Key Cutting (1 Viewer)

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
So my wife and I went our local Tescos this afternoon and they conveniently have a Timpsons Key cutting caravan at the entrance. So I give my wife key that opens both front doors and also acts as the ignition key too and off she goes. Comes back and says it'll take 30 to 35 minutes as it has to be programmed. So we decide that'll give us time to do some shopping while the key is produced.

My wife hands me the key back and I go into the Timpson's caravan and the guy takes the key and finds the required blank, cutting takes less than a minute and he hands the key back saying that I should try the doors first before using it in the ignition - if it doesn't work in the doors I'm to take the key back and he'll cut a replacement.

£70 please!!!! There was no programming unless it happens by magic and I'm feeling a little 'ripped off' as I could have purchased a 'one way' flight to Spain's Costas for that!!!

I've NEVER paid £70 for a key before!

Not had time to try it yet.

Last edited:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Only thing is we don’t know how much that they have to pay for the blanks to start with. I have no idea if they can only be brought from the main dealer etc

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
StitchUp
Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
My way of thinking and I have zero experience in these matters is that if it had a transponder chip in the key, it would need to be programmed to be able to start the engine - there was no programming! I have written to Timpsons but won't receive a reply for a few days.

The key I had made IS a starter key and opens both front doors.

Deleted User
They quoted me £50 for a duplicate front door house key as it was a special security type. Another local key cutter charged me £3.50.

OP
OP
StitchUp
Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Just arrived home with the key. It opened both front doors and started the engine so I'm happy with that BUT. The key was just cut on the standard cutting machine took all of 2 to 3 minutes and I was gone.

Yes, I did get the price before hand £70 as it needed to be programmed and would take 30 to 35 minutes, okay, £70 seemed a lot but I guess that's a price I was willing to pay for convenience. the whole process from handing the guy the key to receiving the replacement took no more than 3 minutes, he was in my line of sight for the whole time and no way did he need to clone the existing key and reprogram the duplicate - that's why I was surprised the £70 was still charged!

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
In that case you have paid for a service you didn’t get. I would have challenged at the point you watched him cut but not programme the key.

OP
OP
StitchUp
Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
I guess I just thought there was some sort of 'near field' force or other magic happening - I didn't 'feel' any!!!

I've raised the matter with their support and will await the outcome. If I don't get a satisfactory reply I'll also inform Tesco on whose entrance Timpsons operate.

Reactions: M-J
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
When I had mine done here they clamped the key to a macine that reads the cuts . The blank is inserted in the machine & it cuts it to the profile recorded. Whilst that is done your original key is being read by a code reader When cutting is finished a chip is inserted in the key that has been programmed from what was read. Normally here the key is checked after cutting doors & ignition but without the chip in.
Depending on vehicle it sometimes needs to be coded to the veicle & other keys & sometimes not.
60€ here. & 5 minutes of so.Better than Ford,s 300€+vat

OP
OP
StitchUp
Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
gus-lopez
Thanks for that, perhaps it's all to clever then and magic was at work :) in that case I've received the service I paid for :) just not sure why they told my wife 30 to 35 minutes!

Thanks

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Just arrived home with the key. It opened both front doors and started the engine so I'm happy with that BUT. The key was just cut on the standard cutting machine took all of 2 to 3 minutes and I was gone.

Yes, I did get the price before hand £70 as it needed to be programmed and would take 30 to 35 minutes, okay, £70 seemed a lot but I guess that's a price I was willing to pay for convenience. the whole process from handing the guy the key to receiving the replacement took no more than 3 minutes, he was in my line of sight for the whole time and no way did he need to clone the existing key and reprogram the duplicate - that's why I was surprised the £70 was still charged!
Contrary to my post, in that case sounds like job done. Probably quoted the time to justify the cost. But against dealer key it was cheap.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
if you watch the computer screen on a Timpsons counter, there is a branch counter which details current daily turnover and position against other sites, I asked the staff member if that was normal and he shrugged his shoulders and said that there is always pressure to earn as much out of each customer as possible, hence blank for office key cost 39p to Timpsons, cut it and charge £9.99 for 45 seconds work 🤨🤨
many of the staff are ex cons, just an observation, I think it’s great that Timpsons will give them a chance, but how many abuse it?

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
AFAIK the keys have to be cloned for Fiat unless using dealer diagnostic software. The new key will be identical to the original and therefore if the original code is removed from the vehicle BCM then both keys will stop working.

OP
OP
StitchUp
Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
if you watch the computer screen on a Timpsons counter, there is a branch counter which details current daily turnover and position against other sites, I asked the staff member if that was normal and he shrugged his shoulders and said that there is always pressure to earn as much out of each customer as possible, hence blank for office key cost 39p to Timpsons, cut it and charge £9.99 for 45 seconds work 🤨🤨
many of the staff are ex cons, just an observation, I think it’s great that Timpsons will give them a chance, but how many abuse it?

Sorta reminiscent of 'Fred the Shred' days :)

Thanks all

OP
OP
StitchUp
Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
UPDATE - Reply from Timpson Support

Hi John,

Thank you for emailing us, I’m sorry for the inconvenience.

I have just come off the phone with the branch manager Ryan and he said there must be a some sort of mistake with the price on this occasion, he would like to rectify this for you if you would kindly revisit the branch at your earliest convenience.

Thank you for your time.

Kindest Regards
James Bradburn
Part of the Family Since 2021

Customer Support Advisor

So, I went to see Ryan expecting a part refund. He confirmed there was no mistake with the charge of £70 - that is the price! He also confirmed that it was just key blank and didn't require programming hence the 3 minutes - he explained keeps his tools sharp!

I have of course replied to the above email. Buyer beware.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Stichup what make and year my son is a locksmith he will look up the price and get back to me.
Mind you he just said he would not trust Timpsoms to find him a shoelace😂😂

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
So, I went to see Ryan expecting a part refund. He confirmed there was no mistake with the charge of £70 - that is the price! He also confirmed that it was just key blank and didn't require programming hence the 3 minutes - he explained keeps his tools sharp!
So not a chipped key then? Does your starter system not require a coded key?

If just a key blank and then cut £75 is outrageous

As per my previous post our Aygo key only was £15 from a local shoe repairer.

OP
OP
StitchUp
Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Our Motorhome is 20 years old and doesn't seem to require a 'chipped key'.

This how Timpson defend their charges in their latest reply:

Hi John,

Thank you for responding, I apologise for the misunderstanding on my end with the branch.

In terms of the price, I’m really sorry that you feel that this was expensive, as with other recognised high street retailers we are not in the business of competing with independent businesses.

Our pricing is based on being able to provide our customers with the widest possible selection and availability of key blanks in the UK. We also guarantee every key that we cut and provide a dedicated telephone helpline to assist customers if any problems occur.

Again I apologise that you feel this way about the prices, I would like to offer you some complimentary vouchers as a gesture of good will from us to spend at your convenience; would you kindly forward me your postal address so I can make that happen for you?

Thank you for your time.

I'm not gonna waste anymore time with them - £70 for a blank key cut is just a rip-off and I won't use them again.

John

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
So not a chipped key then? Does your starter system not require a coded key?

If just a key blank and then cut £75 is outrageous

As per my previous post our Aygo key only was £15 from a local shoe repairer.
Mind you. A local mobile key company quoted £20 when I rang (lady, probably his wife answering the phone) but when he rang back he quoted £70. Didn't go any further with that conversation.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Our Motorhome is 20 years old and doesn't seem to require a 'chipped key'.

This how Timpson defend their charges in their latest reply:

Hi John,

Thank you for responding, I apologise for the misunderstanding on my end with the branch.

In terms of the price, I’m really sorry that you feel that this was expensive, as with other recognised high street retailers we are not in the business of competing with independent businesses.

Our pricing is based on being able to provide our customers with the widest possible selection and availability of key blanks in the UK. We also guarantee every key that we cut and provide a dedicated telephone helpline to assist customers if any problems occur.

Again I apologise that you feel this way about the prices, I would like to offer you some complimentary vouchers as a gesture of good will from us to spend at your convenience; would you kindly forward me your postal address so I can make that happen for you?

Thank you for your time.

I'm not gonna waste anymore time with them - £70 for a blank key cut is just a rip-off and I won't use them again.

John
It appears that employing ‘ex-cons’ includes head office too 😜

Aug 31, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
I need a spare for my Hymer 580 , it’s 2 years old There is a number engraved on the key which I guess is the key code . Do I need to go to a Hymer agent or has anyone had succeeded in getting one from someone else ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
StitchUp
Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Stichup what make and year my son is a locksmith he will look up the price and get back to me.
Mind you he just said he would not trust Timpsoms to find him a shoelace😂😂
:LOL::LOL:
Sorry for the delay, mine is a 2000 Fiat Ducato 2.8TDI - a Lunar Roadstar 720

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
My auto guys said Non remote one for £60 and remote ones can only be programmed with a pin from manufacturer which I have no idea how much fiat would charge for that. I would imagine about £150

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013

If the key start the vehicle it gas been programmed unless you have and thing that doesn't have an immobiliser in which case 15 quid would be an expensive key let alone 70

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back