MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Anyone got any reviews/experiences with this type of leisure battery please? At that price its worth buying two !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Looks like a pile of poo to me.

To start with it is actually 90a/h at the C20 rate.

And from their info:
"The battery is designed from a high CCA starter battery which gives it the ability to cope with the high current load. "

It's just a cheap starter battery with a different label not worth the lead its made from.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I don't know. Yes its a starter battery rebadged and only 90Ah, however for the price with 20% off its a bargain.
If like me you have an inverter and loads of solar, starter batteries make sense as they never deep cycle and are required to put out a high current for short periods.
Tayna are reputable.
If you read the blurb they are designed for a grid connected solar setup, ie a house, and although could be used as leisure batteries this is not what they're designed for.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thanks for the response. Have you ever considered a career in diplomacy? I think the UK is lookinf for someone with your obvious talents in the USA.... ::bigsmile:
Just giving an honest opinion after looking at the info on the battery, how can anyone expect to get a decent leisure battery for that price is beyond me.

I also responded quickly so Flamenca had a chance to cancel his order if he wants to.

The post was made to stop Funsters wasting their hard earned cash.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011

And from their info:
"The battery is designed from a high CCA starter battery which gives it the ability to cope with the high current load. "

It's just a cheap starter battery with a different label not worth the lead its made from.

All I can say is Brilliant. Yu can't shine shit

Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
It does make you wonder what the quality is like for that price.
I supply Platinum Leisure batteries and the best I can do is £85
image.jpg
image.jpg

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Im with Lenny HB its just Tayna flogging off stuff on eBay and I would not expect them to perform very well, I suppose they are pretty cheap though.

Martin

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Just giving an honest opinion after looking at the info on the battery, how can anyone expect to get a decent leisure battery for that price is beyond me.

I also responded quickly so Flamenca had a chance to cancel his order if he wants to.

The post was made to stop Funsters wasting their hard earned cash.

I thought your post was brilliant and straight to the point, hence my suggestion that there is a career out there for you in diplomacy … lol !!

OP
OP
LesW
Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Lots of interesting comments and opinions here, I thought Tayna was a reputable company, presumably the four year warranty is worthless too?

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Lots of interesting comments and opinions here, I thought Tayna was a reputable company, presumably the four year warranty is worthless too?

It would be if you have more than 8 wks holidays per year. Their quotes based on 1 cycle a day for average 3-8 wks per year ? So probably warranty is useless for a motorhome ?

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
I learnt an awful lot by reading about Allan Evans quest to end the misleading battery claims;-
and then did a bit of research by talking to a local NCC engineer.
Lenny, I have to agree with you, it only weighs 21kg so hasn't a lot of lead and given the known optimism of ratings I cannot believe it will last very well.
Most interesting will be to see if Tayna actually replace any as their website quotes a 4 year guarantee!

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007

And from their info:

Agreed, (and the C20 rate is quoted at 4.5 Amps and not 5). Just had a look at the spec. It's a sodding starter battery and I very much suspect a piece of Chinese junk at £60.00.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Most interesting will be to see if Tayna actually replace any as their website quotes a 4 year guarantee!
Leisure battery warranties are well known to be worse than useless and the problem is when an end user reads 4 year warranty he/she assumes all aspects of the battery are covered and adds his/her own interpretation to what ids covered and therefore it must be a good battery and a replacement will be forthcoming if a claim is made. No chance ! The very best you can expect if your claim is accepted is a partial refund with the aim of you spending more money on another battery with same supplier. Ask for the terms of warranty before you buy. You will be shocked! Terms like fair wear and tear are not covered. Also, the method they use to test a battery is almost certainly going to result in a pass as another condition is the battery must be fully charged before testing ???? and the test will be a cold cranking test because there is no national or international standard for a leisure battery, only a starter battery. I.M.O. no different to the NCC verified battery scheme. It's a con.

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
Leisure battery warranties are well known to be worse than useless and the problem is when an end user reads 4 year warranty he/she assumes all aspects of the battery are covered and adds his/her own interpretation to what ids covered and therefore it must be a good battery and a replacement will be forthcoming if a claim is made. No chance ! The very best you can expect if your claim is accepted is a partial refund with the aim of you spending more money on another battery with same supplier. Ask for the terms of warranty before you buy. You will be shocked! Terms like fair wear and tear are not covered. Also, the method they use to test a battery is almost certainly going to result in a pass as another condition is the battery must be fully charged before testing ???? and the test will be a cold cranking test because there is no national or international standard for a leisure battery, only a starter battery. I.M.O. no different to the NCC verified battery scheme. It's a con.
Agree completely, however if a manufacturer gives a definition of use as clear as in the blurb of this unit the consumer does have the upper hand if asserting use has followed the definition.
I successfully took Small Claims Court action against a supplier whose product didn't live up to claims. The judgement went in my favour for precisely that reason!
Jim's involvement with Allan's campaign showed just how laughable the NCC scheme is but the fact Allan achieved the relabelling actions showed the manufacturers (but only some) themselves acknowledged the untruths.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Agree completely, however if a manufacturer gives a definition of use as clear as in the blurb of this unit the consumer does have the upper hand if asserting use has followed the definition.
I successfully took Small Claims Court action against a supplier whose product didn't live up to claims. The judgement went in my favour for precisely that reason!
Jim's involvement with Allan's campaign showed just how laughable the NCC scheme is but the fact Allan achieved the relabelling actions showed the manufacturers (but only some) themselves acknowledged the untruths.

Well in this case , if you took 32 wks holiday in a year and on hookup every day- that is the lifetime of these batteries. Now try and prove you weren’t on holiday for so long a period (8 months) when you claim on the (claimed) 4 yr warranty on these batteries. ?

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Tayna Battery Warranty.

BATTERY WARRANTY INFORMATION
While all of our batteries come with warranty, this can vary from 12 months up to 5 years.
What's covered under the Warranty?
This is fairly simple - the warranty on your battery covers all faults caused by manufacturing workmanship or materials.
What's NOT covered under the Warranty?
The warranty does not cover the following:
  • Sulphation
  • Wear and Tear
  • Deep or Over Cycling
  • Overcharging
  • Physical Damage
  • Incorrect Application
Fault Diagnosis
All batteries once filled with electrolyte become active, and will slowly self-discharge. The higher the temperature that they are stored at, the higher this self discharge rate will be.
It is important that no battery is allowed to discharge to the point of sulphating (12.06v), or so that they are no longer able to start the car/bike/truck or operate the required equipment. To prevent this we recommend monthly voltage checks, especially on vehicles that are used infrequently, or stand by equipment.
Once a battery's voltage drops to 12.4v, we recommend that it is then recharged at a rate of around 10% of the battery’s capacity for 10 hours or until it has a voltage at rest of at least 12.65V.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Tayna Battery Warranty.

BATTERY WARRANTY INFORMATION
While all of our batteries come with warranty, this can vary from 12 months up to 5 years.
What's covered under the Warranty?
This is fairly simple - the warranty on your battery covers all faults caused by manufacturing workmanship or materials.
What's NOT covered under the Warranty?
The warranty does not cover the following:
  • Sulphation
  • Wear and Tear
  • Deep or Over Cycling
  • Overcharging
  • Physical Damage
  • Incorrect Application
Fault Diagnosis
All batteries once filled with electrolyte become active, and will slowly self-discharge. The higher the temperature that they are stored at, the higher this self discharge rate will be.
It is important that no battery is allowed to discharge to the point of sulphating (12.06v), or so that they are no longer able to start the car/bike/truck or operate the required equipment. To prevent this we recommend monthly voltage checks, especially on vehicles that are used infrequently, or stand by equipment.
Once a battery's voltage drops to 12.4v, we recommend that it is then recharged at a rate of around 10% of the battery’s capacity for 10 hours or until it has a voltage at rest of at least 12.65V.
So if you use it no warranty really ;)

Martin

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
I recently posted about leisure batteries and ended up buying an Exide low profile one, also from Tayna. Good advice from the forum community.
This weighed in at 29kg and is a 'true' leisure battery ,it cost £153
Only time will tell.

BTW, there are more holes in any battery warranty than there are in a colander.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I recently posted about leisure batteries and ended up buying an Exide low profile one, also from Tayna. Good advice from the forum community.
This weighed in at 29kg and is a 'true' leisure battery ,it cost £153
Only time will tell.

BTW, there are more holes in any battery warranty than there are in a colander.
I have just looked at Tayna low profile batteries and I note they have given this label to all standard height 190 mm leisure batteries ??? If it weighs 29 KG I suspect it is the same as mine. The ET650 Lead acid battery rated at 350 cycles @50% D.O.D. I've never seen it advertised as a low profile battery elsewhere. Tayna must know something nobody else does. ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back