Latest HM Government on Spain Visas (1 Viewer)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There is a sentence in there which if correct is something unexpected:

"Visits to the within the previous 180 days before your date of travel will count against the 90-day limit. "

I had assumed if you visited for say 90 days then returned to the UK for 90 days you could then return for another 90 days. The sentence above suggests this is not correct and you have to be outside the Schengen area for 180 days before you can return for a stay of 90 days. I hope I am wrong on this interpretation. :(

Of course if we can get a visa for longer stays that will be fine but I haven't found much on how to apply and to who.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
There is a sentence in there which if correct is something unexpected:

"Visits to the within the previous 180 days before your date of travel will count against the 90-day limit. "

I had assumed if you visited for say 90 days then returned to the UK for 90 days you could then return for another 90 days. The sentence above suggests this is not correct and you have to be outside the Schengen area for 180 days before you can return for a stay of 90 days. I hope I am wrong on this interpretation. :(

Of course if we can get a visa for longer stays that will be fine but I haven't found much on how to apply and to who.

I assumed the same as your interpretation. From the new wording the rule would be 90/360 and not 90/180. I reckon HMG have got it wrong but best to check with a Schengen country government web site.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK
Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Doesn't that mean 90 days out then 270 days in. I am confused!

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
It appears to mean 90/180 days without a visa, bit if you wish to return within 180 days you will need a visa.
DP

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
It appears to mean 90/180 days without a visa, bit if you wish to return within 180 days you will need a visa.
DP

If UK leaves the EU we will all need a Schengen Visa to visit the EU. The actual wording from Brussels regarding maximum stay is:

A Schengen visa is an authorisation issued by a Schengen State with a view to:
  • transit through or an intended stay in the territory of the Schengen States of a duration of no more than 90 days in any 180 days period ("short stay visa"),
  • transit through the international transit areas of airports of the Schengen States ("airport transit visa").

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I've tried the official Schengen calculator for a less than 90 day Spring trip / gap of 90 days / then less than 90 day Autumn trip (allowing for the outbound and inbound days).

The results give me a negative answer - not permitted, or words to that effect. The 180 day period seems to be a moveable window although by all accounts it seems to be initiated on your first day of travel as a member of a third country.

I've given up trying to work it out - expect everything will become clear in the fullness of time.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Wagoneer Yes, the first date of your Autumn trip is probably less than 180 days after the start of your Spring trip. I have already started a spreadsheet to help me with planning to conform to Schengen rules, if it actually becomes necessary.

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
There's a Schengen Calculator here if it helps. Nobody has yet been able to explain it to me in words of one syllable, though, so I'd hesitate to offer advice. I've made it a lot easier by becoming French-resident... :giggle:

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
Up until now, as EU citizens we didn't need a Carte de Sejour but the B word has changed that, when and if it happens. If we leave without a deal the jumps will be set rather higher than now, in terms of income etc. It's not so much difficult but time-consuming and cost me a bit in document translation. Unfortunately the requirements are interpreted differently by each prefecture so no two demand the same docs. It's put a huge strain on the prefectures here with thousands of Brits putting an extra strain on their resources.
Depending on whether you're working here or, as I am, a State Pensioner, the requirements differ. You need to become fiscally resident, provide and prove evidence of address and proof of income and have some form of health cover. As a UK State Pensioner, it was fairly easy for me to get the health cover through the Carte Vitale (UK pays any charges up to the level the French are reimbursed) and my income exceeds the minimum requirement. I've also owned a house here since 2004.

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
Can anyone really see the likes of Italy, France and Spain stopping the Brits from staying longer than 90 days.

I can visit N Z for six months without a problem.

Storm in a tea cup being stirred up again ?

Yes, once the ETIAS system is introduced next year. When you enter or leave the Schengen area, your passport will be scanned and the entry/exit date recorded. If you've exceeded the 90 days allowed without a visa, you'll risk a fine of €300-€1200 and the possibility of being barred from entry for up to 5 years, I believe.

Up until now, the individual countries have interpreted the requirements as they think fit, ie, France has been more relaxed about the 90 day residency rule than Spain. Once the ETIAS system is Area-wide, it will be a case of 'The computer says no...':worried:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I assumed the same as your interpretation. From the new wording the rule would be 90/360 and not 90/180. I reckon HMG have got it wrong but best to check with a Schengen country government web site.
Having had another think about this I think our original interpretation is correct, it's the wording of the sentence which added confusion.

Let's assume all months have 30 days for convenience. :)

Scenario 1. Spend Mar, Apr and May in Schengin then Jun, Jul and Aug in the UK. Returning in September to Schengin shouldn't be a problem as you've only got 90 days on your record. Every day in September you remain in Schengin adds another day but one drops off at the beginning because it is a rolling 180 day count so the total still remains at 90 days in the previous 180 days.

Scenario 2. Spend Apr, May and Jun in Schengin then Jul and Aug only in the UK. Returning in September to Schengin is now a problem because each day you stay exceeds your 90 limit as the 180 day timeframe stretches back to March and so nothing drops off at the start as it did in Scenario 1. So if you stayed until the end of September you would have accrued 120 days in the previous 180.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Can anyone really see the likes of Italy, France and Spain stopping the Brits from staying longer than 90 days.

I can visit N Z for six months without a problem.

Storm in a tea cup being stirred up again ?
I've met aussies and yanks limited to 90 days. It's an EU/Schengin rule. Other countries like NZ make their own rules.

The issue is how easy or otherwise is it going to be to get a visa to stay longer than 90 days.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Yes, once the ETIAS system is introduced next year. When you enter or leave the Schengen area, your passport will be scanned and the entry/exit date recorded. If you've exceeded the 90 days allowed without a visa, you'll risk a fine of €300-€1200 and the possibility of being barred from entry for up to 5 years, I believe.

Up until now, the individual countries have interpreted the requirements as they think fit, ie, France has been more relaxed about the 90 day residency rule than Spain. Once the ETIAS system is Area-wide, it will be a case of 'The computer says no...':worried:

Just get a visa then ?

That won’t be too tricky or expensive.
All done online as well.

In fact most Countries you get a visa for you don’t pay anything.

Again storm in a tea cup ?

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I've met aussies and yanks limited to 90 days. It's an EU/Schengin rule. Other countries like NZ make their own rules.

The issue is how easy or otherwise is it going to be to get a visa to stay longer than 90 days.

If it starts affecting their economy the rules will soon be adjusted to suit.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Procedure here - good luck with that...! :oops:
I've seen that before and it is very clear it is only for 90 days maximum and it even says, though you can apply for an extension, the chances of getting one are "very low".

Although on this page it does say that though it is very hard to get an extension it isn't impossible if you have a good enough reason.

Is wanting to spend the winter in Benidorm a good reason? No doubt we shall find out when someone tries. :)

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
I've seen that before and it is very clear it is only for 90 days maximum and it even says, though you can apply for an extension, the chances of getting one are "very low".

Although on this page it does say that though it is very hard to get an extension it isn't impossible if you have a good enough reason.

Is wanting to spend the winter in Benidorm a good reason? No doubt we shall find out when someone tries. :)

It seems there will be a plan for a visa waiver scheme for UK citizens. From a BBC web page:

However, British people will need to apply for - and buy - a visa waiver to travel to member states after Brexit whether there's a deal or not.

The ETIAS (European Travel Information and Authorisation System), which will cost €7 (£6.30) and be valid for three years, won't come into force until 2021 though. It's not just for the UK but many non-EU countries.

In a no-deal situation, the European Commission has proposed that you won't need a visa for short stays in the EU. Visitors would be able to stay for up to 90 days out of any 180-day period, the government has said. You might need a visa before travel if you intend to stay in the Schengen area for more than 90 days though out of that 180-day period.

That'll take care of most UK tourists, of course, but anyone planning to over-winter in Spain or Portugal might find it a lot more difficult.

B***** - the gift that keeps on giving.....:D

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Looks like less time and less money spent in Schengen countries then and a boom for Romania , Croatia , Bulgaria and Morocco

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
You could drive through France or ferry to Spain then the time in eu would be reduced and ferry to Morocco.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
As already said if anyone wants to stay longer than the 90 days then they just get a visa, what is difficult about that?

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
As already said if anyone wants to stay longer than the 90 days then they just get a visa, what is difficult about that?

It’s difficult for people who want to make it difficult ?

Visa for a max cost of £7 for three years.
Oh Please! how much easier could it be.

You might even get that refunded in the first bar you go into in Spain funded by the Government ?

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
It’s difficult for people who want to make it difficult ?

Visa for a max cost of £7 for three years.
Oh Please! how much easier could it be.

You might even get that refunded in the first bar you go into in Spain funded by the Government ?

See my post further up the page. As it stands at present, the €7 visa-waiver will be for trips up to 90 days - you might even need one for a booze cruise :giggler: - anything over 90 days will require a full visa, as far as I can see.

I blame the utter incompetence and inadequacy of the UK govt - they couldn't organise a p-u on a booze cruise at present and, as for keeping their population informed as to what the hell they've got in store for us - well, I give up....:swear:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back