Pjstingray
Jul 21, 2016
Kernow
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
New
You will definitely have to change the lights to satisfy the VCA. If your new van has the LED daytime running lights built into the units then the cost will be over 700 quid for the pair. I speak from experience as I imported a new one earlier this year.
I immediately put the original lhd ones back on as we only use the van on the continent so now have a pair of rhd ones for sale.

Hi Tony - I would have jumped at that but I didn't spec the LED running lights so only need the basic ones. LEDs are now as cheap to produce as bulbs so there is no reason for them to be expensive apart from hefty profit. I do have all LEDs on my bike including running lights, which has a minor advantage of not having to carry spare bulbs.

Maybe you could rent them out to others for VCA and turn a profit?

Anyone got some RHD standards for rent?

Jun 18, 2013
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666F
Exp
Since 2015
Can't find it on the shop4parts site, but are these new products?
The link takes you to a page showing the two types of light (with and without LED running lights) but I originally found them by using their menu system. You do have to ring up and pay over the 'phone, but delivery was quick and they are the genuine parts.

I've still got the RHD units on my Rapido but we'll swap them over for foreign travel.

Your Fiat price of £205 is about the same as the list price quoted on the shop4parts site of £170+VAT. At least you got a price from your Fiat dealer. Our local one didn't seem interested!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
With the X290 you can fit either type of headlamp LED on standard DRL bulbs but you will get a light on the dash with then incorrect ones fitted and it is not re-setable, this will get through an inspection for VCA.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Pjstingray
Jul 21, 2016
Kernow
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
New
With the X290 you can fit either type of headlamp LED on standard DRL bulbs but you will get a light on the dash with then incorrect ones fitted and it is not re-setable, this will get through an inspection for VCA.

Now this raises another question Lenny. I thought the X290 was model for next year with the Euro 6 engine and that mine might be an X270, but now on my CoC I find it is a Tipo (italian for type I guess) 250. I am confused - it doesn't bother me if I have an older tested engine as I didn't want the new untested one with parts so light and thin to meet regs, they can't possibly have the lifespan.

Tony M

Free Member
Jan 25, 2016
Barnstaple
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 1985
What you should have is an X290 euro 5. They changed from X250 a couple of years ago. I believe the euro 6 engines should come out towards the end of this year.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
Wot @Lenny HB said except that you will require a letter from your MOT garage affirming that the vehicle has been altered to match UK lighting requirements with regard to dipping of the headlights, position of rear foglight and the speedo is either dual or km/mph or has been converted to mph (the odometer can stay in km). VCA says specifically that beam benders are NOT acceptable. The wording is as follows :-

Garage evidence that the vehicle meets the United Kingdom national requirements (UK specification headlights, dual marked speedometer, suitable rear fog-light(s))

Original, detailed, garage statement:

This must come from a garage that is, at least, one of the following: an MOT test station / a VAT registered garage / a garage registered with Companies House.

The statement must be on full garage headed paper, giving their full contact details including their MOT test station number / VAT number and registered address / Companies House number and registered address.

It needs to quote the 17 digit vehicle chassis (VIN) number, be dated and make clear the garage has inspected the vehicle.

The garage details will be checked so please make sure that the garage evidence clearly sets out the address they are registered to. For example, in some cases a garage will have their business registered at another address for VAT, if this is the case their registered address must also be clearly stated on their headed paper.

The invoice must clearly describe the changes made to the vehicle; we need to know what has been changed and how this change meets UK compliance.

Where an item is fitted, as standard, suitable for the United Kingdom the garage evidence must make clear that the item is standard and how it is standard (e.g. the vehicle has rear-fog lights fitted as standard on both the rear left and right of the vehicle).

Please note that we do not accept an MOT certificate or photographs of the changes. To help prevent an application being delayed we would suggest that all garage evidence is written in English.

Garage statement should detail as follows:-

1. That the headlamps are UK specification (headlight beam dips to the left),
e.g.
because the original factory fitted headlights are, through a standard feature of the vehicle, adjustable so that the beam can be changed from right dipping to left dipping.

2. That the speedometer is capable of indicating speed in both miles per hour and kilometres per hour, simultaneously.
e.g.
The speedometer is marked up to the maximum speed of the vehicle, with graduations at 10mph, and with values at intervals of 20mph because a dual marked dial / facia has been added as a replacement to the factory fitted one

3. That a rear fog light is fitted to conform to United Kingdom specifications because
e.g.
dual rear-fog lights are fitted, one on the rear left and one on the rear right of the vehicle as a standard feature

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Pjstingray
Jul 21, 2016
Kernow
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
New
What you should have is an X290 euro 5. They changed from X250 a couple of years ago. I believe the euro 6 engines should come out towards the end of this year.

You are correct Tony - having looked at pics, mine is the one without the grills in the bonnet, hence an X290.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Now this raises another question Lenny. I thought the X290 was model for next year with the Euro 6 engine and that mine might be an X270, but now on my CoC I find it is a Tipo (italian for type I guess) 250. I am confused - it doesn't bother me if I have an older tested engine as I didn't want the new untested one with parts so light and thin to meet regs, they can't possibly have the lifespan.
The X250 has been produced in 3 emisson versions, Euro 4, Euro 5 & Euro 5+, my 2014 X250 is Eoro 5+. The current X290 is Euro 5+. The model numbers got straight from 250 to 290 never been a 270.

Wot @Lenny HB said except that you will require a letter from your MOT garage affirming that the vehicle has been altered to match UK lighting requirements with regard to dipping of the headlights,
That is why I said an inspection for the VCA.:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back