Lake District Hardknott Pass (1 Viewer)

Sep 12, 2011
london
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Try it a 2 pm on an August afternoon.The clue is in North to South routing once you over the top it's easy it the first bit before the summit with cyclists ,trucks and coaches its a nightmare. Have you actually driven the route ? if you have then you will know what I am trying to say.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
I have been over this pass several times in my life, both in a car and on bikes, I might be thinking of somewhere else but isn’t there some signed restrictions on vehicles that can use the road ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I have been over this pass several times in my life, both in a car and on bikes, I might be thinking of somewhere else but isn’t there some signed restrictions on vehicles that can use the road ?

"Suitable for cars and light vehicles only". No actual prohibition, just a recommendation. There isn't even a definition of light vehicles (i.e. 3.5 or 7.5 tonne). It doesn't even ban towing, although I would draw the line there myself.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
A couple of years ago we camped at CCC Keswick for Easter. We caught the bus up to Honister and was glad we weren't in the van, with the narrow roads and unforgiving road-side edging.

Right up at Honister a BMW driver decided that she couldn't wait for the bus to unload and load, so she "squeezed" past. Unfortunately she wasn't able to judge the position of her driver-side mirror correctly and made a longish groove in the side of our vehicle: then she drove on without stopping. I was doubly glad not to be in the van.

I would avoid those roads as much as possible!

Gordon

Dagraton

Free Member
Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
C class
I live in Kendal and have driven over Wrynose and Hard Knott many times - in a car. I have a 7.5 metre motorhome and I avoid these two passes. It would certainly be possible and maybe desirable if you want the views, the experience etc but for me, it's not worth the hassle. Some folk go on about the steepness and tight corners of the Bealach na Ba leading to Applecross but from my experience, Hard Knott is more severe.

Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
I currently live in Boot, if you want to attempt then this all depends on your driving ability, the passes do not have high walls but DO have sharp stones on the corners that shred tyres, the local recovery garage in the summer months comes up the valley everyday for mostly incompetent drivers who don’t know the rules of driving these passes. Either side of the passes have high dry stone walls with large base stones, the wary drivers can’t bear to be near these and the amount of close calls I’ve had with mr tourist who won’t move over due to them not being able to judge their cars width is unbelievable (it’s increased tenfold this year)
We have sims coaches, 52 seaters just over the road from us and they move out early doors to escape the traffic jams, beware the timber wagons that are hauling out of muncaster currently, they don’t stop for anyone, mountain goat do come over from Ambleside, experienced drivers.
Depending where your coming from I’d head towards the duddon valley and come over Birker fell just as good views and less likely to wreck your clutch/breaks or tyres👍 Still comes into Eskdale. Remember to let us locals past though, wish we could have the same signs they have up in Scotland saying please let quicker vehicles past, the tourist traffic this year have been oblivious to the 15 cars behind or the quicker vehicle trying to get past. Best part of the lakes though as quieter than the usual tourist traps.

Ukbandit

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 8, 2014
Barnsley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2012
I've been over once or twice in the car, but not in the van.

Have taken the van - fully loaded - over Austria's highest pass - Grossglockner High Alpine Road - 8250 feet above sea level. And it was fine

But I don't think I'd take it over Hard Knott.
Yes Grossglockner is a motorway compared to the very narrow Hardknott, done it motorbike many times and even seen bikers I’ve taken there turn round to avoid it.

Sep 2, 2020
Ladybarn, Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
I've driven mini buses over it several times, and cycled over it many times. The main issue you might come across is drivers descending towards you not giving way and forcing you to stop where you might not chooses to. Hill starts on the steep sections can be challenging.
Just block the road and make 'em reverse

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Yes Grossglockner is a motorway compared to the very narrow Hardknott, done it motorbike many times and even seen bikers I’ve taken there turn round to avoid it.
Grossglockner easy peasy in good weather. Heavy mist/cloud is a bit scary especially when you go through those little tunnels. s--t me sen.
Stelvio as above without the tunnels.
Rather do the above in winter than 10 miles on the M25.

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Years ago, when mechanicals were less refined than now, Hardknott Pass had the nickname "The Clutchbuster" because many vehicles could not cope with the long climb upwards and it would literally be the death of them. Even the best vehicle shad to stop at the top after overheating. My old Commer Caravanette JUST made it in first gear. Nowadays, no problem for any modern vehicle.

Jan 9, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Did it years ago in a Hillman Avenger. I clearly remember the tyres scrabbling at the steepest section, and not being able to see the road over the bonnet at the crest. The brakes started to fade on the way down.
I think in winter with any chance of snow or ice it is closed, it would be mad to attempt it then.

Dec 5, 2014
Jersey
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RD
Exp
Since 2013. 20+ years caravanning before the MH
I've been over once or twice in the car, but not in the van.

Have taken the van - fully loaded - over Austria's highest pass - Grossglockner High Alpine Road - 8250 feet above sea level. And it was fine

But I don't think I'd take it over Hard Knott.
The road over the Grossglockner is like a motorway compared to Lake District passes

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
The road over the Grossglockner is like a motorway compared to Lake District passes
Indeed, but Grossglockner still represents a serious climb for a fully loaded van with a comfortmatic gearbox.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
About 10yrs ago, I did it, in my T25 VW, FROM Ravenglass direction, NEVER again. From the other direction....maybe?
It all depends on how much you appreciate your MH clutch, if you don't mind destroying it, give it a go.

Personally, now I have a 3.5ton PVC (that travels at 3.45tons MOST of the time UNLIKE the white vans and minibuses that have been spoken about) I would.avoid it like the plague!

PS. My full size coaches, back in the 80's, used to drive up the Grossglockner every fortnight for 3 years (winter and summer). There is no comparison, this Austrian route is especially converted and maintained for heavy vehicles and will never present a problem for experienced drivers (if it is dangerous, they close it)

Hope this helps!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back