k per person. It does get a bit complicated so depending on your situation would google for confirmation - I do know you have to watch our for investing with different banks who actually are associated with each other so its only one secured lump sum

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Hi Dave, we are currently looking for a full timers site in cornwall. We last lived in cornwall, and need somewhere to stay till we find a new home, which maybe for some months. How do i reply to you privately. Thx
i dont think non paying memebrs can use the private messages?

Feb 16, 2020
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrott
Exp
i dont think non paying memebrs can use the private messages?
Hi Mitzimad, thanks for your post and info, I will post the private message I sent him on here so he can see it. Thanks and regards Dave.

Feb 16, 2020
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrott
Exp
Hi Denny, in light of Mitzimad's comment above, please see the PM I sent you last evening:

Hi Denny, you can contact the CAMC directly or alternatively, call / contact Simon (site warden) at the Carnon Downs Camping and Caravan site. Contact details below:

Tel: 01872 862283
email:info@carnon-downs-caravanpark.co.uk
www.carnon-downs-caravanpark.co.uk

Explain that you are full-timers and looking for a pitch. You can say that I gave you his details (we are on pitch 15) and suggested you contact him. This is a designated site for full timers in the SW.

Let me know if I can help further.

Good luck!

Dave

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
It looks like we have sold our house in Somerset and will need to move by the end of March. We won't have another house to go to and rental properties in the part of Devon that we are looking to move to are very thin on the ground so we're thinking of putting our stuff into storage and living in the van for a few months on a campsite in the area whilst we look for a new home. I'm just trying to get a feel for how realistic this is (assuming restrictions stay the same as they are now) and also looking for any ideas about other options? TIA
Sounds a reasonable plan, and its looking fairly likely that sites will be allowed to open in the next couple of months. However they are also likely to be fully booked and charging higher prices so maybe need to get onto that one sharpish before the gates open to everyone?

I would have a good think about what you re likely to use in your new house, We did the storage thing while we built a new house and ending up using hardly any of it as room sizes and decor are completely different. We had some ex pat friends who stored their furniture for over 20 years before returning to UK, most of it went straight in a skip, especially the draylon 3 piece suite.

OP
OP
AndyJJDavies
Sep 29, 2009
Funster No
MH
LeVoyageur 950 LVX
Exp
Always learning...
We did this last year. Sold the house end of Feb and should of been moving into the new house end of April but then lockdown happened and we didn’t actually get in the new house until end of August.

Everything was in storage and we had been planning to travel round the country but had to move on to a site permanently. Everything worked out fine in the end.

I would look now to book on a site which will be open during any lockdown that has a laundry.

We were offered a monthly charge after the first week at a very fair rate too if they do that.

Good luck
Thanks, that's encouraging. What did you do with regards to a postal/residential address for this short period?

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Thanks, that's encouraging. What did you do with regards to a postal/residential address for this short period?
We directed to my SIL’s address. She kept hold of the majority of post until we got to the new place but if looked urgent - NHS for example, she would open and ring us and would tell us or scan.

We were planning to only be in the motorhome for 7 week’s originally, not the final 25 weeks so didnt really set up anything else just used our old address or the expected new when certain. Lockdown and the solicitors really made everything unpredictable.

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Ps. Having done it - I think it’s a really good idea, i would go for it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back