LED? Legality Thereof.... (1 Viewer)

Papa Smurf

Sep 25, 2007
Funster No
Hi all.

Does anyone know with certainty if it is legal to replace Stop / indicator / fog light / marker light bulbs with LED's?

Couldn't find any statement on DVLA sites, and some retailers say no, some don't.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Papa
Just had a quick look at construction and use lighting regs, and all references are made to "lamps" giving no specific output, but there is clear reference to angles at witch the lamp must be seen from, I believe LEDs tend to disappear slightly when viewed from the side, I will stand corrected on that one.
However deep in my mind I think some lamps have specified wattages, how LEDs are rated or if they comply I don't know

Nothing in MoT regs to say no LEDs
Lamps are judged as they are presented if it lights its a lamp, simple lot aren't we:Wacko:
Geo

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
LED'S are far more reliable than filament types and, with the lens at the end, are viewable from a wider angle.

They are instantaneous in operation and do not dim in the same way over age.

IMHO they are a lot more visible than filament type and even new buses and cars are now being fitted with them as standard.

The advantage also is that they consume less power than filament types and are not prone to failure by sudden physical shock.:Eeek:

I am looking to replace all my running lights etc with led type for this reason.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back