Just visited chateaux at Chambord and Chenonceaux (1 Viewer)

Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
A few weeks ago we had fabulous visits to Versailles and Monet's garden, so we thought we would venture out again for a few days to these two famous chateaux which have been on the wish list for years but never got round to.

There were definitely more people than at Versailles, which was truly empty at the end of June, but still no coachloads of tourists, mostly French families with a few Dutch and German and a rare sighting of two UK cars at Chenonceaux. Keep off the grass signs at Chenonceaux were in French, English and Chinese, so they must be really missing Brits and Chinese. Staff at Chambord told me they are down about 2000 visitors a day because there are no foreigners (so probably half the normal number of visitors for this time of year).

Both chateaux were stunning and a pleasure to visit even though it was the peak holiday season, end July. So if you have a wish list of any special places in France I would say don't hesitate to go, and if you wait until September they are likely to extremely quiet if there are still no coaches.

Realise there is still a big coronavirus problem so you will need to bear that in mind when planning, but at all the places we went everyone was wearing masks and being sensible, even if not always that good at social distancing.

This is probably a once in a lifetime opportunity to explore some of the most beautiful tourist attractions in France - and Europe - at your leisure without being swamped by hordes of tourists. Enjoy! Couple of photos, one of the gardens at Chambord, the other of the main gallery at Chenonceaux, both very quiet.

FD04D1D6-64F7-455E-A21E-5DE8EBCD06D0_1_105_c.jpeg

8F967109-6DBB-4FDB-B228-63A1AE9B41E9_1_105_c.jpeg

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
For anyone going to visit Chenonceau, I recommend the restaurant that in the castle's orangerie. The restaurant took the name l'Orangerie de Chenonceau. It has been an unforgettable moment for us. Not cheap at 32€ per person for the menu (starters, main course and dessert without drinks) but actually great value.

OP
OP
SmithsInFrance
Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
For anyone going to visit Chenonceau, I recommend the restaurant that in the castle's orangerie. The restaurant took the name l'Orangerie de Chenonceau. It has been an unforgettable moment for us. Not cheap at 32€ per person for the menu (starters, main course and dessert without drinks) but actually great value.
Thanks for that - it did look lovely and we made a mental note for next time - but it was closed this time and staff member told me they didn't know when they would be opening, hopefully in September but nothing definite. Shame, but I suppose there just aren't enough people to make it worthwhile at the moment :(

OP
OP
SmithsInFrance
Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
We stayed at the aire at Chambord last year for two nights, it was well worth finding the 'hides' in the woods on the estate, we saw wild boar and stags at dusk.
We stayed at the aire too, just did the one night but too exhausted after a day round the chateau to venture out in the evening. Noted for next time, thank you. We didn't get to explore the canals etc either, the chateau is a full day on its own to enjoy properly.
By the way, did you hire the histopads to listen to the commentary? We did and were disappointed (unusually, we've always found them excellent at other places) - there was very little information on them and most, if not all, was on display in the rooms, plus additional info about paintings etc. Plus the headsets weren't brill, and those combined with hearing aids and a mask did get MrS very slightly grumpy (unusual for a Yorkshireman...)

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Love Chenonceau. Couldn't get anywhere near the aire, ended up at Camping Le Moulin Fort which was very good, British owned, and walked to the chateau. The railway station is just outside the chateau, 30 minutes into the centre of Tours. The view of the outside of the main gallery isn't bad either.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• long gallery.jpg
    long gallery.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 18
Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
Love Chenonceau. Couldn't get anywhere near the aire, ended up at Camping Le Moulin Fort which was very good, British owned, and walked to the chateau. The railway station is just outside the chateau, 30 minutes into the centre of Tours. The view of the outside of the main gallery isn't bad either.
Stayed there 2 years ago. Pleasant site with good bar. We cycled to the chateau then further along the river bank.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
A few weeks ago we had fabulous visits to Versailles and Monet's garden, so we thought we would venture out again for a few days to these two famous chateaux which have been on the wish list for years but never got round to.

There were definitely more people than at Versailles, which was truly empty at the end of June, but still no coachloads of tourists, mostly French families with a few Dutch and German and a rare sighting of two UK cars at Chenonceaux. Keep off the grass signs at Chenonceaux were in French, English and Chinese, so they must be really missing Brits and Chinese. Staff at Chambord told me they are down about 2000 visitors a day because there are no foreigners (so probably half the normal number of visitors for this time of year).

Both chateaux were stunning and a pleasure to visit even though it was the peak holiday season, end July. So if you have a wish list of any special places in France I would say don't hesitate to go, and if you wait until September they are likely to extremely quiet if there are still no coaches.

Realise there is still a big coronavirus problem so you will need to bear that in mind when planning, but at all the places we went everyone was wearing masks and being sensible, even if not always that good at social distancing.

This is probably a once in a lifetime opportunity to explore some of the most beautiful tourist attractions in France - and Europe - at your leisure without being swamped by hordes of tourists. Enjoy! Couple of photos, one of the gardens at Chambord, the other of the main gallery at Chenonceaux, both very quiet.

View attachment 410804

View attachment 410805
I think what you have done and how youre going about it is absolutely brilliant opportunism whilst remaining safe.
Well done the pair of you and I must admit i didnt think about these things until your Versailles photo last month.

OP
OP
SmithsInFrance
Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
The aire at Chenonceaux is right by the railway track and not very attractive (they won't let you stay on the chateau car park overnight, apparently the police come round and move people on. Shame as it is quite pretty with beautiful willow trees in the MH section).
We stayed at the Caves du Père Auguste less than 2km up the road at Civray-de-Fontaine. Free, 4€ for elec, small charge for water, spotless loo and you can buy a bottle or two as well. Would definitely recommend.

OP
OP
SmithsInFrance
Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
On French news last night, in July the visitor numbers to Versailles were down 80%, Chambord 15%, but some actually saw an increase eg Azay Le Rideau - but mostly french visitors, as we experienced.

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
I guess Versailles fell victim of its reputation of being constantly over-crowded.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
We stayed on the Aire at Chambord last year, & really enjoyed it! I thought the Chateau was very interesting, but one of the ugliest chateaux I’ve ever seen! No symmetry at all! Reminded me of something the kids might’ve put together with Lego!
892A47CE-9431-456B-967E-12B284E745B8.jpeg

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
one of the ugliest chateaux I’ve ever seen! No symmetry at all!

That is maybe the most significant aspect of the castle. François 1er wanted it asymmetrical, with one side for clerical guests and the other side for the state guests. This architecture is designed to shout the message that from now on the state and religion will be separated.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
If you're a TINTIN 's fan , you should visit Cheverny.
There's a whole part devoted to my childhood hero, but not only : The dogs 'meal is just something you must not miss! I don't know how many they've got but the Master of the pack is amazing. Not a dog makes a move before he says a word!

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
That is maybe the most significant aspect of the castle. François 1er wanted it asymmetrical, with one side for clerical guests and the other side for the state guests. This architecture is designed to shout the message that from now on the state and religion will be separated.
That’s as maybe, but it just looks like a jumble to me! I have to say the friends we were with & my husband disagreed with me entirely, & thought it was beautiful! Each to their own eh? 😀

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back