Just Crossed Over (UK-France that is)! (1 Viewer)

May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
Hi folks. We came access through the Chunnel yesterday and stayed last night at E.Leclerc in Lumbres France.

We are on a 3 month trip through France, Spain, Portugal, Spain again and France to home, I will update this as a trip report as I go but as a starter:

Had a booking on the tunnel for 4:50 pm on Sunday (15th) and arrived at the check-in around 1:30 pm so they sent us straight to the pet reception, where after checking Barney's AHC they issued our boarding ticket. They gave me an earlier train so we went straight to passport control and were on board within 15 mins.

The French border just had me hold up our covid certs to show we had two (one each) and stamped our passports.

We were called into inspection but only to check the gas. No search for food malarkey.

We had stopped at Maidstone services for a break and fuel on the way down the M20 (actually only put in £25 as it was £1.58ltr) to get us to Lumbres. The van parking area was chock full of Romanian commercial vans, almost impossible to negotiate the car park. I'm guessing they can't drive in Europe on Sundays so stack up at the services before crossing on Monday?

Ended the day at E.Leclerc carpark for a windy but pleasant night. Toped up with fuel at €1.38 and made it to Evreux for the nigh at a Camping Car Park Aire. Photos to follow if anyone has an interest!

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
made it to Evreux for the nigh at a Camping Car Park Aire

Nice Aire that one. We stayed about three years ago and walked across the road to the Cora supermarket and got some boxes of very nice Corbiérs red wine at a very nice price!!

Half expected a noisy night but very quiet for a town centre Aire.

Are the herb gardens still in the raised beds?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Well done Ian. Keep it coming ther'll be a lot of interest as you make your way across the various borders.

Ho yes, enjoy your trip

Jan 9, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi folks. We came access through the Chunnel yesterday and stayed last night at E.Leclerc in Lumbres France.

We are on a 3 month trip through France, Spain, Portugal, Spain again and France to home, I will update this as a trip report as I go but as a starter:

Had a booking on the tunnel for 4:50 pm on Sunday (15th) and arrived at the check-in around 1:30 pm so they sent us straight to the pet reception, where after checking Barney's AHC they issued our boarding ticket. They gave me an earlier train so we went straight to passport control and were on board within 15 mins.

The French border just had me hold up our covid certs to show we had two (one each) and stamped our passports.

We were called into inspection but only to check the gas. No search for food malarkey.

We had stopped at Maidstone services for a break and fuel on the way down the M20 (actually only put in £25 as it was £1.58ltr) to get us to Lumbres. The van parking area was chock full of Romanian commercial vans, almost impossible to negotiate the car park. I'm guessing they can't drive in Europe on Sundays so stack up at the services before crossing on Monday?

Ended the day at E.Leclerc carpark for a windy but pleasant night. Toped up with fuel at €1.38 and made it to Evreux for the nigh at a Camping Car Park Aire. Photos to follow if anyone has an interest!
Was your gas checked before boarding or on the French side?

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Ah i was wondering what the gas check was all about. So it's just to check it's switched off at the bottle, yes.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Nice Aire that one. We stayed about three years ago and walked across the road to the Cora supermarket and got some boxes of very nice Corbiérs red wine at a very nice price!!

Half expected a noisy night but very quiet for a town centre Aire.

Are the herb gardens still in the raised beds?
First one we stayed on..once I got in with a bit of help from a Frenchman, BUSBY.

Nov 15, 2007
Nottinghamshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20+ but 30+ as a tugger
Has anyone got any information on checking for food once reaching the French customs? We are off next month to visit our family (not seen the grand kids for nearly 2 years). In the past we have always taken the kids a treat or two - Marmite, Frosties etc. and our son likes a couple of rashers of good old English bacon. We have said its a no no this year but interested in any experiences.

Oct 1, 2019
Guildford
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMCI 680 A Cl
Exp
Since June 20
Has anyone got any information on checking for food once reaching the French customs? We are off next month to visit our family (not seen the grand kids for nearly 2 years). In the past we have always taken the kids a treat or two - Marmite, Frosties etc. and our son likes a couple of rashers of good old English bacon. We have said its a no no this year but interested in any experiences.
We crossed over on Friday morning via the tunnel. Only check we had was the gas locker. Fridge had a few things from home in that we were prepared to loose if stopped. Not heard of any fridge searches but numerous other vehicles were being directed into the French cussies line

Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
Was not checked on Newhaven Dieppe , although we were asked if we had anything to declare. As it happened, we didn't, but they weren't pulling any vehicles to check at 0500 in the morning!

Dec 20, 2019
Ormskirk/Burscough
Funster No
MH
A Class-Dethless
Exp

Awesome information. Look forward to your next piece.
Have a great day.

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
Not France but trip to Spain. No food checks seem more interested in looking for stow aways. Mirrors under van, came in van , dog sniffing at the door and went in the garage.

OP
OP
I
May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
First off - apologies to all who were planning to follow my original post and trip report - and thanks for the 'Likes'. As an update and a short version for those who don't really want to hear my tale of woe:

After leaving the Camping Car Park, and noting the weather in a 100 mile radius was pretty poor we went entirely off script, in fact we headed south and didn't get to any of the planned sites, but that is normal practice for us - the planning is 20% of the fun - then usually reality and weather changes things - even more fun ;-)

We made it as far as the Ardeche with a couple of stops between, on the river and really nicely positioned about 10m off the dipping pool (though weather was still decidedly dodgy). Had one night there (booked for 3) when we got a call to say that my Mum had fallen and broken her hip in the Dementia care home back in Newcastle.

So, on day 8 of our trip we headed home via the Tolls, just stopping for overnights, until Gravelines, the night before our Chunnel was booked. As I mentioned on another thread we stopped at a Pharmacy on the way into Gravelines just to ask, and they immediately gave us a Covid Test and Certificate (needs to be done up to 3 days before travel to UK).

Mum is back in the home now after surgery and we will get to see her for the first time tomorrow as there was some isolation for her to do. I believe she is doing well but very frail.

We made it home on the 31st feeling all was back on track, even met with PaulandChrissy in Newcastle to get some of his excellent 3d printed fittings sorted. However another wrinkle in life had its way with me, and after some 'health shenanigans' last evening I was pleased to be released from hospital - having been taken in with chest and back pains (same as my heart attack 6 years ago). Apparently all is good according to the barrage of tests they did, though even typing this is a bit painful. So the future is a little fluid and not sure if I'll get to write a trip report anytime soon - or even if its worth the bother having been shortened so much. Total 15 days out of our 3 month trip lol.

Couldn't make it up.

As an aside and a a caution for anyone as dumb as me (doubtful in this forum).
When we had to quickly organise all of the paperwork and tests to return home, it was stress we hadn't anticipated, and it took forever to actually get a company to supply the Day 2 tests, then I had to complete the PLF for UK travel. The PLF is to be completed online no more than 48 hours before arrival in UK. I was thinking (obviously wrongly) as 48 hours is two days; I filled our PLF in at 07:54 online on the Sunday and stated we would be travelling two days later at 8:20. Confirmation was sent from the Chunnel to say the PLF would be checked manually but not to worry as it would all be fine on the day. When we turned up at the Pet Reception and they checked us both and the dog in, she said our booking had been cancelled - because our PLF had been uploaded 26 minutes earlier than was allowed (48 hours and 26 minutes). She looked at me blankly when I asked what next (seemed the dog was ok to Travel lol). Thankfully she could see the idiocy of the situation (or the idiot in front of her), she rebooked us on an earlier train by 30 mins - the check in would probably have done that anyway.

Anyway - don't be dumb - 48 hours is not the day after tomorrow - necessarily. ;-)

As a further aside, we got the dog an EU passport in Arras - at the vet we usually stop at for his worming stamp and tablet. Passport, and tablet was €63.

Again, apologies for those kind soles who expected a trip report!

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Sorry you had to return early from your trip but glad your mum is back in the home after surgery. Hope she recovers well. Also glad your hospital stay wasn't too long and that everything seems to be in order.

There will be another trip when you can do a full report!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back