Leveling ramps. How often should I use them? (1 Viewer)

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
This last few weeks we have been In France we have noticed almost everybody uses their ramps every time they stop.
Even when they have only stoping for an hour or two or just for a drink .
I can almost understand it when are staying a day or two or overnight.
Plus
Very few campsites or Aires over here are never much less than flat - ever. But they just can't help trying to get them even flatter .

In ten years I have only felt the need to be bit flatter about six time's

What am I doing wrong?

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Iā€™d prefer to spend 5 minutes levelling my van, than I would spending 5 minutes of my holiday worried about why others are doing what they are doing with their vans.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
I guess we use ramps on about a third of the sites.
We have a smartphone app that tells us how level the van is.

Anything much over 1% is noticeable and causes minor issues like the sink/shower not draining properly, or items rolling off the table and kitchen counter.

It takes seconds to put them under a couple of wheels, so I don't see what the issue is.
Interesting.
Whats the App please?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Interesting.
Whats the App please?
YescapaLevel
Freebie app on iPhones

Just put your phone on the table (or other surface that 'should' be level
Point the phone forward
Fire up the app.
It will then tell you which wheel is out and by how much.
1% is noticeable, but probably would not bother most people
2% is where ramps are a good idea

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Only used our ramps 2/3 times since having the van. I try and park it on the flattest spot I can dont mind if its slightly down at the front so much as side to side.
Regular ramp users for the most part, must be ex tuggers I reckon, they feel the need to do something when they park up.:giggle:
Sometimes, I notice their van is actually worse left to right, after they try and level it, but keeps the wife happy I guess.:giggle:
LES

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp

sleeping with my feet higher than my head
Do you shy away from garlic and start to smoke in strong sunlight ā˜€ļø
4C86C604-7BDA-4A3D-B5EB-77E6820A30CC.jpeg

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
As a proud FLT, I rarely use them, just in case I have to depart in the early hours without the need to gather ramps in.

I do use them to work on the van (and car), front wheels up to change the oil and filter. Had the van on them only yesterday, as I needed to do some work on the exhaust, now that was a tight squeeze and impossible to get under comfortably without them.

Also used if I need to take a wheel off, or had a puncture, as getting up a ramp before jacking, really helps. Lower the van with the same method, so ramp ready, lower the jack onto the ramp, reverse off when complete šŸ‘šŸ»

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Had to use them at the Crick boat show, but then the field we park in starts flat and is quickly filled by the early birds and then starts to climb to around a 45* angle.

Thatā€˜d bugger your hydraulic ramps.

Upvote 0
Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Our van is nose down a bit so we have to level that up a bit . Donā€™t often use them on campsites or Aires as long as the kettle doesnā€™t slide I am happy. However at motocross they are the most important piece of kit we own. Itā€™s like parking in the bunkers on a golf course sometimes. :LOL:

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Rarely use ours as can usually be OK just by changing position or orientation. Only time we just them is if the front left corner is down, in which case the shower wont drain.

Upvote 0
Sep 13, 2016
Okehampton
Funster No
MH
Swift Mondial
Exp
Since 2016
Yesterday watched 3 vans try to drive away forgetting they were on ramps, lots of crunching soundsšŸ¤£

All iPhones come with pre-installed level app if you open the Measure app there is a tab for Level. If you lay the phone down it gives a ā€˜bubbleā€™ and if you hold it vertically it shows an horizon

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
If we are not fairly level side to side, our bathroom door can be a bit difficult to close and we have to close it with a ' bang'; almost forcing it shut., when we're level it closes easily - so there may be lots of very good reasons why people are levelling their motorhomes.

Upvote 0
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
So most of you think just as I do - it's all just too much trouble.
But over here no matter what the ground is like they must get out the ramps -- if only for an inch or two! - weird .
There is a French van parked across from me now on the same flat Aire.
He has two ramps on the right hand two wheels and further one on the left hand rear.

Iā€™d prefer to spend 5 minutes levelling my van, than I would spending 5 minutes of my holiday worried about why others are doing what they are doing with their vans.

Indeed. Live and let live instead of judging people on whats a perfectly acceptable thing to do for the many various reasons already mentioned.
Interesting.
Whats the App please?
This is the one I use (y) (y) (y)
71KUzz2SjUL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2021
Northampton, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Apache 700
Exp
Some....good & bad!
Well the perfect solution to anyone ramp/slope/rocking averse is just head over to the classifieds and buy my van!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back