Last door locked? (1 Viewer)

Mar 23, 2017
Chudleigh, Devon
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 2
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi all, I'm looking at security on my motorhome.

It's a 51 plate Compass so I don't think it is a target for theft. We have ways and means of securing doors and windows when we are inside it. When parked at home I remove the steering wheel.

My main concern is having it broken into when left unattended in a car park/laybay when we go for a walk site seeing etc. (Spain/France) There will be nothing of any significant value left inside, but I'd rather not come back to van with a broken door/window etc.

An alarm might scare someone off (eventually) but they've already broken in.

Having worked through all permutations/scenarios, it always leaves me with the 'last door locked' problem. You can do all sorts to prevent doors/windows being opened, but you still have to go out of a door and lock it from the outside

Which leads me back to an additional habitation door lock. I know some have said these are not robust enough to prevent a determined thief, and in attempting to break in the thief will do lots of damage to the door (which will cost more than the value of anything inside worth nicking). But maybe its presence will deter/slow down a thief that just wants to nick some cash and a camera? (neither of which would have been left inside anyway!).

Or, would additional locks on the driver/passenger door be best?

I'm interested how others have dealt with the last door locked conundrum?

Brendan

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi all, I'm looking at security on my motorhome.

It's a 51 plate Compass so I don't think it is a target for theft. We have ways and means of securing doors and windows when we are inside it. When parked at home I remove the steering wheel.

My main concern is having it broken into when left unattended in a car park/laybay when we go for a walk site seeing etc. (Spain/France) There will be nothing of any significant value left inside, but I'd rather not come back to van with a broken door/window etc.

An alarm might scare someone off (eventually) but they've already broken in.

Having worked through all permutations/scenarios, it always leaves me with the 'last door locked' problem. You can do all sorts to prevent doors/windows being opened, but you still have to go out of a door and lock it from the outside

Which leads me back to an additional habitation door lock. I know some have said these are not robust enough to prevent a determined thief, and in attempting to break in the thief will do lots of damage to the door (which will cost more than the value of anything inside worth nicking). But maybe its presence will deter/slow down a thief that just wants to nick some cash and a camera? (neither of which would have been left inside anyway!).

Or, would additional locks on the driver/passenger door be best?

I'm interested how others have dealt with the last door locked conundrum?

Brendan

an alarm with external flashing led lights would be an effective deterrent

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
If they want to get in....they will.
You want them to do as little damage as possible.
Two options:
1. Leave nothing of value in the van,and leave the doors unlocked. (Yes,I am serious)
2. Fit as many visible deterrents as you can...

Steering wheel lock.
Foot pedal lock.
Wheel clamp.
Dog bowl.
Han door external lock
Window locks.
Etc

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The best thing you can do is be aware of the area you are parking in if it doesn't look safe don't stop.

Be wary of the Fiamma hab door locks that act as a handle and fold across the door, a friend was broken into had one of those. They give a nice bit of leverage to get the door open that results in a lot of damage. In his case £20 worth of stuff stolen, £3000 damage to the van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
Don’t dismiss alarms so quickly ... I don’t believe most thieves on seeing a decent alarm is fitted to a van, will think what the hell, let’s have a go anyway?

They’ll look for an easier target to start with. Trying to physically prevent them getting in is likely to lead to more damage. Just my view but it’s been discussed at length - be worth a search through the history ...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back