Just back from first trip (1 Viewer)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Well we've just about dried out from our first trip away - a week in the New Forest. The weather was mostly apalling so it's been a good test for us (2+ 2 dogs) as we were cooped up some days. You can only get so wet and muddy so many times before you give in can't you?:)

It gave me time to make a shopping list of stuff we need:D

Best tip off here? Buying a watering can for topping up the tank. The window vac and little rechagable car vac also got lots of use (dreaded dog hair).

We also discovered a couple of niggles with the van - the main one being dicky central locking. Couldn't get in when we were parked at the yacht club in Lymington - but it backs onto a nice pub so wasn't too bothered:drink:

Parking in the forest is fine - lots of free car parks, basically clearings in the trees or heathland. I wasn't sure about the towns but a parking warden said you just buy tickets for how many bays you're using. We managed to fit in one with our bum overhanging a tadge at the back

We tried parking at Hengistbury Head which comes under Christchurch/Bournemouth and couldn't find anything. There is lots of parking but there's either height barriers or signs saying cars/motorbikes only or double yellows - would appreciate it if anyone knows of somewhere to park up there?

We shared the driving and can see that we may be fighting over this. :boxing: We weren't sure how the dogs would take to the mh as one is really travel sick but he's taken to it like a duck to water. The other one is taking longer but that's because when we used to be in the caravan and I opened an overhead locker something would invariably fall out and land on her. :wub:

We took the van back to the lovely Simon at CamperUK yesterday to address the niggles and can't wait to get it back and get away again. Hopefully he'll also solve the riddle of the mystery switch :notworthy2:

We loved it and I can't wait to go again - just off to the NEC later with my shopping list::bigsmile: so hopefully may get chance to say hello to some of you(y)

Hope the post wasn't too long :yawn2::yawn2::sleep::sleep:

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Your initial experience would have driven the starry eyed notions of motorhoming that may lurk in anyones mind. Motorhoming is fun but to be fully enjoyed it must be enjoyed in all conditions and to have endured most of the discomforts of motorhoming ie bad weather, dogs in a motorhome, parking difficulties and mechanical hiccoughs, and still be enthusiastic shows you are a real motorhomer. From now on it only gets better.
Enjoy your motorhoming by being out and about as much as you can

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
For anyone visiting the New Forest, you can get a motorhome into the car park in Lyndhurst. Go to the side entrance, not the one in the High Street.
Drive around the car park to the area furthest from the Tourist Office. ( if you were standing with your back yo the Tourist Office building go to the area furthest left,then in front) long spaces for Motorhomes. You buy one ticket.
You can buy an annual clock, 3 hours in any N.F car park. I think the clocks are £20 now.
Lymington ( don't try on market day, Saturday) you can get a motorhome into the large car park behind M&S, again parking at furthest points, all but the biggest will fit in.
Brockenhurst--in theory you can get into the car park but personally I wouldn't try. Too narrow, too many cars parked on street.

Sorry-- don't know the Bournemouth area well.

I bought duvet covers from charity shops to use as seat covers. If you ever go to a £ shop you often see the small cotton rugs. Put on seats, they do prevent a lot of dog hairs getting embedded. ( same type in Ikea too)

Rainy weather with dogs is a challenge in a motorhome but you survived and enjoyed it!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Thank you both - 20 odd years of all year caravanning helped alot I think:)

We've been back to Lincoln to collect the van - all sorted(y) Very happy with CamperUK.

A further note re parking in Lyndhurst: approaching from M27 end, go down the main street (which is one way) go straight on at the end (A35) past the very posh car garage on the left. Take the next right, immediate left and immediate left into the car park. Plenty of FREE parking. HOWEVER - do look before you turn into the car park itself as weekends it gets full of cars. You can just carry straight on, there's further parking straight in front. 5 min walk back to Lyndhurst. The Mailman next to the posh car place does a good carvery on Sundays.

I hadn't used to be too keen on Lyndhurst but there's alot of new shops opened and most have signs up for 'dog friendly'.(y)

Just need to put everything back in and decide where to go next:)

Hard life innit:LOL::LOL::LOL::)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back