LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
While waiting on my motorhome to be delivered I've started looking at which bike or scooter will fit in the garage. I'd like something bigger than a 125cc (so I can use it to commute to work) and decent luggage space for food, wine, beer, etc. I was looking at 300cc scooters but can't find one short enough. The garage is 118 cm high with a door height of 114 so with ramp angle I'm looking for something less than 114 and a bit...

I have found that a Honda nc750s which (has a false petrol tank with enough space to take a full face helmet) will fit so currently that is top of my list. With a top box fitted it should be enough to park any bike gear while we walk around and return whatever we buy back to the motorhome. I should have mentioned that the motorhome is a Carthago compact line with a 4.2 gvwr and the garage has a limit of 350kg so height rather than weight is the limiting factor.

I've looked at most (I think) of the main manufactures and can't find anything over 125cc that will fit so any ideas? I don't want to tow a trailer (which I have) or fit a scooter rack.

For those interested in bikes I currently have a BMW S1000R, Honda Fireblade and a Honda VFR1200 so running around on a 125cc two up does not really appeal.

Allan

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Allan, your best friend will be a weighbridge, the 350kg is the limit for the garage floor BUT you have to keep the rear axle weight in limits too. My Hymer has GVW 4250, rear axle 2400kg so no problem? With 125 Sym ( 110kg) in garage the rear axle was 2450kg, we moved some weight forward but it was a bit of a shock, so suggest you get van on weighbridge before getting the right bike.
ps if you find a 200cc at 110kg please tell me first...

Voyger1010

Free Member
Oct 25, 2013
UK
Funster No
Hi Allan, have a look at the Honda sh300i Length is 210 width 73 ht 122cm , but don't forget you can compress front and back suspension by around the 4 inches, which is apparently how they all get them in the garages. and have the removable top box and screen.
We had one until other half couldn't get her leg over (due to rheumatoid before you ask), But we had ours on a transverse trailer from Armitage which I found very easy to tow, didn't know it was there. ( only 5ft long from tow-ball, great for ferry fares). Weight was 161kg which is quite light, and the bike would do around 100 tops but with both of us up easily do 70mph and drove like a motorbike not a scooter due to the larger wheels. Anyway hope it helps , safe riding
Brian J

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Allan, your best friend will be a weighbridge, the 350kg is the limit for the garage floor BUT you have to keep the rear axle weight in limits too..

And there is a gotcha there too. Assume you have 200kg to spare on the rear axle, it will not take a 200kg bike, because the bike will be behind the axle so some leverage is involved.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We have a Honda PCX 125 and find it's great 2 up. Do you really need to do 100mph while you're on holiday? PCX does about 65 with 2 up but don't bother when on holiday, we just pootle about.

Joe

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
We have a Honda PCX 125 and find it's great 2 up. Do you really need to do 100mph while you're on holiday? PCX does about 65 with 2 up but don't bother when on holiday, we just pootle about.

Joe

we also use a pcx 125 no problems ,two up pulls well, fits the garage of the rapido and even with the huge rear axle overhang and comes in ok on the weighbridge(y) Used to tow my Harley but so much easier touring without trailer

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Our garage is about the same size as your and we get an aprilia sportcity 300cc in. We have to remove the mirrors and the small screen/bezel thing- takes maybe 30 seconds.

Its great because its got a reasonable amount of speed (for a scooter), 16 inch wheels, telescopic forks and 3 disc brakes oh and it looks great in Aprilia racing colours. downside is cant get helmet under seat.

I think the 300 vespa is also quite short but a bit wider and a lot more expensive.

Jon

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Forgot to add.

Im was concerned about the weight on the back axle - but the vehicle drives fine dont really know you've got it in there. and - touchwood - in 10 years of Motorhoming and a lot of miles............no Im not going to say it................ yes I am - Ive never been pulled in for a weigh.

OP
OP
awg

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks everyone for your comments. I'll wait until the motorhome is delivered before buying anything and I'll put either the S1000R or Fireblade in the garage and get it weighted. As one of the main selling points is the 350kg garage load on the 3.5 ton I'll be very peed off if it won't take near that with the 4.2ton upgrade.

I'll also have a look at the Aprilia.

Allan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back