Leaving MH on EHU (2 Viewers)

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We will be away for approx 3 months (not in the MH). The MH is parked on our drive and we could leave it on EHU for the whole 3 months, however we're wondering if this is a good idea or not. Any advice would be appreciated - pros and cons.
Thanks.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I don't see any reason why not , we leave ours plugged in all the time we aren't using it.
I suppose the main thing to consider is the battery charging. Ours has a smart charger and is ok if permanently connected. We also have the heating on low when it's cold.
If you aren't sure about the safety of it being "live" on its own, I suppose for peace of mind it's best to not have it connected and make sure it's fully winterised if you are doing it shortly
Allan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Personally, I wouldn't.. not for three months with no one there.. if something goes wrong who will deal with it.. ?

I would disconnect the batteries and store in the shed or garage.. fully charge them and they will last three months ..

Also check with your insurance .. are you covered when you are not at home ?

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
You could maybe ask a neighbour to plug it in for several hrs one day a week.

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
also remember that some mh will have auto drain on the hot water system so if it gets below 7/8c it will open

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We have a intelligent charger and the motorhome is left on EHU on the drive 24/7. Once all the batteries are fully charged its just takes a tiny amount of current.

Probably just enough to run the alarm system.

Three years now and no problems. (y)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I'm sure many of you leave them plugged in for weeks or even months at a time with NO problems..

but are any of you willing to guarantee 100% that the Dude's won't develop a fault that may cause a fire, even on a timer .. ?

Granted, it's a small risk .. but I'd rest much easier KNOWING it couldn't catch fire .. I've seen plenty electric kit that's ran for years with no problems decide to give up the ghost and go on fire..

It's all a matter of risk assessment..

Your assessment.. your risk

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Electrical stuff is a lot safer nowadays, assuming your van has an electrical safety certificate or a recent hab test, there should be no problems, although I agree it would be a good idea to get someone to look in now and again.
A lot of people still unplug everything at home when they go away.......except the fridge. We all trust the fridge don't we?
Allan

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hmm.. if all these safety devices are so good, I wonder why so many camper vans go on fire .. ?
Google camper van fires..

anyway.. each to their own.. it's good to see that there is so much faith in modern electrical kit.. in my not inconsiderable experience modern stuff is built to cost not quality.. and not nearly as good as it were 30 or more years ago.. it has built in redundancy..

as an example.. yesterday I bought a battery charger and a soldering iron from Aldi ..

the charger works.. the soldering iron doesn't, cold as ice .. so it will cost me more in petrol to get an exchange than it cost in the first place.. .. so much for buying cheap.. you get cheap, not good .. :rolleyes:

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
I've seen plenty electric kit that's ran for years with no problems decide to give up the ghost and go on fire..
Strange i have not seen one piece of electrical kit catch fire i am sure it happens but not plenty . Surely its the same risks wherever you plug in probably more so on a campsite as you are working more appliances

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
As ScotJimland says - "each to their own". One winter, I left ours plugged in, but not anymore. I offer the following two thoughts:
1. If you have a continental van equipped with an Elektrobloc then A&N who service and repair them in the UK recommend that you do not leave it plugged in for a very long time as this can lead to failure.
2. Even if everything else is fine, should you have a cell in a battery fail whilst the charger is connected, it is likely to gas. This happened to me with the original Exide gels. The van was plugged in on the drive and the CO alarm started going bonkers - they are sensitive to other gases too. The van was filled with foul-smelling Hydrogen Sulphide. Not a risk I would want to run if the van was unattended. Your batteries may be new and in perfect condition - but there is still a possibility of failure at some stage.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I would never argue with the guys who are posting very valid responses to your query, their knowledge has been invaluable to me. What I would say is perhaps the question might get a different answer from them if you were to say.... I'm leaving my van for three months how can I make sure the batteries etc stay in prime condition, is it a good idea to use a timer set for on/off every 24 hours etc if you get my drift.

From my own point of view, my van has been on permanent EHU for 12 years when not in use. I should point out that I have had two new electroblocs, damaged through my own stupidity and nothing to do with being on EHU, and have just replaced the original batteries which were 14 years old. These may well have been damaged by constant EHU but is a cost I can live with after 14 years. I have my van undercover so the Solar panels have little or no effect, whether or not this would make a difference I don't know. All other comments re fire,insurance,gassing etc are valid and as scotjimland says it is a matter of risk assessment.

So guys, what it the perfect/preferred solution when not using your van?

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
With all due respect.. Using Google results isn't a good way to prove something (try typing aliens land and see how many hits you get)
I've never seen a modern motorhome catch fire...
I don't believe there's any evidence that leaving a modern motorhome on EHU is dangerous in any way.
We certainly wouldn't be able to leave our heating on low in colder weather if we didn't..
Its a choice thing to isn't it.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Ask yourself why you would want to keep it on EHU......if its to keep the batteries charged....is there an altrnative way? If there is then that might give you the peace of mind your looking for.

Personally, if it was only to keep my batteries in shape, I would ask my family to monitor them and hook up once a fortnight at most.

Bear in mind some motorhomes can disconnect all power with the "red tag" on the ignition and on the switch on their sargent unit.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
With all due respect.. Using Google results isn't a good way to prove something (try typing aliens land and see how many hits you get)

with all due respect I didn't use Google to prove anything..

I have given my view which is based on sound electrical knowledge with nigh on 40 years experience as a maintenance electrician, and with 25 years + motorhome experience

The facts are.. despite fuses, MCBs and thermal links, Electrical equipment can and does go on fire. Batteries can develop faults, overcharge and explode, it may never happen to you or anyone you know but it does happen.. my advice still stands..

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Houses have electrical fires too.. But we don't switch them off at the mains when we go out do we.
My point is.. Its rare..And people have a choice. And that's also a fact. (and you did use Google)

:notworthy:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The simple answer is yes you can.

yes, you can, .. but doesn't address the OP's question "is a good idea or not and what are the pros and cons" .

The pros are, it keeps the battery topped up..
the cons are, there is a risk of a fault developing and causing a fire..

the risk is low,but the consequences are grave which for the purposes of a risk assessment, action should be taken to reduce or eliminate the fire risk.

my advice was eliminate the fire risk by removing the batteries and storing fully charged ..

Leaving any kit, be it a motorhome or whatever, plugged in and working unatended for three months when there are other options in my opinion is foolish..

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Ours will be going on EHU for the winter with a thermostatically controlled convector heater to keep her warm and dry. Done this for 6 years now without a problem. If you are worried about a fire starting what do you do when you are living in the van?

Rgds
Bill

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Ours will be going on EHU for the winter with a thermostatically controlled convector heater to keep her warm and dry. Done this for 6 years now without a problem. If you are worried about a fire starting what do you do when you are living in the van?

Rgds
Bill

No one is 'worried' Bill about living in the van with the EHU on.. .. the OP asked for advice.. he is leaving his van untended for three months..

When we are in living the van we are in a position to do something should a fault develop... How many on this forum have smelled hydrogen sulphide (rotten egg smell) from an over gassing battery ? I know I have .. on several occasions.. If you are not there to switch it off, it will continue to gas and may catch fire.. your choice.. your risk..

Also.. please check with your insurer about running a portable convector heater unattended.. Brian ( hilldweller) checked with his and they did not cover damage caused by portable heaters.. your choice and your risk..

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
The Schaudt chargers are not designed to be left on long term. I was told this from Schaudts Udo Lang

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Convector heater fully covered on my policy though fan heater is not.

Rgds
Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back